Home Forums General Discussion Pain & vitamin D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

Increasing my vitamin D3 from 1000 IU daily to 5000 IU daily did a miraculous thing for me. 

Not only did I feel better, but 3 herboden's nodules on my right hand shrunk significantly.  Two nodules all but disappeared completely and are no longer noticeable.  The 3rd most seriously deformed nodule is now barely noticeable.  Full functionality returned to all 3 fingers.

My rheumatologist/LLMD said this NEVER happens in the field of rheumatology.

You couldn't take my Vit D3 from me without killing me first.

I also recently broke my foot when my baby horse stepped on it.  It healed in half the time a healthy person's foot would heal.  The Urgent Care physician said people with RA normally take twice as long to heal.  The orthopedic surgeon was stunned at the “amazing amount of bone I had put down” …Her words.

I am certain Vit D3 plays a part in that healing as it does help the body absorb calcium better.

Susan

I just got my vitamin  D test results back–32. That's considered low-end normal. After listening to Dr. Hollis M.D. (vitamin D researcher of U of SC) on public radio, I've decided to increase my supplementation. He said adults should be between 50-70. Interestingly, I had my blood sugar tested at the same time as the D and it was a little high, flagging me as pre-diabetes. According to Dr. Hollis, there is a connection between low D and diabetes, as well.

orchid
    Participant

I agree about the vit d. I've read both sides and like Kim said – keeping in simple.

I notice I just feel better when I'm out in the sun. That has to be saying something. Today – I woke and we have blue skies and sun…and it just immediately improves my mood. The Marshall Protocol has obviously worked for some so kudos to the treatment, but different strokes for different folks.

LaJones – thanks for all of that good info. I really curious about that probiotic. I'm also excited that they mentioned cutting out gluten.

I'm asking for a sauna for christmas (wow, how things change – LOL). The kind that you sit in (zip yourself into) – are those pretty decent or do you have to spend a lot of $$ for a decent model?

louris
    Participant

[user=1212]APbeliever[/user] wrote:

One thing just confused me though as to why AAEM would discuss AP since this organization only deals with emergency medication and consists of emergency team doctors and related staff.

I think maybe the EM in AAEM in this instance is Environmental Medicine.

heathman11
    Participant

LJ,

Regarding Klaire Labs, do you remember the name of the Pro-Biotic?  Went to their site and looks like they have several branded products.  I want to get what you tried.

Thanks for your post,

Jim H.

A Friend
    Participant

There are a lot of people with RA that will not agree with taking more Vitamin D. Please search for Marshall Protocol (MP) with google or you can search on this forum as well. It did work in my case. Dr Marshall who cured his own autoimmune disease with his protocol is well respected for his ideas.

APBeliever, All,

This isn't from Dr. Marshall, but rather by one of the foremost researchers of Magnesium and its deficiency and its relationship to disease. 

I've wondered, but have never asked Dr. Marshall, if perhaps Dr. Mildred Seelig's research may be the reason for his stance on not supplementing Vitamin D.  I have to admit that after searching her documentation on magnesium deficiency and on supplementation of Vitamin D, it has all been big eye openers.  The title of the book is:  “Magnesium Deficiency in the Pathogenesis of Disease.” 

I believe it's important, especially for our group on RBF BB with chronic illnesses, for each of us to become familiar with the findings in this work. 

I've sometimes wondered if the reason many feel better when taking Vitamin D supplements is that it is a hormone, rather than a true vitamin.  Was thinking then that prednisone is a hormone… isn't it? Prednisone does make those taking it feel better; but, is it good for them?  

This link below is to the online scientific book, free, and searchable.  Dr. Seelig is deceased.  What I learned prior to finding this online book, is that we do need a certain amount of Vitamin D, but my understanding is that we do not need large amounts from supplements.  I have no way of knowing, for sure.  But, having read the research (and from my own rather dramatic circumstances), I do tend to believe it.  I did have the recommended Vitamin D testing several years ago, and I was low.  There was an explanation for why I probably tested low, but this related more to other conditions rather than true Vitamin D deficiency.  With their explanation AND with what I read in the online book, I now definitely have decided not to take supplements of Vitamin D myself. 

If you will click on the  long link below, it will open.  Then, if you will click on “Edit“(to the right of “File” at the top left); then in the little window that you'll see, type in “Vitamin D”, it will find each instance of Vitamin D for you. 

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/chapter14.shtml

Open the above, then to read some profound findings about Vitamin D, especially notice the information in paragraphs 14.3 and 14.4.

[The whole book is searchable, in the same manner, using any words in the search window you choose.]

AF

APbeliever
    Participant

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting it in here. So should we supplement magnesium with Vitamin D-3? I have been experimenting for the past week or so with magnesium tablets and 5000-6000 IU of Vitamin D-3 spray to see if the pain levels decrease. My pain levels did decrease but then again I also developed cold and fever which throws a monkey wrench in the whole experiment:D . It seems with an infection and cold our immunity gets busy with other problems and does not attack the joints as much. This is my assumption and I a newbie at RA so I am just collecting information. What are your thoughts?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

APBeliever – I will chime in here with my own recent expereince with the magnesium and D3 issue. My D3 results were at the lower end of normal range which some believe should be treated as deficient. I was prescribed a good calcium/boron supplement with a little D3 in it, which I was advised (AP Doc/Naturopath) to take at the ratio of 1:2 with the magnesium supplement I already take. I was also advised that, to get the benefit from the sun, at least 30% of the body needs to be exposed.

However, post an illness a few months ago, I have recently had severe upper leg muscle aches especially in the evenings/at night. As I was told that too much oral magnesium will cause loose stools, I didnt want to take too much more orally. But, I realised that I probably needed more magnesium so found a good magnesium cream which I now use late evening on my thigh area. The combination has worked very well. Lynnie

Interesting additional note: In the Diagnostic Hints and Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses 2008 (which is available at lymenet) is says that magnesium defiiciency is often present and quite severe in those with Lyme and other tick borne illnesses.  

[align=left]
     [/align][/size%;”>[/size]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JustPeachy
    Participant

Kim,

I agree with possible food allergies and pH causes for disease. Check out the “no dairy” link below. In my case, I have SEVERAL autoimmune diseases. Sugar also bothers me. You are right, “keep it simple!”

Excerpt:

Diseases of Foreign Protein

Many conditions can be traced back to reactions to cow's milk.
    Milk contains more than 25 different proteins that can induce
    adverse reactions in humans. (26) Our immune system perceives
    these foreign proteins as alien invaders, like a virus or
    bacteria, and launches an attack in response, as in the case
    of type-1 diabetes discussed above and many other allergic
    and autoimmune diseases.

DISEASES CAUSED BY, OR LINKED TO, DAIRY PROTEINS

General: Loss of appetite, growth retardation.

Upper Gastrointestinal:

Canker sores (aphthous stomatitis), irritation of tongue, lips and
    mouth, tonsil enlargement, vomiting, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD),
    Sandifer's syndrome, peptic ulcer disease, colic, stomach cramps,
    abdominal distention, intestinal obstruction, type-1 diabetes.

Lower Gastrointestinal:

Bloody stools, colitis, malabsorption, diarrhea, painful defecation,
    fecal soiling, infantile colic, chronic constipation, infantile food
    protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES), Crohn's disease,
    ulcerative colitis.

Respiratory:

Nasal stuffiness, runny nose, otitis media (inner ear trouble),
    sinusitis, wheezing, asthma, and pulmonary infiltrates.

Bone and joint:

Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, lupus,
    Beheta's disease, (possibly psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing
    spondylitis).

Skin:

Rashes, atopic dermatitis, eczema, seborrhea, hives (urticaria)

Nervous System (Behavioral):

Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, autism, schizophrenia,
    irritability, restlessness, hyperactivity, headache, lethargy,
    fatigue, “allergic-tension fatigue syndrome,” muscle pain,
    mental depression, enuresis (bed-wetting).

http://www.notmilk.com/tudrmac.html

Kim
    Participant

Thanks, JustPeachy.  I feel better being off dairy than I did when I eliminated gluten a year ago, so I now know what I wish I'd known long ago. 😕

Take care…….kim

A Friend
    Participant

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting it in here. So should we supplement magnesium with Vitamin D-3? I have been experimenting for the past week or so with magnesium tablets and 5000-6000 IU of Vitamin D-3 spray to see if the pain levels decrease. My pain levels did decrease but then again I also developed cold and fever which throws a monkey wrench in the whole experiment:D . It seems with an infection and cold our immunity gets busy with other problems and does not attack the joints as much. This is my assumption and I a newbie at RA so I am just collecting information. What are your thoughts?

APbeliever,

Why do you think you need to supplement D-3?  (I'm seeing no history at the bottom of the pages  when you post.)

Am wondering if you supplemented adequate magnesium and didn't supplement the D, if your low Vitamin D would be corrected? 

Another addendum/excerpt from the online book from Chapters 13:

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/chapter13.shtml

13.2. Intensification of Magnesium Deficiency and Renal Damage by Excess Vitamin D (Animal)

Vitamin D toxicity, with or without high calcium intakes, has long been known to cause soft tissue damage…….

AF

A Friend
    Participant

APBeliever,

Here's another excerpt from the site of the online book on Mag Deficiency:

Inadvertent proof was provided that hypervitaminosis D produces metastatic calcification when very high doses of vitamin D were used to treat arthritis, even when the intake of calcium was not high (Danowski et al., 1945; Mulligan, 1947; Frost et al., 1947; Howard and Meyer, 1948; Reed, 1950; Christensen et al., 1951; Verner et al., 1958). In such instances, the calcium, phosphate, and matrix were drawn from the skeleton and deposited in soft tissues. In one of the studies (Frost et al., 1947) magnesium was studied and found to be low during the vitamin-D-toxic period and to rise when the overdosage was stopped. The evidence that some arthritic processes might be consequences of magnesium depletion suggests that seeking and correcting magnesium deficiency might be useful.

It is advisable to explore the magnesium status of patients with osteopenias before loading them with calcemic agents, which might prove useless in some or unduly toxic in others if magnesium deficiency is present. If hypercalcemia has already been induced by high doses of such agents as vitamin D or its congeners or metabolites, or by parenteral loads of calcium, the magnesium serum level and 24- hour urinary output should be determined. A parenteral magnesium load may be inadvisable until the hypercalcemia is corrected, and not by phosphate loading.

[this is from Part III, Chapter 14]

AF

APbeliever
    Participant

Friend, I read your article and your hypothesis as well. I only take magnesium and vitamin d-3 supplements in the form of sublingual spray without any calcium additives. I wanted to see if I could decrease the pain since I am unable to take any antibiotics due to unknown liver damage caused by antibiotic. At first, I tried Marshall approach and that also decreased pain for a few days but then pain came back with a vengeance. Then I tried vitamin d-3 spray along with magnesium and I did see a significant decrease in pain without taking any prednisone. However, I am taking anti-inflammatory all this time. I wish I could take antibiotics again. Mino did help in resolving my arthritis pain but unfortunately did not agree with my liver. Tried doxy same result:crying:

APbeliever
    Participant

Friend your reasoning is very sound and I like the way you think. Just wanted to add that in here :blush:

APbeliever
    Participant

Vitamin D-3 and Diabetes:

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2. I started taking Diabetic meds and was sent to Thailand for a few months for an assignment. Thailand has plenty of sunshine all year around and I was exposed to it continuously. After a few months, I noticed my sugar levels going down after a meal to very low levels that I was almost passing out. I checked it with local doctor who told me to cut the meds in half . Ok I cut the meds in half. Ater a few days, I was still get low sugars. The doctor told me to cut off all meds for a week for another tolerance test. I went to the lab after three weeks since I was very busy with work. The tests came back normal and my H1Ac (average sugar in blood)results were 4.1 or so. Doc advised me not to use diabetic meds anymore. I was confused. When I got back to states, I checked in with the same doctor had diagnosed me as diabetic. He didn't believe me and tested me again. Guess what! Normal again. He retorted this is not possible. You did not loose any weight to get non diabetic. Vitamin D-3 !!!! I checked with so many medical journals and indeed it is Vitamin D-3 that does effect your blood sugar as well other issues. This is my personal story so I know there is no other explaination besides Vitamin D-3. I only wished now that I had researched it more and I could have used more of Vitamin D-3 to avoid getting RA.

I also wanted to add in here that I did try Dr Marshall Plan or MP for a few weeks and my pain levels did reduce but that didn't last too long. However, I still don't believe in using Vitamin D-3 supplements as per Dr Mercola since Vitamin D-3 toxicity could result as well due to supplements. Our body actually limits the amount of Vitamin D-3 it gets from sunlight. It could even reduce the Vitamin D-3 levels only when exposed to sun if it determines that it has plenty of Vitamin D-3. The body cannot determine this with Vitamin D-3 supplements. So natural way of getting sunshine or by using a safe tanning bed as suggested by Mercola is the best option

http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2009/08/05/5-ways-vitamin-d-could-save-your-life.aspx

But increasing numbers of scientists are agreeing that vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of:

• Bone and muscle problems
      [/*:27icwtne]
    • Many forms of cancer
    • High blood pressure
    • Depression
    • Multiple sclerosis
    • Rheumatoid arthritis
    • Diabetes

[/*]

Candyass
    Participant

I read in a newsletter by Dr. Blaylock that D3 is very beneficial in pretty much all inflammatory conditions. He recommends 10.000 IU per day which is what I take, a pure D3 in liquid form. I noticed a big difference within a few days and have been taken it ever since.

To my surprise at my last visit to the rheumatologist, there were nice pamphlets sitting on the wall, one of which was on D3 – the pamphlet said the same thing, that though the daly recommended intake is 400 IU, they suggested 10.000 IU for people with RA as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ Pain & vitamin D’ is closed to new replies.