Home Forums General Discussion Nizoral and Minocycline

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I have heard that you cannot take nizoral with minocycline? Does this also apply to the shampoo? I have a bit of dandriff and scalp issues and using it once a week or so has helped my condition. Is it OK to take Nizoral in topical form?

richie
    Participant

Hi–Nizoral is an anti-fungal that many doctors prescribed right along with minocycline =–As some AP doctors tend to dx an anti fungal right along with the antibiotic –I dont think your info is quite accurate –although there are improved anti-fungals in the same family —
    richie

redrock
    Participant

I don't know where I read this, somewhere online a few weeks ago and have since discontinued the Nizoral and scalp issues have come back. I'd like to go back on it again if I can!

Bill
    Participant

Yes that is what the insert say's, but Richie is right. I use the shampoo as it is clinically proven to maintain hair (presumably anti-inflammatory effects on scalp.) My hair is in great shape and I have been using both for years. Just my opinion and personal experience however.

MMW
    Participant

I have taken oral ketaconazole (nizoral).  I have not used the shampoo.

I understand that ketaconazole is hard on the liver.  It is harder on it than flucanazole.  

Minocyline, as I understand, also taxes the liver.  

I have been on both oral ketaconazole and minocyline at the same time.
    But my dr did not want me to take zithromax at the same time that I was taking both mino and ketaconazole.   So I quit mino to take zithr for one month while I still took the antifungal.

Maybe 2 antibiotics along with ketaconazole way overtaxes the liver.   I am just guessing that is why he made me stop mino for zithro.  So it might depend on your liver's ability to detox both.

In your case, I am wondering if using a shampoo puts that much ketaconazole in your system to have to detox from.

It is a good question though.

Marianne

PS  What are your scalp issues?   Itching and loosing hair?  Just wondering because I have had this problem off and on for a while.   I was wondering if it was lyme related or if it was yeast/fungal related.  I never did anything for it.  Just panicked at the hair loss:doh:.  The hair loss thing is returning after being gone for a while, but the itching is not there.  I am trying to figure it out.

redrock
    Participant

Yeah it seems like a shampoo could not really tax your liver, could it?

My hair issues are related to seborrahic dermatitis (sp?) which causes basically bad, thinning hair, bald spots, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Nizoral and Minocycline’ is closed to new replies.