Home Forums General Discussion study re: "new" azithromycin for IBD/RA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

If they know it works, why not use it instead of developing a new one?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21554873

“Development of non-antibiotic macrolide that corrects inflammation-driven immune dysfunction in models of inflammatory bowel diseases and arthritis.”

“Like azithromycin, CSY0073 improved clinical, macroscopic and histopathological scores in mice administered DSS (12.5?mol/kg/day p.o.) and TNBS (45?mol/kg/day p.o.).”

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Anonymous
    Participant

“This study suggests the exploitation of non-antibiotic macrolides in the treatment of inflammatory disorders characterized by immune dysfunction.”

So what’s a “non-antibiotic” antibiotic? Its anti-inflammatory effect was studied instead of its anti-microbial effect on RA and IBD.

Suzanne
    Participant

Yes, they developed CSY0073 to see if could do what they know azithromycin can do. Why aren’t patients being offered azithromycin more frequently, if they know what it can do for these diseases?

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

richie
    Participant

Best guess is azithromycin probably cant or shouldnt be taken long term –that and if a slightly different drug is developed there is new patent protection —
    richie

marypart
    Participant

I think this study is driven by the idea that azithromycin helps auto-immune disease purely through it’s anti-inflammatory effects. I think they are wrong. It works because it clears out infection.

My son used azithromycin long-term as one of his many combos of drugs. It was one of the things that worked, I presume. My daughter was also on it for Lyme, daily for two years with no problems.

Suzanne
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Best guess is azithromycin probably cant or shouldnt be taken long term –that and if a slightly different drug is developed there is new patent protection —
    richie

Agree about the patent. My daughter is almost to 8 years…..but we have no better option at this time.

Suzanne
    Participant

@marypart wrote:

I think this study is driven by the idea that azithromycin helps auto-immune disease purely through it’s anti-inflammatory effects.

My point is that most doctors will not admit zith helps AI disease. The fact that they are studying this means that they know it does.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.