Home Forums General Discussion Possible Barrett's Esophagus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Hi folks,

So I’ve been reporting about my difficulties with the generic minocycline after Brand Minocin no longer was available. I have CREST scleroderma and had achieved complete remission for 6 years on Brand Mino. After three years of trying different generics, going overseas, etc. I’ve had some recent luck with the Zydus brand. My ANA anti-Centromere ratio has come down, my Raynaud’s which had come back for the first time since 2010 has abated, and most importantly, an echocardiogram I took a few weeks ago revealed “No evidence of pulmonary hypertension.” Prior to AP my pressure was a scary 45. So I’m thrilled that this particular generic seems to be working. It could also be due to increased vigilance of 12 hours between doses and avoiding dairy for 2 hours on either side.

BUT, sadly, all news is not good. Over the past few weeks I’ve had increasing bouts of chest pain that has landed me in the emergency room twice. I had a full cardiac workup which revealed some coronary artery calcification, however the nuclear stress test was normal and showed no blockages etc and I was told by the doctors at the hospital that my chest pain was not cardiac in nature and could be gastric.

Which was kind of timely as today I was scheduled for an endoscopy/colonoscopy anyway and lo and behold, the doctor comes in and says the procedure revealed likely Barrett’s Esophagus. I did a search on this forum and saw a few posts but nothing recent so I thought I’d just ask if anyone has recent experience with this malady and if so can share?

I see there is often a recommendation of lifetime doses of Nexium or other similar product. I know there are a lot of anti-Nexxers out there who say this destroys the body’s ability to make stomach acid, etc. Some say apple cider vinegar is preferred, which is odd, as that is acidic, right? Anyway I have taken ACV on and off over the years but the last batch was bad and I haven’t had it for several months. I’ve heard things like no eating within 4 hours of bed, but that is absolutely not happening. I’ve consumed a bedtime snack nightly my whole life, albeit a benign one: yogurt and oatmeal and simply cannot sleep on an empty stomach.

Anyway this potential diagnosis is quite a shock and wondering if anyone can provide insight.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Have you tried digestive enzymes?Many years ago I had terrible reflux but eventually found out about this.
    I tried several brands with varying benefits on a trip to GNC health food store for something else I spied their big blue bottle that had a mix of over 16 different enzymes,one for fat,one for dairy,one for cellulose etc etc.The bottle only cost around 30$ so I tried it.WOW ,in 2 weeks no more gerd or slow motility .
    I use them all the time,2 with a meal and one with a snack.My husband can’t live without them either because as we age we make less and less HCL and that is why you see many older people eating Tums like candy.The price has hardly changed over the years but the blue bottle might be changing to beige so don’t get confused

redrock
    Participant

Thanks Lynne, I was taking Essential Enzymes from Source Naturals a few months ago but slacked off. Maybe I’ll try them again or perhaps try your brand. I have a particular dislike for GNC due to their ridiculous charging of a yearly fee for their rewards program. But I’ll see, thanks.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Redrock, my current integrative rheumatologist recommends zinc carnosine, which has the effect of protecting the mucous barrier in the stomach and gut. Zinc carnosine is said to help relieve stomach inflammation and dysbiosis and improve the integrity of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Likely needs to be taken well away from thyroid meds and minocycline.

Other helpful supplements that may be worth researching for efficacy (and to exclude any potential interactions) may include DGL, aloe vera, and slippery elm, all of which are said to coat the esophagus and help prevent further reflux inflammation. Peppermint oil in enteric-coated gel caps can help reflux and IBS symptoms. Black raspberry powder with high polyphenol content is said to be an effective free radical scavenger and seems to reverse Barrett’s esophagus in studies. D-limonene also protects and coats the stomach/esophagus and relieves stomach dysbiosis.

redrock
    Participant

Thanks Maz! I currently take this form of zinc: https://www.vitaminworld.com/chelated-zinc-50mg-0070002063.html?rrec=true but I will see about switching. I assume it’s a different form of zinc?

I will look up the others as well however I remember something about peppermint oil being a bad thing because it relaxes the sphincter, allowing for more reflux.

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes you’ll want to research these to make sure they will be suitable for your specific situation. There are various forms of zinc – yes – sort of like magnesium citrate or magnesium glycenate or magnesium chelate. Each form has different actions, bioavailability, etc, and brands will use different fillers.

KarenR
    Participant

Hi Lynn,

Can you tell the name of the GNC digestive enzymes.

Luck20
    Participant

Lynne, can the digestive enzymes be taken near the time of the minocycline? Or are the best far apart like probiotics?

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Karen,Luck:
    The name on the bottle is Super Multi Enzyme Formula and I take them about 20 minutes before a meal.I take my mino or doxy with breakfast but do not need any enzyme for that meal as it always consists of fruit and a small slice of toast. Raw fruit have all the enzymes you need,same with raw veggies .Cooking kills most enzymes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.