Home Forums General Discussion Reaction to wormwood tincture: herx or flare?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Katrin
    Participant

Hi, this is my first post here and still got a lot to learn! I have had RA for six months now. I’ve recently done a number of herbal antimicrobial treatments for SIBO and Candida which definitely caused herx symptoms, but I didn’t see any change in joint pain/inflammation/swelling etc for better or for worse.

However, I recently tried some wormwood (artemisia annua) alcohol tincture, which caused absolutely horrible joint pain after I titrated to the recommended dose. For context I have never needed or wanted to take painkillers for my RA but this flare had me sobbing in pain for about an hour (pain at maybe 6/10 compared to my usual 2/10). That only happened once and I haven’t taken it again!

I was wondering if this is typical of an RA-related herx or whether it was more likely to be a reaction to the alcohol in the tincture? I haven’t otherwise consumed alcohol since months before my RA symptoms began so I have no idea if I’m sensitive to alcohol. I assume it’s common for RA patients to be sensitive to it?

I’ve been trying liposomal artemisinin for the last four days and have yet to see any herx symptoms or changes in joint pain…

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Katrin,

Are you working with a doctor in regards to your RA treatments? Are you considering trying AP?

In terms of the difference between a herxheimer flare and a disease flare, you might find FAQs #20-25 helpful and I’ve added the direct link below to #23 on the main site:

FAQ#23: How do I know if I’m herxing or flaring?

I don’t have any personal experience of wormwood tincture, but I have avoided anything alcoholic since I got an RA diagnosis. This is for various reasons; I can’t tolerate it, I want to protect vital organs, and many forms of drinking alcohol contain sugars and grains. RA can make one feel foggy-brained as is, so I just prefer not to exacerbate that. I have been prescribed Liposomal artemisinin, however, and still take it at intervals in a pulsed fashion. I never experienced anything remarkable in the way of herxing but I’d been on AP a long time by then. I mainly found it helpful for its researched immune-modulating effects for RA and it’s other studied, remarkable effects.

Hope you feel better soon!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Katrin,

However, I recently tried some wormwood (artemisia annua) alcohol tincture, which caused absolutely horrible joint pain after I titrated to the recommended dose.

How long did it take for you to titrate to the recommended dose?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.