Home Forums General Discussion Serrapeptase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

I took Serracor NK and I thought it was the best supplement I ever bought for my inflammation, I felt better taking it than not taking it, HOWEVER it costs $75 a bottle and it only lasted a few weeks, I cannot afford that right now, wish I could or I would buy 10 bottles. I was wondering if anyone felt better taking serrapeptase, because that is one of the main ingrediets in Serracor -NK?? I was going to buy some serrapeptase and see if it helped as much as Serracor NK. Thank you.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Sheri,

Yes, taking serrapeptase is a worth a try. It’s not really a good idea to take it for an extended period of time, though. What I would do is to alternate with bromelain. For example, serrapeptase for two weeks, bromelain for two weeks, serrapeptase for two weeks, and so on. The bromelain and serrapeptase used should be enteric-coated. The bromelain doesn’t absolutely need to be enteric-coated, but it is preferable, especially if you have acid reflux or a sensitive stomach.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

vera
    Participant

Hi Valsmum,

I started out with Serrakor NK myself, and because of the cost switched to serrapeptase (sold by that same company). However, I didn’t notice the dramatic difference like you did taking the Serrakor NK, so am content taking just the serrapeptase. If I miss my dose in the middle of the night, I feel achier the next morning.

Hi Phil,

You mentioned that you shouldn’t take serrapeptase for an extended time, but to alternate it. Is it harmful if taken on a long term basis? I’ve been taking it 2 to 3 times a day for a couple of years now.

Best,

Lori

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @Ruffian wrote:

I’ve tried Nattokinase and it actually makes me feel worse.

That probably means that it is working for you. What is most likely happening is that the nattokinase is breaking down junk that microbes are hiding in and/or under, thereby exposing them to the cells of your immune system.

Years ago, when I was in a lot more pain that I am now, I tried bromelain because I read that it is a natural anti-inflammatory. I didn’t take it more than a couple of times because I felt worse when I did. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have been so quick to abandon it.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Valsmum
    Participant

Ruffian,
    I’m sorry but I’m not sure how to answer your question, but I will do my best. My joints(knee) swell up to the point that they need to be aspirated. My wrist swells and get hot. My back and ribs hurt too, I feel achey all over, and the Serracor made me feel less achey. I have tried bromelain and I felt worse, but who knows, it could have been a bad week.

Thank you Phil for your suggestion, I will make a note of it!Take care.

Thank you Lori for sharing,now I am going to try serrapeptase soon. Take care.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lori,
    @vera wrote:

Hi Phil,

You mentioned that you shouldn’t take serrapeptase for an extended time, but to alternate it. Is it harmful if taken on a long term basis? I’ve been taking it 2 to 3 times a day for a couple of years now.

I don’t know that it’s necessarily harmful, but taking serrapeptase continuously increases your chances of developing an allergy to it. That’s true for all the systemic enzymes and not just serrapeptase. Although the risk may be small, it would be a shame to have to stop taking serrapeptase due to becoming allergic to it.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

kali
    Participant

Valsmum,
    I have also found great benefit from using serrapeptase. I could tell a difference almost immediately. I did quite a bit of research to find a quality, absorbable product – but that would not break the bank! Here is what I take:

http://www.enzymedica.com/products/SerraGold#tabsection

It has received really good reviews. I hope I don’t develop any allergies to it since I don’t plan on stopping it any time soon.

I have never tried bromelain – I need to read more about it… It seems I read that it can increase testosterone? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Anytime I mess with my hormones in any way, my pain has a mind of its own!

Valsmum
    Participant

Kali,
    Thanks fo the link, I will probably buy the one you recommended. That is so weird about bromelain and testoterone if it is true. I recently was given progesterone for endometriosis and the first time I took it I was free of pain and I’m in pain everyday, but it did not keep up the good feeling, it was short lived, I don’t know what it was. I was not expecting it to do anything,so I don’t beleive it was placebo because it was on the 7th day of taking it I felt better??? Then I took progesterone for a few more months and I felt awful taking it & I cried way to easily. Thank goodness I am not taking it, I try to take as littel as possible, Every medication has a side effect.
    Thanks again and take care!!

vera
    Participant

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information about serrapeptase and possibly developing an allergy to if it taken continuously without a break. Could that be true with other supplements that we take?

The serrapeptase I take has 80,000/capsule. I try to buy it on sale (usually on holidays it seems). It is quite reasonable then, if you buy a larger quantity. 🙄

Lori

kali
    Participant

Both Bromelain and serrapeptase have been shown to increase the absorption of certain antibiotics – particularly tetras. This may explain the extra herx some folks feel when taking it. In the second article it also talks about the effects serrapapetase has on bio-film. Maz has written about this many times.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-895-BROMELAIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=895&activeIngredientName=BROMELAIN

http://www.serrapeptase.org/serrapeptase-research/

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @kali wrote:

I have never tried bromelain – I need to read more about it… It seems I read that it can increase testosterone? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Anytime I mess with my hormones in any way, my pain has a mind of its own!

I doubt it. I did a quick search on Google and found a couple of articles saying something to that effect, but nothing I consider to be a reliable source of information. I then searched PubMed for research papers mentioning bromelain and testosterone and found nothing that could support that claim. My guess is that the claim that bromelain can increase testosterone comes from someone putting forth personal speculation as fact, or from some supplement company’s marketing BS.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

kali
    Participant

Phil,
    The only info I could find was also very scattered. It does not seem to be the case with Bromelain raising testosterone.

Valsmum,
    I wanted to let you know that Amazon has a much better deal on Serra Gold than the Enzymedica site. You can get double the amount for the same price. 😀

Kali

PhilC
    Participant

@kali wrote:

Valsmum,
    I have also found great benefit from using serrapeptase. I could tell a difference almost immediately. I did quite a bit of research to find a quality, absorbable product – but that would not break the bank! Here is what I take:

http://www.enzymedica.com/products/SerraGold#tabsection

It has received really good reviews.

I wouldn’t consider that one of the better serrapeptase products since the capsules are not enteric coated. Serrapeptase is destroyed by stomach acid, so the capsules really should be enteric coated. I’d figure that you’re maybe only getting about half the potency that’s stated on the label.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

kali
    Participant

Phil,
    I understand that enteric coating is necessary for most serrapeptase products. However, Enzymedica uses a special Thera Blend that does not require enteric coating.

Because Serratiopeptidase is an enzyme, specifically a protease, it has the ability to survive the digestive tract and cross into the blood stream remaining active.11

Check out the product description:
    http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/serra-gold-E60-p-enzymedica.html

Kali

Valsmum
    Participant

Kali,
    Thanks for the links, I appreciate them. I had so much pain a couple days ago I may go on a juice fast. My friend benfited from a juice fast, the kind in “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”. I will probably buy the serrapeptase from Amazon and see if it helped like the Serracor helped me.
    Have you heard of low oxylate diets? It help chronic diseases, but I haven’t found much on it regarding RA. Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.