Home Forums General Discussion Pulse dosing macrolides

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    leerobert
    Participant

My husband had follow up with his doc today and he wants him to now pulse dose clarithromycin 3 days a week. For the last 6 months he has been on daily dose of 500mg and is doing well, doc feels like he is in remission so wants to cut back. Any thoughts with pulsing this drug?

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

aboyer
    Participant

That’s good news! I just started taking Clarithromycin myself. How long did it take your husband to have some pain relief? Were his inflammation markers elevated when he started clarithromycin? I’m wondering if this will help the swelling in my hands go down and my inflammation markers come down

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

leerobert
    Participant

Hi aboyer,

It took about 2 months for his symptoms to resolve and I could see improvements slowly as he was in a terrible flare last summer in between antibiotics. He didn’t have any visible joint swellings but his shoulder joints bothered him and his legs mainly. His CRP and SED rate were elevated for months, now normal. Very disheartening when he couldn’t tolerate the minocycline anymore due to drug fever after he had been on it a couple of years as that worked really well. I hope you get good results with clarithromycin!

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

aboyer
    Participant

Did your husband take anything for pain until the Clarithromycin kicked in?

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

leerobert
    Participant

Yes, he was on prednisone when he started. I think he was down to 5 mg then and he took that for the first month and the tapered down 1 mg per week until off pred the 2nd month. He had been on meloxicam before prednisone but was in such tough shape they put him on a prednisone. He takes only the clarithromycin now along with a few supplements.

Are you unable to do minocycline, too?

aboyer
    Participant

I cant handle mino. Causes me to have alot of head pressure. I was taking celebrex to try to avoid prednisone. It helps alot with the pain but im worried about the side effects.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Any thoughts with pulsing this drug?

With pulsing you increase the risk of losing the drug (and all the other macrolide antibiotics as well) due to bacterial resistance developing.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.