Home Forums General Discussion skin turning blue from minocycline?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jae
    Participant

Hi everybody,
    I was diagnosed with diffuse scleroderma 18 years ago and starting taking minocycline a few months later. It has done absolute wonders for me.
    The reason I am writing is, the skin around my mouth has started to turn a blueish gray, which I’m thinking it might be caused by so many years on the minocycline, as I’ve read that it could be a potential side effect. My question is, is there is another drug in the same class that works as well (such as doxy?) but does not cause this discoloration? I’m afraid the discoloration will grow worse if I continue the minocycline, but I certainly don’t want the return of symptoms if I stop.
    Any help would be appreciated!

2000 dx’d Systemic Scleroderma & Raynaud’s
    9/2016 dx’d Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) (maybe RA?)
    12/2018 stopped Minocycline (100 mgs) (skin turning blue)
    Lyme disease testing – indeterminate | Slow progression memory loss
    Prednisone: 3 mgs | Azithromycin: 250 mgs | Sildenafil | Synthroid

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Rather than get off of the mino there are things you can do to eliminate the blue/gray stains (1) there are laser treatments that will remove them. Talk to your local plastic surgeon and google it also so you are armed with info and the laser type etc… google lasers and minocycline induced hyperpigmentation and you’ll see various articles etc… I have no clue if insurance covers it but they might (2) I’ve read on this board that vitamin c can prevent the staining, not sure if it can be reversed. I can only speak for me. I don’t care if I turn into a smurf (you know those blue cartoon creatures)…I’m not getting off the minocycline….but that’s just me and its a personal decision only you can make.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jae;
    This happened to my friend Dolores who used to post here 13 years ago.She switched to zithromax 5 days on and 5 off and within 2 years her skin was normal.It takes a long time to reverse as it is more than skin deep,it is in the tissues beneath.She had to have open heart surgery and the doctors were stunned to see blue veins and arteries.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Jae,
    I don’t have discoloration yet but my plan is to try switching over to zithromax like lynne’s friend if it does happen.

I’ve been taking vitamin C to try and prevent the buildup of the blue stuff in the first place. But I can’t really say if that’s an actually effective measure or not.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Jae
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. I am hoping to find a different antibiotic, but I will keep the laser treatment in mind.

Jae
    Participant

Thank you for your reply, Lynne. Did Dolores have scleroderma & was the Zithromax at that dosage effective for her? Is the dosage long term?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jae;
    Yes,she had SD but you would never know it today.She is still using zith 1 tablet a day for 5 on and 5 off

June3443
    Participant

I was getting bluing on my upper lip after being on minocycline for a few years. I switched to Doxycycline and the bluing gradual went away. Today I only have to take Doxycycline when I feel some of my symptoms returning. I noticed the minocycline seemed more effective for my hip pain and the Doxycycline was better for upper respiratory. I don’t think it was my imagination🙂

Jae
    Participant

Thank you so much everyone. It sounds like Zithromax & Doxy are both good options.

cookie
    Participant

I also have discolouration in my gums, eyes, and skin. I have started the Myers cocktail with glutathione once a week. I hope it helps to eradicate this. Not sure how often I should get these infusions or for how long – can anyone advise me on this. Thanks

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Cookie;
    I also have blueing around my mouth and eyebrows.Switched to doxy 3 years ago and it has not faded much.I get best results with niacinamide,3 capsules in 2 oz. of water,I just dab it on streaks and age spots.I take 2 caps of it and 3 of vit C daily to help also.It sure is slow going.I wanted to use zith but doctor refused.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.