Home Forums General Discussion Strep and Mycoplasma? Interpretations?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    frenchmoxie
    Participant

I had bloodwork done a little while back (before starting on antibiotics) that revealed the following:

Anti-Streptolysin O 156 Range:

DNAse B Ab 335 (H) Range: <301

Mycoplasma
    M. Pneumoniae, IgG > 5.00 (H)

I should also add that I was diagnosed with Sjogren’s Syndrome in 2007 with positive ANA with high titer and positive SS-A antibody. I’ve been on minocycline since Dec. 2011 and haven’t seen any improvements really. Am about to add Zithromax to the mix. Any thoughts?

What I’m wondering is, should I be taking antibiotics to treat BOTH strep and mycoplasma? Doesn’t the IgG antibody just mean that I was exposed/infected with mycoplasma at some point in the past and not dealing with a current infection? What exactly does the DNAse B tell us? I’m not really sure how to interpret these results and would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

@frenchmoxie wrote:

I’ve been on minocycline since Dec. 2011 and haven’t seen any improvements really. Am about to add Zithromax to the mix. Any thoughts?

What I’m wondering is, should I be taking antibiotics to treat BOTH strep and mycoplasma? Doesn’t the IgG antibody just mean that I was exposed/infected with mycoplasma at some point in the past and not dealing with a current infection? What exactly does the DNAse B tell us? I’m not really sure how to interpret these results and would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!

Hi FrenchMoxie,

Here is some info on the anti-DNAse B test:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003537.htm

Yup, if you have a copy of the Henry Scammell book, Brown felt it highly important to treat rheumatic patients who had a history of strep (even if titers were low or non-existent when progress was slow or not happening) or high strep titers as it was his belief that strep prevented progress on a tetracycline alone. Azithromycin makes a nice complement to minocycline, but you may like to email Dr. S. in Iowa, as he has treated thousands of rheumatic patients and is very kind to respond to queries like this. He may even suggest that it’s better to pulse in amoxicillin. Would you like his contact info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_A_streptococcal_infection

Primary Sjogren’s can be a tricky customer and so as you haven’t seen any progress on mino alone, it’s definitely time to reconsider the protocol you’re on and check into ways to tweak it. Are you working with an experienced AP doc?

frenchmoxie
    Participant

Hi Maz,

Thanks for the info. I don’t have a copy of the Henry Scammell book, but I do have a copy of The Road Back. I had strep maybe twice as a child, scarlet fever, topping it all off with a nice bout(s) of mono in the 5th grade. These past few months I just kept thinking that since I’ve seen no progress on minocin alone that there’s still hope in the Zithromax, and suspect that the strep is probably where all my problems began.
    That would be great if you could send me the contact info for Dr. S. Not sure who he is but am open to any treatment suggestions. 🙂

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Primary Sjogren’s can indeed be a tricky customer. I’m working with a doctor here in Chicago. I honestly don’t know if he’s experienced in AP, but he’s the one who suggested I get tested for the mycoplasma and strep in the first place. I also don’t have health insurance so he works with me on payment issues and lab testing which is great!

Maz
    Keymaster

@frenchmoxie wrote:

I don’t have a copy of the Henry Scammell book, but I do have a copy of The Road Back. I had strep maybe twice as a child, scarlet fever, topping it all off with a nice bout(s) of mono in the 5th grade. These past few months I just kept thinking that since I’ve seen no progress on minocin alone that there’s still hope in the Zithromax, and suspect that the strep is probably where all my problems began.
    That would be great if you could send me the contact info for Dr. S. Not sure who he is but am open to any treatment suggestions. 🙂

Henry Scammell wrote an updated version that included the original, The Road Back, so it has a few more chapters in it and possibly some more patient stories….I don’t have the original book, so can’t compare, but Henry included a good deal about the history surrounding AP and also there were some chapters at the end that included one by Dr. S (whose contact info I’ll send in a PM to you) and some info to docs on how to titrate doses, etc.

To retrieve your PM, just go up to your User Control Panel and right beside it, just click where it will say (1 new message). 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.