Home Forums General Discussion Salt and pepper spots

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nikkoal
    Participant

I have been on minocycline 1 year this week for RA/MCTD. I had the salt and pepper spots on my lower legs for at least 10 years before I knew what they were. I always assumed it was vitiligo. I was diagnosed last year after swelling of my hands and joint pain in my hands and feet. I noticed today that the salt and pepper spots on my legs seem to be diminishing. I keep looking, thinking I’m imagining it. I know many people with skin involvement report loosening of tight skin, but has anyone else had the salt and pepper spots that diminished over time? I’m really curious to know. My legs appear almost normal now!

Linda L
    Participant

What are salt and pepper spots?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Linda;
    This is just an other thing caused by scleroderma and company.I did not get that but once my skin softened alot of it looks like chicken skin as SD depleted sub cutaneous fat and never comes back.

sunny22
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    I have Diffuse SD. My Rheum from years ago called it salt and pepper spots. With me, they are white spots located on my lower legs and my forearms. They are small, scattered around, and are the same as the normal skin but without pigment. Mine are not raised or indented. They remind me of the white skin you see if you have a scab that is knocked off a few days early. I have noticed that there are fewer than there used to be since I began to treat the Lyme/SD, etc.. They may present differently in each patient. When they were pointed out to me, I became more diligent with applying sunscreen. I haven’t heard of any specific treatment for them. I am glad to hear your spots have greatly improved!

richie
    Participant

Hi There is no treatment for them –have had light on arms for 15 years or so –probably due to skin damage –the so called pepper whic is a blue tone is on both my lower legs –that is due to the minocycline –A man looks at it differently –I just shrug it off !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.