Home Forums General Discussion New insurance, generic minocin only?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

Hi Thanks for more info Phil —-if people are helped by Ranbaxy and then it becomes unavailable –that becomes a problem to find a suitable subsitution —-
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

@redrock wrote:

Is it better to get the generic capsules or tablets?

Well, as I explained earlier, I think the tablets are better. However, they are usually a lot more expensive, which might be a problem for some people (mainly those without health insurance).

@redrock wrote:

My problem is that I will be ordering from one of those 90-day mail order pharmacies so it’s not like I can go to my friendly neighborhood place and they know me and to only use Teva.

Why?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@redrock wrote:

My problem is that I will be ordering from one of those 90-day mail order pharmacies so it’s not like I can go to my friendly neighborhood place and they know me and to only use Teva.

Why?

Phil

Because the mail-order option on the insurance is much cheaper, i.e. for generics you pay $10 for a 30-day supply at the local pharmacy, vs $25 for a 90-day supply through mail-order.

By the way, a friend just gave me this site, says she has gotten great deals on prescriptions for a lower price than through her insurance: http://www.goodrx.com

richie
    Participant

Hi Did you have your doctor write an rx for 90day supply at a time –not 30 and renew 3x –makes a difference –I always have my doc write 90 day supply -THEN renew 3x -It might help
    r

redrock
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Hi Did you have your doctor write an rx for 90day supply at a time –not 30 and renew 3x –makes a difference –I always have my doc write 90 day supply -THEN renew 3x -It might help
    r

Help with what? I always get them to write it for 90 days with refills.

PhilC
    Participant

@redrock wrote:

Because the mail-order option on the insurance is much cheaper, i.e. for generics you pay $10 for a 30-day supply at the local pharmacy, vs $25 for a 90-day supply through mail-order.

That’s a savings of $1.67 a month. Is it really worth it if it means you’ll lose control over which generic the pharmacist uses to fill your prescription?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

If the prescription is written for 90 days then your local pharmacist HAS to fill a 90 day supply not a 30 day supply —
    richie

redrock
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@redrock wrote:

That’s a savings of $1.67 a month. Is it really worth it if it means you’ll lose control over which generic the pharmacist uses to fill your prescription?

Phil

Sorry, I’m confusing myself and not making sense. The price differential is $60 for one month/ $150 for three months, savings of $10 a month. But that’s for the brand, which I am no longer getting, so you are correct, for the generic, it would be worth it to by from the pharmacy. It’s a hassle is all. The mail order is more convenient.

richie
    Participant

The mail order may be convenient but then you have no control over which generic you get –wasnt that the objective of this discussion ?????????????????
    richie

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I get a 90 day supply from my local pharmacy and it isn’t that difficult.

redrock
    Participant

@richie wrote:

The mail order may be convenient but then you have no control over which generic you get –wasnt that the objective of this discussion ?????????????????
    richie

Correct. I’m trying to work out this new insurance plan for several of my medications, not just the Minocin, so like I said, I’m confusing myself. For the Minocin, which is not covered, I will have to switch to the generic, and in order to have control over whether I’m getting Teva or not I will probably have to go to my local pharmacy.

As far as what someone said about how I can get the doctor to write it for 90 days, when I look on the insurance paperwork, the price quoted is for a 30-day supply at a local pharmacy, so I think the insurance company would balk at a 90-day prescription that I tried to fill not at the mail-order pharmacy but the local one.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I called CVS to see if they carry a minocycline tablet and was told they carry Dr. Reddy tablets. That is an Indian company with labs all over- UK, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc. Has anyone dealt with a Dr. Reddy med?

richie
    Participant

Actually Dr Reddy has cleaned up their act quite a bit –they worked closely with the FDA to correct problems and they have I think 7 plants that are FDA approved and under the FDA,s inspection guidelines —Case in point the FDA pulled a surprise inspection on one of their Indian plants Nov 2014 –they were written up for a few “procedural” issues –when a govt agency inspects any plant in the US , India etc –they will find things wrong –these were all minor and really nothing -Another bright spot the FDA has lifted the ban on imports from their plant in Mexico –all in all -they look like they are on the ball now with good quality products —
    richie

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Richie- Thanks for the information!
    Jan

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jan,
    @Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

I called CVS to see if they carry a minocycline tablet and was told they carry Dr. Reddy tablets.

It’s very likely that those aren’t the only tablets they can get. Also, it helps to ask about both 50 mg and 100 mg tablets. A pharmacist at Walgreens told me that they couldn’t get 100 mg Par tablets, only the 50 mg ones. I didn’t anticipate that, and ended up on Ranbaxy tablets for a year because of it. They worked fine, though, so it was a good learning experience.

For greater flexibility, I now ask the doctor to prescribe 50 mg minocycline tablets (50 mg qid). For more info on that, see:
    Minocycline prescription tip.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.