Home Forums General Discussion New insurance, generic minocin only?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Boris
    Participant

Thanks for asking this question and for the responses! I just came back from the pharmacy thinking I was picking up my first prescription for Minocin when I was told my insurance company rejected the prescription. When I asked the cost it was $1050. So tomorrow I will be either changing my insurance or based upon the responses try one of the generic brands. I hate to waste time though. So the question I have has anyone gone into remission using a generic brand for either scleroderma or RA?
    Thank-Cyndi

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cyndi,

I can tell you that one person here said that he (she?) had taken Minocin as well as several different generics, and he didn’t notice any difference in effectiveness.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

I asked my pharmacist today about brand name price, and he said the brand name Minocin was $980, and that’s WITH my insurance. I’m sticking with generic.

PhilC
    Participant

Since a situation could arise such that I might only be able to get minocycline tablets made by Dr. Reddy

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

emmaline
    Participant

I was just prescribed Minocin today and my insurance will not cover it even if I appeal. It’s clear in the plan documents. I’ll have to see when I head to the pharmacy what generic they used. Thanks for the advice on which genetics to get. Another pharmacist suggested a higher dose on generic to increase efficiency, but my doctor said if it’s an absorption problem, then a higher dose won’t make you absorb it better.
    I certainly can’t afford 1K a month for brand name, but I need this to work. I’m losing my life here, and I’ll hang in there as long as it takes, but how do I know I’d the generic is working or not?
    I have a strong stomach because I’ve spent over a year trying to heal my RA with diet, so I will take the Mino without food. Any other advice if generic is the only option? I’ll check into all the generic formulary info posted.
    I guess most importantly, how do I know if it’s working? Do I just need to take it for 6+ months and if nothing happens, it’s not working?
    Thank you for this community and any advice.

richie
    Participant

Hi I dont think your pharmacist gave you good advice –you should not raise the dose because its a generic –there are many domestic or European generic makers–that have excellent reputations while I am able to have the brand covered -my other meds are generic -I tell the pharmacist NO India and he and she comply !!!!!!!!!
    richie

emmaline
    Participant

Thanks, Richie. Looks like they gave me one manufactured by Ranbaxy. I will take it as prescribed.

Boris
    Participant

I’ve been taking minocycline for 3 months now. I used a generic brand two different ones because I could not get the Teva brand the second month. Actually both generics agreed with me, but for some reason felt more comfortable with Teva. I was referred to a mail order pharmacy , Philidor who took my insurance for the Minocin brand. I hope this might be an option for those who need it.

Cyndi

jasregadoo

Interesting on the brand name through mail order. Keep us updated as to price and whether it was the real deal or not.

richie
    Participant

Boris –I would watch very carefully if you have one of these HSA accounts with your health insurance –if you have a traditional insurance plan where you just pay a co-pay thats excellent then –but if its an HSA your account can be charged a tremendous amount of money –check your paperwork carefully when you receive the meds —
    Richie

Boris
    Participant

Thanks Richie I appreciate your heads up… to jasreagadoo, I am finding its the real deal with a co-pay I’m praying it continues.

Robert
    Participant

hi , jee never thot you guys from the U.S had to pay that much for Mino,,,jeezuz,,why is that,,i get Mino non generic for $7 dollars for 60,,,i have been taking Mino for bout a year but had an episode that involved my lungs so as a precaution going to change it to doxy,,,just a thot but look how can you guys afford to pay that price if not working thats terrible,,,,anyway as i said i have repeat prescriptons for them and as i wont be using them i could send them to anyone who is in financial trouble,,,just a thot of a way round things,,,no one would know now would they?,,,well unless its illegal to do that not sure,,,any comments on the legality of it?..Robert.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    It is apparent you mean well but it is very illegal –
    Richie+

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.