Home Forums General Discussion Newbie with RA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Hi everyone!  I am a new member to this website. I was diagnosed with RA almost three years ago and have been taking Relafen and Methotrexate during those years.  I recently went to a naturopath guy who had me stop taking those drugs and he put me on a bunch of herbal treatments which I just started taking on Saturday…he said that it would take anywhere from 3-6 months to rid me of the RA…thought I would try this before trying the AP just to see if it would work.  Has anyone out there tried anything like this before…or am I just wasting my time and money??  Thanks!  🙂

davew
    Participant

Hi and welcome 1-2…

I can't answer your question as I have no experience other than conventional RA meds and AP. I do know that AP works and conventional meds are nasty buggers that left me hurtin' for certain…

The decision is entirely up to you, but it is a good thing that you found this board as there are many here who will give you solid info from which to make that decision.

I am glad you are here and very sorry that you got this blasted disease. But if ya gotta have it, better here than out there.

Hang tough and be well!

Dave

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=924]1-2-b-healthyagain[/user] wrote:

I recently went to a naturopath guy who had me stop taking those drugs and he put me on a bunch of herbal treatments which I just started taking on Saturday…he said that it would take anywhere from 3-6 months to rid me of the RA…thought I would try this before trying the AP just to see if it would work.  Has anyone out there tried anything like this before…or am I just wasting my time and money??  Thanks!  🙂

Hi 1-2-b,

I wish I knew this naturopath's secret!  Personally, I think anything is possible and, if your disease is mild and you're willing to wait this out for the next few months to see if there is any improvement, then why not try it? If it doesn't work, then you've still got the AP option, which has an excellent success rate, as well as being a relatively innocuous treatment. Minocycline is used long-term for teens with acne, so compared to Methotrexate it's a pretty great alternative.  

Thing is, may be worth mentioning that those who begin AP early in their disease and before any damage has been incurred from the use of conventional meds, the response is usually swifter. So, the earlier one begins AP, the faster the response with fewer complications (like gut healing, ulcers, toxicity levels, etc).

Have you considered combining AP with your herbals?

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

1-2-B,

Welcome! I agree with Maz'comments, and want to add some of my own.

I agree that the naturopathic methods can and do work. The question that I recommend you ponder as you educate yourself about the potential causes of rheumatic illness, is, “are the herbs or supplements that the naturopath is using meant to address infection and boost the immune system? I guess my recommendation would be that you educate yourself enough so you can make the best choices for yourself and understand why any doctor is recommending what they are. Then decide for yourself if that course of action makes sense.

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Totally agree with Cheryl and Maz. Education will empower you, whatever course you decide upon. A great place to start in terms of AP is The New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell. , which contains the original Road Back by Dr Brown. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

m.
    Participant

Chiming in…my suggestion is to read Scammell's book “The New Arthritis Breakthrough”.

1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Thank you everyone!  Have ordered the Arthritis breakthrough book and plan to read asap!  Will see about combining herbals with the AP…if it can be done…I'll give it a try!  Thanks again!

OutdoorDiva
    Participant

Hi 1-2-b!

I have been treating my RA for 4 years through holistic medicine and conventional medicine. I have had many ups and downs but I truly believe that with this combined approach, my body only gets stronger.  I have recently started AP treatment and would suggest considering this as a complimentary treatment as there are probably some deeply rooted issues that may take several years to get a handle on if you are only using natural medicine. 

I believe that there is a place for everything – natural and conventional so my best advice to you would be to arm yourself with information!

good luck to you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Newbie with RA’ is closed to new replies.