Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SargeantMajor
    Participant

Hi All,

Thought I would post my update in the hope it can help someone, somehow……

I was diagnosed with RA about 7 years ago. However, I remember having problems with my hips as long as 20 years ago. It didn't stop me learning to paraglide 5 years ago, walking (slowly) up the hills with a 20Kg wing and harness (it was worth it for the journey down)!

I am now the mother of twin boys so the paragliding has taken a back seat for a time. Since giving birth 19 months ago I have had 2 very bad flair ups in the form of tendonitis. I overcame the last one with prednisone for 3 weeks (40mg pd), I couldn't walk, let alone pick my boys up. That was 3 months ago and now I can do everything 'normal' again. At  the same time I visited a naturopath and started a very strict diet of no dairy, wheat or nightshade food and a huge number of pills and potions. Unfortunately the diet has gone to pot over the last month, so I am uncertain if I am having a herx effect due to the 200mg of minocycline I started 2 months ago!

The pain now is different to the tendonitis flair ups, more joint based and certainly not as painful.

I will be going back on the diet, so will keep you posted.

Em

I have probably forgotten to add something so apologies, until next time……

SargeantMajor
    Participant

Now that I am eating 1/2 a banana with the abx in the morning I no longer feel so nauseous :D. My pains have not got any worse and…..dare I say it….might be getting oh so very slightly better.

My medications/supplements now include:

6am
    100mg Minocycline

8am
    Omega-3 1000mg x 3, Antioxidant ? Vitamin A,C,E, Se, Zn x 1, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc tablet x 1, Bioceuticals Intestamine (glutamine, slippery elm, aloe vera, N-acetyl glucosamine, pectin) to promote gut repair, Turmeric 1 tsp (4 gm) (has anti-inflammatory action), Bioceuticals InflamZyme (protein digestive enzymes, bromelain, papain) x 1 (used to help reduce inflammation), Homeopathic Ruta grav 30C ? 4 drops qid. (used to treat tendonitis), probiotic x 1, Thyroxine 100mcg in alternation with 150mcg (Thyroid – Hashimotos), a disgusting liquid made up of: Wild yam ? anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatic, antispasmodic and oestrogen-regulating properties, Rehmannia ? anti-inflammatory and adrenal gland support for withdrawal from corticosteroids, Chamomile ? anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer, nervous system relaxant, digestive support, Siberian ginseng ? Immune modulating and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis support, Globe artichoke ? support liver and assists detoxification and a herbal tablet for relief of allergies and possibly hypersensitivity reaction to endogenous gut flora – Albizzia (800mg bd) x 1

5pm
    100mg Minocycline

after dinner (8.30/9pm)
    As 8am bar the thyroxine and Albizzia!

😯 but hey if it works it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of prescriptive medication.

I now have to keep telling myself that I need to stay on my diet to fix the leaky gut!

Em

John McDonald
    Participant

I am a big fan of taking Mino with food. It was designed that way, as an improvement on the original tetracycline.    -john

SargeantMajor
    Participant

I guess you have to try and see what best works for you. That's the hardest thing with RA – it's an unknown and as everybody is different and drugs affect people differently, it's a minefield to 'cure'.

I think that's what makes this website so important and the more people who post their history and progress the better.

🙂

SargeantMajor
    Participant

After reading up some more I decided to try pulse dosing. I stoped taking the mino for 2 days and felt so much pain that I have gone back on my full daily dose. I can certainly vouch for the fact that 200mg per day does act as an anti inflammatory!

I will try to lower the dose again some time in the future.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

That may also have been a herx response! When you next try a lower dose, you could add some pain relief to get you over that hump. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

SargeantMajor
    Participant

NOTE TO SELF: Remember how much it hurts the day after drinking 3 glasses of chardonnay and don't do it again!!!!!!!!;)

Stiff sore joints, so it wasn't worth it.

I don't drink very often and if I do I have red wine as I find it doesn't have too much of an adverse effect. I probably should cut it out completely but I like the theory of 'a little of what you fancy' does you good, otherwise I would end up blowing a gasket and bingeing!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Note to self: the rare occasions (now) when I have a couple of glasses of red (my weakness) the backgound pain in my knees returns. My info is that (for me) it is the sulphur dioxide in the wine, not the colour. Sigh, Ciroc vodka you are now my only friend. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.