Home Forums General Discussion Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) for pain

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

Vitamin B5 is supposed to have beneficial effects as found in prednisone without any of the harm–

Pantethine is a derivative of pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5). When inside the body, it is converted into Coenzyme A. coenzyme A is one of the few substances that the body needs in the metabolism of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. It is also the basis for the production for adrenal steroidal hormones which have an anti-inflammatory effect. The use of Pantethine is therefore an excellent choice when it comes to conditions such as allergies, asthma, lupus, or psoriasis. Because it helps in the production of cortisol, the body’s natural steroid, anybody who is taking prednisone or other steroidal medicine stands to benefit. While it may not be able to replace drugs, there is often a synergistic effect and the amount of drugs required may be reduced. Pantethine also allows the adrenal glands to generate more omega-3 fatty acid in the body. Omega-3 fatty acid is well known to have anti-inflammatory properties. Reducing inflammation and inflammatory response is a key recovery pathway in allergic therapeutic setting.
    http://www.drlam.com/opinion/allergy.cfm

Lots of information can be found online. Here is just one more–
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/853.html

Love to hear from anyone using this and their results–

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jaminhealth
    Participant

Pantothenic Acid is in my arsenal…I usually take 500mg daily sometimes 1000mg… How much it helps I don’t know.

We had a health consultant at Rainbow Acres here in LA area and she was called the Pantothenic Queen as she recommened it a lot in higher dosing. Forget just how high of dosing….

It’s known to help with pain and depression.

In this study it’s mentioned that 2grams daily would be good and also mentioned RA:

pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=107&pid…

jaminhealth
    Participant

Talked to my friend who knew the Pantothenic Queen and said the dosing she recommened was starting with 100mg and working up to a level where you felt a shift…yes it does raise cortisol and for those with low cortisol this B5 could be helpful. I have 500mg capsules and that’s the dose I normally take every day or every other day.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Thank you for bringing up this information about Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) Trudy…I’m going to be cutting back on Prednisone soon and I think Pantothenic Acid will come in handy for the adrenal glands.
    I ordered some today…thanks again!

Take Care!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

Trudi
    Participant

@JoAnnC68 wrote:

Thank you for bring up this information about Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) Trudy…I’m going to be cutting back on Prednisone soon and I think Pantothenic Acid will come in handy for the adrenal glands.
    I ordered some today…thanks again!

Hi JoAnn–
    I’m glad you found this information usefull. Hopefully it will also be of help. Let us know.

Hi Jamin–
    Thanks for your input. In case anyone wants to check out the website in Jamin’s first post–here is the complete link–
    http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=107&pid=33&gid=000336

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

This is interesting, Trudi – thanks! I take IV Myer’s Cocktails every 1 or 2 weeks (along with glutathione), which include Vit B5 and I continue these regularly as I receive such benefit from them.

Thought this info from the link you posted was pertinent for tetracycline users:

“Possible Interactions

If you are being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use vitamin B5 supplements without first talking to your health care provider.

Antibiotics, Tetracycline — Vitamin B5 interferes with the absorption and effectiveness of the antibiotic tetracycline. You should take B vitamins at different times from tetracycline. All vitamin B complex supplements act in this way and should be taken at different times from tetracycline.”

I think most folks are aware of the oft-repeated, “Keep all supps away from abx,” mantra around here, but this may be news to newcomers.

Hope all is well with you!

Trudi
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

This is interesting, Trudi – thanks! I take IV Myer’s Cocktails every 1 or 2 weeks (along with glutathione), which include Vit B5 and I continue these regularly as I receive such benefit from them.

Hi Maz–
    Glad to hear you are getting such a benefit from the Myer’s Cocktail. My understanding of the Myer’s Cocktail is that it is very nutrient dense. This brings me to a recommendation that my daughter’s friend, an emergency room nurse, has given me. It is the moringa plant, which has an abundance of nutrients; here is some info on it–
    http://moringamalunggay.com/John_Hopkins.pdf

She feels that anyone suffering from a chronic illness benefits from this moringa plant because of its nutrient value.

Not sure if I will use it just now. If I truly have damage from the Cat’s Claw (and all signs point to it) then “do nothing” is encouraged to get rid of the toxins in the body. Even high dose supplements are to be avoided since they can be toxic to the body.

Take care,
    Trudi

Maz
    Keymaster

Trudi, thanks for sharing, but very sorry to hear of your toxicity issues. Have replied to your email. 😉

jaminhealth
    Participant

Another friend just talked about taking Pantothenic Acid for burning feet. I have a friend who has burning feet ideopathic neurology and, of course, her doc NEVER told her about B5, slapped neurontin on her….she took it for a lot of years and got off it recently, has been taking grapeseed extract which is helping the feet, but I’ll have to tell her about the B5 for the feet.

Those conventional docs just don’t know, writing scripts for drugs, they know well. Thank goodness for the health boards and all the alternative information out there that we MUST seek out.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Just reading more on B5 and talking to 2 friends about it for various reasons….here is some dosing info I found:

Vitamin B5 is available alone as calcium panthothenate (8% calcium, 92% pantothenic acid). However, to avoid vitamin B imbalance, take a B-complex formula that includes Vitamin B5 or with other B vitamins.

Regular stress relief 250-500-mg per day

Rheumatoid Arthritis 2,000-mg (1,000-mg twice a day)

Lower Cholesterol/Triglycerides 900-mg (300-mg three times a day)

This vitamin is available in 100-mg, 250-mg, and 500-mg capsules. Vitamin B5 should be taken with water after eating.

laurawm
    Participant

Hey jamin –

Since reading this post I’ve been taking extra B5 everyday at about 700mg per day. I haven’t noticed any significant change beyond a very slow improvement over time that has been going on continually. I’ll try 2000mg and see if I notice anything more. I’m sure it does help, but perhaps just not as quickly as prednisone, and I’m sure it also depends on how bioavailable the vitamin is to the endocrine system when taken orally and processed through the digestive system.

Laura

jaminhealth
    Participant

Laura, you did read where one needs to take a B Complex while taking xtra B5….Most days I take 500mg and lots of days I take 1000mg. What do I notice, probably less pain…

When I get cold, everything is worse….I’m on heating pad now. jam

laurawm
    Participant

hey jamin – I take “pure encapsulations Nutrient 950” as a multivitamin/mineral supplement – it has all the B vitamins. Honestly, I take so many supplements that it’s hard to know what helps/doesn’t help. Although continually in pain through most joints, I am still functional in my daily life, though at a much slower pace with lots of naps and lots of detox. Perhaps the extra B5 is helping more than I know… I am not taking any cortisol or prednisone.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Me too Laura, lots of supps….lots of pain…but who knows could be worse without my supps….at least no side effects….I don’t take any drugs so for me that’s a big one. I took a pharma drugs for inflammaiton yrs ago and ended up in the ER with stomach ulcer….sooooooooo…

I don’t know if the B’s in a multi count…my multi has some B’s, but I still take a Now Foods 100 complex….I don’t take my multi every day, usually every other day.

It’s colder and I hurt more. jam

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.