Home Forums General Discussion posting on the new Board

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Manda
    Participant

[user=3]John McDonald[/user] wrote:

Also, if you have the right kind of web browser such as MS explorer, you get indications at the topics level on the left, of icon color, icon mouse-over messages, and arrows that tell you if there is a new post or not. That can be handy.

Wow. What a shame that the software isn't a little more flexible with regards to the “wrong” kinds of browsers. 😉

Looks great on Firefox and Konqueror, except for the missing mouse-over messages. Still get lovely icons, changing colours indicating what has been read, unread and is new, and arrows.

My only wish is that there was a “simple” version of the editor (where I'm typing now) – it's pretty and all, but I don't need all that. It slows things down while it's busy loading all the images for the buttons I'll never use. lol

Admin

My only wish is that there was a “simple” version of the editor (where I'm typing now) – it's pretty and all, but I don't need all that. It slows things down while it's busy loading all the images for the buttons I'll never use.

That sort of thing can be turned off if it is the will of the constituents.

Jennhere
    Participant

[user=38]Manda[/user] wrote:

Except that it has 27 different discussion areas?? Eek.. I hope we have only a few.. (or one)

Manda,

I actually think it's better having separate topics.  This could get excruciatingly long here.  Especially with people posting topics such as… “I emailed you”  I mean, I think that's going to lengthen the board with things to scroll past.   I think in the case of the bb … new and different is better than the old.  JMO.:)

Jenn

Jennhere
    Participant

So, we have the “General Discussion” forum.  Are we going to have a breakdown of this forum?  Like- “General Discussion”, “New to AP”, “AP Basics”, “Herxing”, “Doctor Locations/Information/Referrals”, “Diet and AP”, “Board Technical Issues” ….. that kind of thing? Maybe make a spot titled something that could be for friendly chat with one another to help develop a community feel…. 

Because, everything lumped under “General Discussion” has the potential to get very difficult to navigate.  I was thinking maybe the RBstaff would think it wise to make some other forums to help organize the posts.  And then- if someone accidently posts a question about being new to AP and needs help, the RBstaff can pick that post up, put it in the right forum where it can be addressed better.   Maybe shoot off an email to the improper posting poster that the question is valid and we want the best answers for him/her but to keep it all organized, you moved it to the proper forum!

Jenn:)

I'm editing here, because I don't think I was clear.  (if I was, skip this part).  Already, the “General Discussion” forum has two pages of sub-topics.  There are quite a few that will never develop beyond the initial post.  But, if there were additional forums with strong topics such as “New to AP” or “Doctor Locations/Referrals/Locations…and the other stuff I mentioned above, we would have tighter boards.  Less to wade through.  A newbie could post a shout out for help, or would know right away by the arrangement the very best forum to head to in order to find information such as “Doctor Locations”.  If there was a question about Doctors posted under a forum for “Info about Herxing”, the RBstaff could redirect the post to the proper forum and all with experience could respond there.  New or lurking posters who aren't signed up could easily find information this way, too. 

Another edit:::  I just posted my first edit and saw John's response.  That was kind of funny.  But seriously, if you look at a board like the one at Celiac.com… it makes sense.  It's very tight over there and a new poster just falls in and gets it.  The info for a newbie is easily accessible.  You may be new and freaking out- so you see a board for that and you post your confusion and people respond there rather than along side posts about recipes and fecal tests!!:D

Jenn the Splitter;) 

John McDonald
    Participant

Ah, Jenn is a splitter. Lyn is a lumper. I'm going to enjoy this. This software permits either. My money is that some splitting will prove to be irresistable but there is a strong current for keeping it simple too. But I propose that we first get all the old-site participants on the new software.

Parisa
    Participant

Jenn,

Umm, not to change topics but have you had your hormones tested recently? 

It's been interesting to see what people choose at their avatars.

Jennhere
    Participant

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

Jenn,

Umm, not to change topics but have you had your hormones tested recently? 

It's been interesting to see what people choose at their avatars.

Why do you ask?

Jenn

Manda
    Participant

Maybe it was just an initial “Oh my goodness! Where do I begin” reaction to those forums – but one thing I'll stick by – there is a sub-category for areas outside the USA.. which begs the question… do people in the USA get the whole forum, and everyone else only gets the one sub-category? I know that's not likely, but it made me wonder..

I love the avatars of everyone. 😀

Edit: Just noticed something strange about using Firefox – my spell checker doesn't work in these fancy editing boxes.. I was wondering if I had suddenly become worlds greatest speller.. lol :dude:

Bill
    Participant

I totally understand Lynnie's desire for community and simplicity, as i share it.

On the other hand Jenn does make some good points and with this particular software, some seperation may prove more efficient and effective in the long run.

Whatever the case Im sure we will get it worked out well in the longer term. I just hope everybody keeps posting and gives it  their best shot to make it all work.

Bill

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Bill, maybe you've hit on something good here – a kind of mid-point between lumping  and splitting  – maybe splumping???????
    Seriously, what concerns me is that, on other similar baords, I miss a great deal (and so, presumably do others) when there are so many different areas in which to post. And I rarely have the time to look through everything, sometimes finding stuff I'm interested in by accident, months down the track. Have just been raising  my hand for something that remains simple and very user-friendly. Best, Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Bill
    Participant

Lynnie,

Splumping ehh ?? Another classic Ap term has been created ! Very funny Lynnie !

I hear and share your concerns. I was extremely comfortable with the old format and sure wish there was a way to fix it and make it spam proof.

Im very pleased you are raising your hand and over here working to make our board a community again. Your input is vital and appreciated!

We definitely need to have it as simple and user friendly as possible. Im with you there. We certainly want to get all the old posters  on board again and back to work helping one another. And yes let's keep it simple! Thank you, for All of your input and help, Lynnie.

Blessings,

Bill

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Bill – What an absolute gentleman you are!

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Bill
    Participant

Thank You Lynnie, very kind of you to say!    :blush:

Suzanne
    Participant

The reason I would like some 'splitting' is that I really like 'seeing' the lighter side of board members, and it would be nice to have a place for that.   

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ posting on the new Board’ is closed to new replies.