Home Forums General Discussion Profit Before Cures?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Chronic illness communities have raised concerns over the following CNBC Goldman Sachs report, published on April 11, 2018. While we are all aware that medicines chronic illness patients rely on for managing symptoms have an overarching business profit motive, new questions are being asked as researchers get closer to finding cures, such as:

Goldman Sachs asks in biotech research report: ‘Is curing patients a sustainable business model?’

“Is curing patients a sustainable business model?” analysts ask in an April 10 report entitled “The Genome Revolution.”

“The potential to deliver ‘one shot cures’ is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapy, genetically-engineered cell therapy and gene editing. However, such treatments offer a very different outlook with regard to recurring revenue versus chronic therapies,” analyst Salveen Richter wrote in the note to clients Tuesday. “While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society, it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow.”

A recent example is CRISPR gene editing, currently being studied in mice with rheumatoid arthritis (collagen-induced arthritis):

Gene editing could lead to a vaccine for arthritis

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

😡

Spiffy1

Oh, absolutely. We are all worth a lot more being sick. The only way to beat the system is to figure out our triggers and get well! There would be a lot of unhappy pharmaceutical companies if all we needed was a vaccine. If a vaccine would turn my DR4 which stands for Death Receptor 4 to the 4RD which would stand for Forever Dancing….count me in😂😂😂!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Yes, as we all know this is why a rheumetologist would sooner try to turn off our immune system with expensive drugs, leaving us with potentially horrible side-effects, rather than consider a cheap and effective solution such as minocycline.

On a related note, I went to three separate eye doctors recently in a quest to alleviate my chronically dry eyes. Every single one of them immediately wanted to put me on restasis – an expensive immune suppressant.

I went in to these appointments having researched other prescription alternatives and suggesting them, one such being Lacrisert, which is an inert lubricant with no side effects because it’s not really a “drug.” None of them had heard of it and none of them were willing to entertain the idea of letting me try it. It was restasis or nothing.

After a bunch of research on a chronic dry eye forum (on which, interestingly, I found no posts claiming that restasis was helpful in any way – only complaints!) I discovered posts supporting the claim that the simple act of WASHING THE EYE LIDS 2-3 times a day with occusoft or baby shampoo could alleviate the inflammation.

I gave it a shot and lo and behold my dry eyes feel about 75% better just from washing the eye lids. The theory is that there is some sort of biofilm that builds up around that area that your eye is reacting to (in people with autoimmune issues).

Why would 3 doctors rather turn off my immune system (and have me pay hundreds of dollars a month in the process) than have me wash my eye lids?

The answer to these kinds of mind-boggling questions is always money.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

* RANT TO FOLLOW*
    I think BigPharma and CDC and the various other entities have been so effective at manipulating the sick. We believe their way is the only way and that our good doctors are motivated by compassion and care for their suffering patients. It is a hard pill to swallow that we really are just $ to the majority of the medical community. I tested positive for mycoplasma with the highest tiger the doctor had ever seen. Astounding considering he had practiced in his native India in the slums. Yet despite this test result from a mainstream laboratory he never treated the infection. Now fast forward 15 years and I’m now dealing with RA and chronic Lyme. I hope his lack of action was motivated by his medical ignorance and not greed. Now here I sit afraid to try antibiotic therapy because mainstream medicine says that overuse of antibiotics will result in tolerance to infection fighting drugs and I will die from MRSA. I officially count myself among the jaded now. The medical community by and large is not out to cure and relieve suffering but rather to sustain suffering and profit from it.

CMS12
    Participant

My rant to follow as well!

I have worked in the medical/legal field for many years dealing with thousands of treating physicians. I have been appalled at the greed. Besides big pharma doctors are driving our costs of healthcare. These days docs graduate from med school and expect to be rich, not well off, but rich. Patient care has suffered extremely under that model.

Shannon I would encourage you to do the antibiotic protocol. The tetracycline family of antibiotics is not as prone to antibiotic resistance. I believe Dr. Brown talked about this in his book The Road Back. Mycoplasma are cell wall deficient and slow growing if I’m remembering right (I read the book ten years ago) and not as prone to resist antibiotics. All I know is that I was in such bad shape when I started in 2008 and now my life is relatively normal.

Hope that helps.

Cindy

Maz
    Keymaster

Now here I sit afraid to try antibiotic therapy because mainstream medicine says that overuse of antibiotics will result in tolerance to infection fighting drugs and I will die from MRSA.

Shannan_Lee, have you seen this article in Science Daily, referring to a study that says the opposite re: tetra abx and MRSA?

Long-term use of antibiotic to treat acne not associated with increased bacterial resistance, study finds

Original Study: Antibiotics, Acne, and Staphylococcus aureus Colonization: Arch Dermatol. 2011;147(8):917-921. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2011.67

Maz
    Keymaster

Shannon I would encourage you to do the antibiotic protocol. The tetracycline family of antibiotics is not as prone to antibiotic resistance. I believe Dr. Brown talked about this in his book The Road Back. Mycoplasma are cell wall deficient and slow growing if I’m remembering right (I read the book ten years ago) and not as prone to resist antibiotics.

Hi Cindy,

Here is the original info quoted from the Henry Scammell book (found also in FAQ # 9):

The prolonged use of most antibiotics can indeed give eventual rise to an immune strain of germ. Immunity is developed in a germ’s outer surface, which is the area affected by penicillin and other antibiotics. Tetracycline is different from all other antibiotics in that critical respect: it affects the core of the germ, not the outer surface, and therefore no immune strain of germs ever develops as a result of its use. Moreover, people who use tetracycline over a period of months or years tend to avoid colds, pneumonia, and other diseases. —The New Arthritis Breakthrough, by Henry Scammell, page 260

Tetracyclines have been around since the mid-1940s and still in use today. In fact, the African soils in ancient Nubia were so rich in the microbe from which tetras are derived, Streptomyces, that the people of those times used to rub the sediment that formed in their beer barrels on their teeth to prevent tooth decay!

Ancient Nubians took antibiotics in their beer almost 1,500 years ago

Maz
    Keymaster

I discovered posts supporting the claim that the simple act of WASHING THE EYE LIDS 2-3 times a day with occusoft or baby shampoo could alleviate the inflammation. I gave it a shot and lo and behold my dry eyes feel about 75% better just from washing the eye lids. The theory is that there is some sort of biofilm that builds up around that area that your eye is reacting to (in people with autoimmune issues).

Pinkmoth, that is fab info! So glad to hear you are sorting your dry-eye out! 🙂 One thing that some folks will have done is have tear duct plugs inserted to prevent the moisture from draining. Your method sounds to be preferable, given that microbial biofilm might be the culprit. “First, do no harm.”

Spiffy1

But oh my goodness I got Johnson’s Baby shampoo in my eye one time on accident and it really really burned. I could not get over how much it hurt. Exactly how do you use this without harming your eyeball? My mom suffers from dry eye and I would love to tell her about this.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

Spiffy1

Tell me exactly how you do it. What do you use? A q tip? Is it diluted?

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Thank you Maz! I don’t know why I keep thinking in the back of my mind, “do I really have RA?” Every time I have gotten symptoms of something, like nerve pain or strange neurological symptoms and Dr.’s tried to say it was MS or Lupus or whatever the tests never proved their hypothesis, usually it was disproved. Now I have the positive Anti-CCP and joint pain. Dr says it’s inflammatory arthritis. How is that different from RA? Just terminology? I guess I’m in denial that I have come through so much only to be b*^#, slapped by RA. Atypical inflammatory arthritis that is….sorry for the rant.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

One thing that some folks will have done is have tear duct plugs inserted to prevent the moisture from draining

Yes, the punctal plugs – I had these put in about a year ago. They definitely helped, but lately dryness has gotten worse (while all my other symptoms have gotten so much better!)

But oh my goodness I got Johnson’s Baby shampoo in my eye one time on accident and it really really burned. I could not get over how much it hurt. Exactly how do you use this without harming your eyeball? My mom suffers from dry eye and I would love to tell her about this.

Tell me exactly how you do it. What do you use? A q tip? Is it diluted?

On the dry eye forum some people were saying baby shampoo was what they used. But then another person was talking in that thread about how baby shampoo has a lot of weird ingredients and isn’t expressly made for this purpose so it’s probably best to not use it. They said they used stuff formulated for this purpose, like occusoft. Right now I’m using these wipes ( https://www.amazon.com/OCuSOFT-Scrub-Plus-Pre-Moistened-Count/dp/B000US084U ) but I’m going to be switching to the bottle ( https://www.amazon.com/OCuSOFT-Scrub-Foam-Plus-1-68/dp/B000Q8ISXM/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1524018507&sr=1-7&keywords=ocusoft+lid+scrub+plus ) because using 2-3 wipes a day burns through the box real fast and the stuff isn’t cheap.

The box includes directions on use.
    Sidebar: I found this stuff on the shelf at my local rite-aid drug store. When i finished the first box I thought id just order more on amazon. The printing and packaging material was ever so slightly different. It kind of spooked me out – I feel like you can’t really be sure you’re getting the legit product on amazon as there are lots of bootleg products on there. So I will be getting it from my rite aid from now on.

This is the dry eye forum I was visiting while researching people’s experiences with restasis http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/archive-treatments-and-products and thats how i stumbled across the eye-washing trick.

Interestingly, they have some posts on abx therapy

For the past year my eyes have always been red. For the first time I’m seeing them look white again. Let me know if it helps you or your family members after trying it!

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Spiffy1

Thank you so much! This is great information. I will pass it along. Right now the doctor has her on of all things doxycycline. She started with 100 mgs once a day and is now to like 50 every other day and she will stop at some point. She also told her to massage her tear ducts a certain way. So interesting. Thank you!

Shannan_Lee
    Participant

Hi. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. R. K.. for 5/7. I’m super excited to hear her wisdom. Thanks for the nudge!

RBFV Note: Please note the forum policies and guidelines posted in the announcements at the top of this forum. To protect doctor privacy, we ask that forum users only use doctor initials when posting here. Thanks for understanding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.