Home Forums General Discussion Problems Tolerating Minocycline

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Red Lizzy
    Participant

I have been on AP since last July 2017 using Augmentin 500mg daily. I have both Sclero and Sjogrens and it has been keeping things in check so far, but recently I am developing signs of RA and blood work is rising too. My symptoms are number joint pains and popping, also getting pain in my heel all of a sudden, worse in morning when just getting up. I tried using Doxycycline and it seems to work, the pain subsides, but the nausea is really bad, even after eating. With Minocycline I have no issue even on an empty stomach but the problem is I tend the have Kidney issues with high creatinine and low GFR to the point where my nephologist is saying get off it the value are not good. Why could it be the Mino affects me that way, I have not heard of anyone here with a similar problem. The checked for DILE, but nothing shows up. Once I stop the Mino the values reverse to Stage 3,but the nephologist is afraid little by little they are damaging my kidneys until it will be permanent.

Maz
    Keymaster

Heel pain can sometimes be attributed to plantar fasciitis. People with and without rheumatic diseases can get it and it can also be a symptom of other things, like hypothyroidism (common co-morbidity of rheumatic disease, especially in women).

Signs of Thyroid Disorders

Are you taking minocycline with augmentin? What dose of mino are/were you using, Red Lizzy? Do your labs suggest mixed connective tissue disease?

It’s prob best you use alternate abx if kidneys are at risk. Has there been any sign of lupus in your Labwork/symptoms?

Are you seeing an experienced AP doc?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I tried using Doxycycline and it seems to work, the pain subsides, but the nausea is really bad, even after eating.

Did you take the doxy before or after eating, and how much food did you take it with?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I can’t speak as to the medical side of things…I’m just a fellow patient and “some chick on the internet” of course. But I was on doxy before I took mino. I can tell you this, I always took the doxy with food. Also, I believe that, that Dr. Brown treated patients (correct me if I’m wrong Maz) with Tetracycline (not doxy or mino). You could always try tetracycline, I think if your doctor thinks that would be easier on your system. Maz is my recollection correct about the tetracycline?

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Whaleharbor,

That is a good thought, although Red Lizzy would need careful kidney monitoring and her doc may be reticent to try it. I asked about real (not drug-induced) lupus as a mixed connective tissue disease overlap, because lupus nephritis can be a real issue, part of that rheumatic disease syndrome, so it may be safer to ask to trial a different class of Abx?

I am also wondering, Red Lizzy, if the minocycline you were using might have been an old batch? Out-of-date mino (or any tetra) can lead to kidney toxicity. It’s just one of the anomalies of tetras.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.