Home Forums General Discussion Off of prednisone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    whaleharbor
    Keymaster

My rbf friends have been on this journey with me for quite some time now and I think it's easy to not participate in the board when things are better.  However, it is equally important, I think to give back and post positive happenings for others in need of hope.

Here's the summary

1st year on AP I took 20mg (yes kids that is not a typo…twenty) of Doxy.  Got better then got worse.

Next 2 years on AP took 100mg of Minocycline every other day with food.  (Dr. prefers for me to take without food but I can't tolerate it that way so this is our compromise).

Now after approx 2 decades of RA and pretty consistent prednisone dependence, and 3 years of AP… I am off prednisone. Took quite a while to get off the prednisone all together and lots of pain and fear through the process but seem to be progressing nicely now.  I've not taken it for about 3 weeks now.

Praise God and thank you all.

My road continues…godspeed and good travels on your road.

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

mtgas
    Participant

[user=217]whaleharbor[/user] wrote:

Now after approx 2 decades of RA and pretty consistent prednisone dependence, and 3 years of AP… I am off prednisone. Took quite a while to get off the prednisone all together and lots of pain and fear through the process but seem to be progressing nicely now.  I've not taken it for about 3 weeks now.

Praise God indeed! Congratulations!

I have been taking prednisone daily since Oct. 2007 and tried to wean off of it very slowly. I got down to 2.5mg but had to bump it up since there was too much inflammation. 🙁 

How did you taper down and how long between each taper did it take for your body to adjust to the new dosage?

Congratulations again. Getting off of prednisone is a HUGE achievement!!

Michelle

nspiker
    Participant

Whaleharbor,

What great news…congrats!

I hope Sir Rifes alot reads this.  It's a perfect example of how some are sensitive to abx, but in the end  triumphant!

You're off to a great 2010…(first time I wrote that, seems unreal, 2010)
    nancy

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for checking in Whaleharbor and letting us know things are going well.  It's so inspiring for the newbies as well as the old-timers. 😉

Take care……kim

spacehoppa
    Participant

Wow Whaleharbour – That's such an inspiration to me! How fantastic! I've been on pred for 5 years continuously now, through 2 pregnancies. I'm currently down to 7mg but can't quite imagine ever getting off it completely. Even if it takes 3 years, that's fine. You give me hope! Thank you!

Happy New Year!

superperroRA
    Participant

Great! I'm always rooting for you.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

wow whaleharbor, that is such great news. Thank you for sharing it. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=217]whaleharbor[/user] wrote:

Wow, Whaleharbor! Words can't express how happy I am for you! :roll-laugh: What an achievement and all due to your courage and tenacity to just stick with it in spite of the fear and pain! You really are a trooper, girl. Well done and thanks so much for thinking and caring to come back and bring this boost to others just starting out or struggling. We're going to be nagging you for your testimonial for the main site, you know!!! 😉

Peace, Maz

suera
    Participant

CONGRATULATIONS!!:roll-laugh:

Sue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Off of prednisone’ is closed to new replies.