Home Forums General Discussion Sensitivity to Tetracyclines

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    enzed
    Participant

Are there alternatives to the Tetracycline drugs, when a sensitivity to Mino and Doxy has developed?

If so, is there a recommended dose of the alternative AP for SD?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi;
    I don’t know if you remember Dolores from years back.She started with mino and got fairly well.Then went on MP and had full remission for a long time and then like a dummy she stopped.A couple years and the SD was back.Went back on mino and did not have much improvement.Her doctor switched her to 250mg zithromax 5 days a week and she is in full remission for the last couple of years.Needless to say,she won’t stop again.

enzed
    Participant

Thanks very much Lynne G.SD. This is very helpful information. I don’t remember Dolores but I’m glad she found the solution she needed.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Are there alternatives to the Tetracycline drugs, when a sensitivity to Mino and Doxy has developed?

Since you successfully used roxithromycin in the past, why don’t you use that? Also, since your doctor suspects that the culprit in your case is Lyme, perhaps a better question would be, “What antibiotics, other than the tetracyclines, are used to treat Lyme Disease?”

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

Hi,

Since you successfully used roxithromycin in the past, why don’t you use that? Also, since your doctor suspects that the culprit in your case is Lyme, perhaps a better question would be, “What antibiotics, other than the tetracyclines, are used to treat Lyme Disease?”

Phil

Thanks Phil. My regular doctor has never suspected I have Lyme disease although a ‘locum’ of his once suggested I be tested. Because the tests were not considered reliable enough testing was not pursued.

I think it more likely the SD is an effect of a lifetime of dental infections, including jaw surgery in 1998 or 1999 to clean out an infected root canal and scrape out pus that spread to under other (good) teeth in my jaw. The gaps left behind were filled with dental ‘concrete’ and I was on powerful antibiotics for months until I recovered. Back in the 1960’s I was hospitalised for a week and teated to reduce a serious infection in infected, impacted wisdom teeth. The teeth were removed when the infection was sufficiently under control for the surgery to be performed. I had previously had ‘mishaps’ with dentists and their dodgy treatments that no doubt contributed or may be an original cause. In my case, there is plenty of evidence to suspect dental infections as a cause of the SD.

On posts (on the original forum), Maz did recommend Roxythromycin or Azithromycin instead of tetracyclines for SD. Right now I have no access to Roxy although I can access Azi. That could be the next move.
    Thanks for your input.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Enzed Rulide is the roxythromycin brand most known but Biaxsig (not US Biaxin)is the roxy my AP doc recommends. Any chance you can get this one? I’m not sure what your doc situation is these days. Not all pharmacies stock it but my local compounding pharmacy does. Its also a great deal cheaper than Zithromax.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

enzed
    Participant

Enzed Rulide is the roxythromycin brand most known but Biaxsig (not US Biaxin)is the roxy my AP doc recommends. Any chance you can get this one? I’m not sure what your doc situation is these days. Not all pharmacies stock it but my local compounding pharmacy does. Its also a great deal cheaper than Zithromax.

Thanks very much Lynnie,

I’ll discuss the Rulide / Blaxdsig option with my GP and see how he reacts. What would a starting dose be for SD? Is it increased over time? The more dosage information I can give him the better my chances are he will agree.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks Phil. My regular doctor has never suspected I have Lyme disease although a ‘locum’ of his once suggested I be tested. Because the tests were not considered reliable enough testing was not pursued.

The reason I brought up Lyme Disease is because of what you wrote back in 2013:

I saw my doctor again today. She has been doing a lot of research on my behalf. After all the negative test results I’ve had for other things, we seem to have narrowed down the possible causes of my CREST to Lyme and/or Lupus.

We agreed there’s not much point in going to the expense of sending blood to the US for Lyme testing at this stage because the test results are not definitive and still need to be considered along with other factors, so it’s a clinical diagnosis anyway. Plus the doctor is now very confident Lyme is the likely culprit causing the CREST, having also taken my medical history into account.

See: https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/another-scleroderma-and-raynauds-story-starting-ap-today/page/2/#post-365168

Some infections require treatment with multiple antibiotics in order for the treatment to have a chance of being successful, and Lyme Disease is one of them. That’s why I mentioned Lyme — so you can have a better chance for a successful treatment.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

Hi,

I saw my doctor again today. She has been doing a lot of research on my behalf. After all the negative test results I’ve had for other things, we seem to have narrowed down the possible causes of my CREST to Lyme and/or Lupus.

We agreed there’s not much point in going to the expense of sending blood to the US for Lyme testing at this stage because the test results are not definitive and still need to be considered along with other factors, so it’s a clinical diagnosis anyway. Plus the doctor is now very confident Lyme is the likely culprit causing the CREST, having also taken my medical history into account.

See: https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/another-scleroderma-and-raynauds-story-starting-ap-today/page/2/#post-365168

Some infections require treatment with multiple antibiotics in order for the treatment to have a chance of being successful, and Lyme Disease is one of them. That’s why I mentioned Lyme — so you can have a better chance for a successful treatment.

Phil

Hi,

Phil

Phil, To clarify: The woman doctor I referred to in 2013 was a locum standing in for my regular doctor who was taking a long holiday of 3 months. She was a strong believer in Lyme because a close relative of hers had it – and he remembered the day he had been bitten by ticks. I had no memory of tick bites although after listening to her I was pretty convinced Lyme was a likely cause. It was later, after my regular doctor returned and she had gone that I researched a lot more about dental infections and SD and made a list of every dental infection I had ever had until I remembered them all. It’s quite a list. Dental then seemed the most likely cause. I think it was ‘A Friend’ on this forum who first alerted me to the seriousness of dental treatment and the infections that they can cause.

As you are well aware, these auto-immune diseases cause a lot of confusion regarding cause and we continue searching for the ‘most likely’ cause and along the way we discard possible causes until we home in on the ‘most likely’.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.