Home Forums General Discussion root canal infection and RA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LAR362
    Participant

Hi all. Just wanted to let all know my progress on AP recently. After 13 years of trying all the holistic approaches to RA w/little or no success, I finally had to go on Mtx and Humira. From the get go, my WBC went down. My Rheumy took me off of MTX first and I asked to be put on Mino w/ the Humira. WBC's still falling, doc later told me to stop Humira so i  asked for zith to be combined w/ mino. I gave him all the info on the infection connection. He reluctantly agreed. A month later WBC's back in normal range. I also at this time(dec 2008) went to the dentist and she found a gum fistula (pus pocket) on the side of the gum under an old re-treated root canaled tooth. Interestingly enough, this same tooth which had already been root canaled and capped when I was a teen, was discovered in 1995 to have an infection in it according to xray at a routine dental checkup. I had no clue of pain or infection in the tooth. I went to the endodontist and had it “re-treated”. RA set in w/i the year. Over the years, I would occassionally have very, very intermittant pain in that area of the tooth that would disapppear as soon as it started. Some days, the tooth seemed pressure sensitive and the next day…nothing. I had my dentists look at it at routine dental visits and was always told that “clinically” it was fine according to xray and percusssion. I even went to an endodontist in Dec 2007 and was told all was ok. and to come back in 6 months to recheck it if I still had any symptoms. Finally when the dentist told me(dec 2008) I had a gum fistula, I told her that I ALWAYS knew something wasn't right w/ that tooth! I went to the oral surgeon and he xrayed it and it CLEARLY now showed an infection. When he went to remove the tooth and pulled off the cap, he said “Its cracked right down the center and you have a BIG infection in it”. BINGO! I was then told that 99.9% of the time a fracture cannot be detected on a tooth by xray. I am convinced that this is the reason why I got RA. I was the picture of health before all of this all  this “tooth” stuff happened. My pain has gone down significantly now and am now just dealing w/ the damage done to my joints over the years. I am still on the mino and zith and am thankful for these meds and finding the “ROOT” cause of the RA. Anyone else out there w/ a similar story?

Little Red
    Participant

Hi
    The doc I go to studied with Dr. Brown and he says there is a lot to dental issues and general health.  I have had several root canals, fillings and crown & bridge work.  Per Dr. Brown when a tooth is abscessed and the bacteria isn't killed the bacteria will mutate into a different form and continually release bacteria into the system.  I am on the AP protocol hasn't been long enough to tell the difference.  The problem I have is I don't have the money to “fix” my teeth short of removing them all and getting dentures, don't know if I'm ready for that. I do believe that their is a corolation between the mouth and the rest of the body.
    Hope this helps.
    Little Red

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ root canal infection and RA’ is closed to new replies.