Home Forums General Discussion RA and fasting before surgery

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I am having cataract surgery on my right eye. The surgery will be about 12 noon. I was told no food after midnight. I read people with RA do best eating every few hours, keeping something in the stomach. I feel best if I do this. 12 hours is a very long fast. I will be sick if I fast that long. Has anyone dealt with fasting and surgery?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jan, when you say you will be sick, what exactly do you mean – and have you had something happen before in this regard?

I have had 12 hour fasts before an anaesthetic with no problem other than feeling a bit lethargic and before specific fasting blood tests with no problem at all other than feeling hungry. It’s important NOT to eat some hours before any aesthetic because the muscles in your digestive tract relax and that can allow food and acid to pass into your lungs.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

richie
    Participant

Lynnie is spot on –it is so important NOT to eat -so much can go wrong if you eat and then have an anesthetic –

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Lynnie- With nothing in my stomach, I have had horrendous headaches and dry heaves. There is an article’ Fasting before surgery- before and after surgery’ at HealthCommunities.com. I will be having conscious sedation- versed and propopal, not a general anesthetic. The article says the American Society of Anesthesiologists says you can safely have a clear liquid like fruit juice without pulp 2 hours before surgery and a light meal like toast and tea 6 hours before surgery. The no food after midnight is easy for the doctor, no different fasting for each patient, but it says some anesthesiologists modify the fasting.

lemons
    Participant

Hello Jan,
    I had conscious sedation prior to wisdom tooth extraction. The reason they advise fasting, is because if you have eaten, the medication will make you want to vomit post surgery.Vomiting after eye surgery is not recommended.Just think, afterwards your eyesight will be crystal clear again.
    N x

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

The article says they advise fasting so the food from the stomach doesn’t go into the lungs but with modern anesthesia that is not likely. If I have dry heaves I won’t be able to have the procedure. I do look forward to better vision.

lemons
    Participant

Jan, do what they tell you to do. Yes, you may feel like crap , but your eye sight is the biggest gift. I think you are nervous, don’t be. I have several friends that have had cataract surgery, and they all said it was a breeze afterwards and nothing to be worried about.
    N X

Maz
    Keymaster

Anesethiologists can provide anti-nausea meds in an IV to prevent nausea and vomiting post surgery. I asked for this prior to my thyroidectomy as I could think of no horror worse than vomiting after I’d had my neck cut open. It was a breeze and no nausea after being under a general for two hours. If they can’t provide an oral anti nausea med prior to surgery, why not reschedule for an earlier time of day? I’m sure they’d understand, considering your overall health situation. I was allowed to take a beta blocker a few hours before surgery with a sip of water only for my general. Your light sedation is likely much different, so if there is nothing they allow you to take to calm your nausea in advance (clear liquid or nausea med), maybe ask to reschedule to early morning.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Maz- I’ll call tomorrow and ask about the timing of the surgery. It is not until Aug. 29. If it was earlier that would help. Thanks.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Good news. They scheduled the surgery an hour earlier and the nurse said o.k. to the Am. Ac. of Anesth. recommendations- toast and tea 6 hours before and juice 2 hours before. That should help. Thanks all for your replies.

lemons
    Participant

Excellent Jan, but stick to apple juice. From my hospital days in the pharmacy, I remember that orange juice and grapefruit juice should be avoided pre and post surgery.Orange juice induces nausea and grapefruit interferes with blood coagulation.
    N X

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

lemons Yes, apple juice only. Don’t like orange or grapefruit anyway.

Maz
    Keymaster

All the best for your surgery, Jan. My dad had both eyes done and (no pun intended) never looked back!

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Maz- Thanks for the good wishes.

lemons- The apple juice is ready.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Update- The surgery went well. The toast and tea 6 hours and the apple juice 2 hours before surgery worked well. The anesthesiologists wife is on Enbrel. I told him about AP. My podiatrists wife works for Amgen.

Maz- I’M impressed that you asked for an antinausea drug when having the surgery. That was smart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.