Home Forums General Discussion RA Has been called Cooked Food Disease

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

RA- Rheumatoid Arthritis has been called Cooked Food Disease. I like the following link, I deleted the previous article since I did not read the entire article and it had a few things I did not agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgq86GCd0U

jasregadoo

Oh my god, this treatment is SO restrictive. I certainly hope that I can get better without resorting to this kind of extreme diet/behavior.

Valsmum
    Participant

I know the diet is restrictive, but I could not walk to the mailbox without extreme pain. I had to stay upstairs in my house because I dreaded going down each step.My knees were swollen grapefruits for years, I walked with a limp in my 30’s when I could easily run 5 miles the previous decade.
    SO, to me, what I have gained, knees that are back to normal, except for a once or twice a year flare up, is not that big of a deal. Previously, I could not go trick or treating with my kids, or sit on the floor for a party game at my daughter’s birthday party because I would cry if I had to get back up, or give up a trip to an amusement park because it was too painful. The trade off is well worth it for me. I had a really hard time giving up grains and sugars. I feel best eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables , but I don’t do it like a religion, honestly I sneak in Starbuck coconut drinks in my diet and see how it affects me, but most of the time it does hurt and I pay for it. I wish it were different, but for right now I feel best eliminating grains, sugars and dairy and eating as close to raw as possible. The health I have received in return is well worth this sort of diet…… or behavior as you put it.

I don’t know what causes RA I just know what has made me feel better. The following doctors have similar diets and have helped patients feel better or heal from their RA.
    Dr Mercola -RA Protocol Diet , Dr. Joel Furman , in his book Eat To Live, Dr . Seignalet , Dr. Max Gerson from the Gerson Institute , and lastly not a dr but the man on ” Fat Sick and Nearly Dead “documentary (free on the internet)

Valsmum
    Participant

http://www.bettyrawker.com

I like the recipes on this website. I have tried a handful of them and they are TASTY! The gal that runs it has or had arthritis, in her spine. She was diagnosed with AS and now she eats raw and teaches classes on how to prepare tasty food that is good for people who suffer with arthritis.
    Take care!

jasregadoo

I know for a lot of people, diet seems to help. Especially dairy and/or grains. The article mentioned fasting for a week at a time and making yourself vomit, behavoir that could trigger someone succeptible into an eating disorder. Too far.

I’m glad though, that you’ve found what works for you. I think we all have to work for that. For some it is as simple as avoiding tomato sauce, for others it may be all nightshades, for others it’s dairy or grains. And for some, I think, there are no diet changes required at all. Dr. Brown had so many success stories, and I don’t think his patients had to go on restrictive diets. So I guess it all comes down to learning what is best for your body.

I do wish it were easier to know, without going on elimination diets for months at a time first.

Valsmum
    Participant

You are right about making oneself vomit, not a good idea or a good behavior on a regular basis. I did not read the whole article, I just found the cooked food theory interesting, especially since it hits so close to home. I found the part about too much sugar that is not digested properly turning into excess lactic acid, which could be source of inflammation. I don’t know ….it seems to be a theory, a theory that is interesting to me.
    Like you, I also believe that some folks have done well with antibiotics and no diet change. I don’t think they are lying, I think abx might cure some from RA. I thought I was going to die with the smallest amount of mino, 25mgs and I was ready to be hospitalized, it was awful. Side effect or herx reaction, whatever it was, caused me too much pain and inflammation , I tried for a year. Then I switched to eating lots of salad and my pain and inflammation started to lessen. After a year or so, I noticed the joints that were frozen and had no range of motion were moving again,(my dr asked me if I had fallen because it was frozen for over a year) it was all I needed to stick with what I was doing. Sometimes I get into a rut and eat a bunch of candy or have a slice of toast and I get myself into a nasty flare. The diet is hard for me , but at least I have an answer that works. Take care and I hope you have good health.

jasregadoo

I found Maz’s point on another post today “Hypothyroidism and Inflammation” interesting and perhaps connected. She mentioned how NSAIDS (motrin, etc) can cause damage to our stomachs and guts, and cause ‘allergies’ that weren’t there before. Dr. Brown also discussed the hyper-allergic state, and how the medications people take for these diseases make us much worse. So maybe the drugs we take for pain and inflammation give us issues with foods that we eat. My hope is that as we recover, and heal, that perhaps we don’t have to be so restritive in our diets. I don’t know if that’s possible or true, but it’s my hope.

I have a friend whose husband has gout. He is able to eat whatever he wants (within reason, and moderately) most of the time. But when a flair hits, he has to restrict to basically chicken and fruit. Once the flair passes, he can go back to moderately eating what he wants.

Valsmum
    Participant

I have read the same thing about NSAIDS that they might cause intestines to become permeable.
    It makes sense that food can go through the walls of the intestines and into the bloodstream or joint, and then the body sees it as something that is foreign and begins to attack, then we feel pain.
    I have mentioned that I feel pain the same day and often within the hour of eating a food on my no no list. I wish it weren’t true, but my knees are affected by grains and dairy , they get swollen then need to be aspirated.

ps I changed the link to a video of a lady that beat her RA she had for 12 years with raw food diet. She said she had taken over 95,000 pills. I like her video better that the original link I posted, so I changed it.

PhilC
    Participant

It’s not necessary to eat only raw foods. What is necessary, though, is to eat some raw vegetables. Cooked vegetables should not be the only source of vegetables in one’s diet.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

V, I did see you switched the reference. I agree, the first one was too much, though it did bring up some interesting points.

I know for some people, certain foods really make a difference in their pain levels. I have a friend who had joint pain, but not enough that he would go to a doctor for it…he went on a very restrictive diet for something else entirely, including no gluten, and his pain went away within a week. Amazing. I tried giving up both gluten and dairy, and no relief whatsoever. I’ve also tried no red meat, but that didn’t help. I haven’t done the super restrictive elimination diet, where you survive on air (I’m exaggerating) for a month or so, and then slowly reintroduce foods one at a time to see what the trigger might be.

I am finding relief with just the minocycline, so I’m hopeful I can just go that route. Dr. Brown didn’t change his patients diets, and the majority of them got better. So it must work for some of us to go that way.

Phil, I saw your note. Interesting about the raw vegetables. I eat a lot of raw veggies, and generally I prefer them to cooked, though I certainly eat cooked veggies as well. Thanks for that clarification, though.

Woods1977
    Participant

This is just my own patient perspective, but I struggle with the connection between food and RA. Please don

Linda L
    Participant

Valsmun,
    How long have you been on this diet and how many kg have you lost?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Jeanies Girl
    Participant

I’m going to throw my theory out there for some digestion. 😆

I was told that everyone has mycoplasma in their system, but in some it becomes an infection that gets out of control. My thinking is that if we have a leaky gut the mycoplasma gets dumped into the bloodstream and then has free reign to reproduce unchecked or because we don’t have enough good bacteria and yeast in our gut our system is not able to kill it as it normally would.

One thing Pat Blair said in the video that was interesting was on the 4th day she was better. That was always the case when we detoxed from MSG. It would always be 3 days of misery after eating something we shouldn’t have. Also, it’s always 3 days for our little guy when he has milk or wheat.

Now for the story for our little guy. We fostered him when he was 3 and 1/2 (this was obviously when we were having a good year) and then later adopted him. When we got him he did not speak, he had terrible tantrums, obsessed with anything that was spinning, droopy eyes, dazy look, not walking in a straight line, not crying when hurt, and other things I can’t think of off the top of my head because it has been so long. Anyway someone suggested his obsession with spinning things was a sign of autism. I didn’t really think so, but I read up on it. I read a book by Karyn Seroussi “Unraveling the Mystery of Autism”. She felt that the milk protein and wheat protein was dumping in the kids’ systems and acting as an opiate. She said that normally the protein is broken down in our gut but because of a leaky gut it is passed into the system as a protein. Our little guy mostly was affected by milk but we took him off wheat, too. When he first went into foster care he was initially with another family temporarily for 4 months. When that foster mother first got him the first thing she had to do was take him to the ER because his tummy was so hard due to constipation. She had to have him on Miralax the entire time she had him. When we got him, we lessened his milk intake by accident and he had a more whole food diet and never had to have the Miralax again.

I have since read about the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride who treated her own son for a severe learning disability with this diet. I have read other material that talks about healing the gut with bone broth and then replenishing the gut with probiotics (kefir, cultured veggies, yogurt, etc.). There is a wonderful site http://www.culturedfoodlife.com by Donna Schwenk who cured herself of high blood pressure, diabetes, and liver problems.

So my thought is that Little Boy, Husband, and I may possible have the same root problem, a leaky gut. I think our problem has to be fought from two fronts. I think we have to heal the gut to prohibit any future problems and use the AP to attack the mycoplasma that was let loose. This is my unprofessional opinion. 😉

FYI: Once we took Little Boy off milk he started talking. Now he talks more than anyone else in the family and even talks when no else is around. 😆

DX: Bacterial (mycoplasm) infection
    AP: Began June 2015
    Clindomycin IV 900 mg-every 3 months for 5 days
    Minocycline 100 mg MWF am and pm
    Flagyl 500 mg 2 x day for 3 days in a row every month
    Symptoms: Since approximately 1997-Extreme fatigue, (Intermittent: muscle weakness, stiffness, brain fog, lack of stamina)
    Supplements: Vit. C 3000 mg, Vitamin D 5000 IU every other day and 10,000 on remaining days, Vitamin B complex, Fish Oil 1000 mg 2 x day

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.