Home Forums General Discussion Niacin and other vitamins for arthritis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

I have just finished reading the book “Niacin. The real story” by Abram Hoffer, Andrew Saul and Harold Foster.The authors claim that high doses of Niacin /B3/ at least 2000 mg a day divided into 4 or even eight smaller doses will cure joint disfunction. There will be flushes at the beginning. They believe that half or more of our population needs B3 supplementation. The dose for a healthy person is 300 mg /RDA 18mg!/ and for symptomatic patient in thousands. On the website http://www.doctoryourslf.com there are many interesting articles.Here are two links about arthritis:
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/arthritis_II.html
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/kaufman3.html

Another very interesting book is the book “Orthomolecuar medicine for everyone” by Abram Hoffer:

“Anyone who wishes to become familiar with orthomolecular medicine, may do so by simply beginning with a whole foods, sugar

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

richie
    Participant

Hi I took niacin about 30 years ago for high cholesterol –1000 mg daily –the flushes were terrible —I was also advised higher doses can be toxic to the liver —thank goodness statins came along -much easier to tolerate –
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi again —Not too happy to see you taking celebrex daily –there is baggage —have you ever looked into naprosyn
    richie

Linda L
    Participant

Richie,
    As far as I know Naprosyn is very bad to the stomach and Celebrex is bad to our heart. So which devil is better? If I don’t take it is very sore. Thank you.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

richie
    Participant

Hi You are quite right -its a trade -off –I figure stomach problems are better than heart valve problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some choice !!!!!!!!
    richie

Linda L
    Participant

Can I mix it? Naprosyn in the morning and Celebrex in the evening? Would it help?
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

@Linda L wrote:

Can I mix it? Naprosyn in the morning and Celebrex in the evening? Would it help?
    Linda L.

Linda, you should probably check with your doctor on this, really because none of us are medical professionals here, able to prescribe drug combinations or dosing. There is a moderate warning of mixing these drugs that can be quite harmful to some people, including serious ulcerations of the gut leading to perforation and all the unpleasant consequences of that type of situation. Please read the following info on the Drugs.com interactions checker for Celebrex and Naprosyn, but be sure to ask your doctor before proceeding with such a combination just to protect yourself:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=560-284,1690-1051

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Maz. Here maybe they mean that you take both medication together. I wouldn’t. Usually they work for 6-8 hours.
    But it is a good advise to ask a doctor, but I don’t think they have learnt it. Doctors learn “One medication for one condition”.
    When you come with something else they give you another medication and so on. They never think /very rarely/ that one thing can be a reason to all symptoms. I was diagnosed with arthritis, hypothyroidism and asthma within same three week and overloaded with medications.
    I don’t believe I have asthma. It was a severe reaction to the medications for arthritis. I am sure they have been poisoning me for years and have destroyed my healthy immune system which that time screamed and protested against something.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.