Home Forums General Discussion New insurance, generic minocin only?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Hi folks,

Well after nearly 5 years on the brand Minocin it looks like I’m going to have to switch to generic due to leaving my job and needing to buy insurance on the healthcare.gov website (USA). Unfortunately the plans I can afford seem not to cover the brand Minocin. So my question is how bad is the generic? I think I heard a while back that the generics were improving, or that some of them were better than others? Is generic Mino something I should be concerned about so much that I should pay out of pocket for the brand?

richie
    Participant

Hi While I do not know first hand as I use the brand –Mylan now makes the Solodyn generic extended release tablet in 105 mg —Seems to me you get the benefit of an extended release -its not pelleted but may be the next best thing —IMO -tell your druggist no Indian generic –another good maker of generics is Teva

I use Mylan generics for my other meds –blood pressure etc etc –never a problem –Good luck

vinny
    Participant

Redrock,
    Ranbaxy tablets have worked best for me, but currently on tablets made by PAR. Teva and Watson powder filled capsules stopped working for me. Many of our USA drugs are made in India and I trust their quality better than our standards

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Teva is made in Israel. All other generics are made in India. Teva has worked well for me.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @redrock wrote:

Well after nearly 5 years on the brand Minocin it looks like I’m going to have to switch to generic due to leaving my job and needing to buy insurance on the healthcare.gov website (USA). Unfortunately the plans I can afford seem not to cover the brand Minocin.

Another consideration is that some health insurance plans have a “preferred” generic, and if you want a different generic you might need to pay more. It probably won’t be a big issue for you, though, since you would still be paying a lot less than what Minocin costs.

@redrock wrote:

Is generic Mino something I should be concerned about so much that I should pay out of pocket for the brand?

No!

I recommend considering the following minocycline generics:

Tablets
    Par, Ranbaxy

Capsules
    Ranbaxy, Teva

All of those are made in the U.S.; most of the other minocycline generics are made in India. I prefer the minocycline tablets listed above because they do not contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. In addition, tablets must meet a slightly tighter standard than capsules, and their construction better protects their contents from the effects of oxygen than capsules do.

Even though they are made in India, I thought I should also mention Actavis (formerly Watson) capsules. A number of people on this forum use that generic and like it.

NOTE: The tablets listed above are not an extended-release formulation. Extended-release minocycline tablets are not bioequivalent to Minocin.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

This is great info. My only concern is do you have the ability to specify or request a certain generic? My experience is that you never know what they’re going to give you and pharmacies (local and mail-order) switch around their generic brands a lot.

richie
    Participant

Hi–That is exactly why I use a small local pharmacist –you can ask him for a particular company and most times they can accomodate you —

richie
    Participant

Hi As point of fact the Indian govt is about to approve merger {takeover of Ranbaxy by Sun Pharma –Ranbaxy has run into financial problems due to many of their Indian plants products being banned in Europe and The US

I really didnt find a US manufacturing facility for Ranbaxy rather only distribution offices –maybe Phil can point it out —
    I still stick to my premise no Indian meds there are so many other makers available -why then India —I spoke to my local druggist –the only way India was able penetrate the Us market was price on the wholesale level –they run 15–20% less than their counterparts —
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi That is why I strongly advocate that folks do their homework –I am the buyer –its my choice who I want to make my meds –I only use US or european mfgs —pleanty of fabulous companies such as mylan sandoz teva –and much more –I just dont want to buy any drug made by a mfg that has regulatory problems -I just see no point —
    Incidentally Ranbaxy does not make generics in the US according to my pharmacist –and some generics could have come into the country before the FDa,s order –since their is a two year shelf life —I keep close tabs on the pharma industry as I find it a good place to invest and I just dont like what I see about these Indian plants –but to each their own –
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi As a matter of fact OHM pharma a sub of Ranbaxy in the US is enjoined from producing drugs made from raw materials shipped from these plants in India —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

@richie wrote:

I really didnt find a US manufacturing facility for Ranbaxy rather only distribution offices –maybe Phil can point it out

As far as I can tell, the minocycline that Ranbaxy sells in the U.S. is made in New Jersey by Ohm Laboratories (owned by Ranbaxy).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi Strongly urge you and all to read this link http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm3827—

To summarize There is a permanent injunction issued by the FDA prohibiting any drugs mfg at Ranbaxys Toansa plant in India from being distributed or sent to the US —It goes on to specifically include drugs made by Ranbaxys OHM facility in NEW Brunswick NJ —seems active ingredient is shipped in bulk to the OHM facility where its then mfg into pills -this practice is now prohibited I cant see trying to speculate where the active ingredient is made—-why bother when there are so many other companies –For some background –
    Toansa India is where Ranbaxy manufactures antibiotics —

richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,

That link is broken. Here’s a working link:
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm382736.htm

Here’s an interesting article that describes some of what the FDA inspector found at Ranbaxy’s Toansa facility:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-06/flies-found-by-fda-threaten-indian-town-built-on-generics.html

I remember reading that FDA announcement early last year and being a little worried that pharmacies might soon be unable to get any Ranbaxy minocycline (I was taking Ranbaxy minocycline tablets at the time). Fortunately, that never happened.

I don’t know where Ranbaxy was getting their minocycline from at the time of the FDA announcement last year, but it looks like they are currently getting it from a European company: Euticals SpA dba Prime European Therapeuticals SpA.

Source:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=61f1d07a-f5e9-45b5-8806-b31a441bc592

Euticals makes minocycline at their plant in Origgio, Italy.

See:
    http://www.euticals.com/italy/origgio

Phil

- Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

@redrock wrote:

My only concern is do you have the ability to specify or request a certain generic?

Yes, definitely. However, be sure to call several pharmacies in your area to find out which generics they are able to order. Be sure to ask about generic minocycline capsules and tablets. I’ve found that pharmacies often won’t offer the info about which minocycline tablets they can get unless I ask.

@redrock wrote:

My experience is that you never know what they’re going to give you and pharmacies (local and mail-order) switch around their generic brands a lot.

You have to watch them like a hawk. It helps if the doctor specifies your preferred generic on the prescription, but I’ve found that even that is not enough to guarantee that the pharmacist will fill the prescription with that particular generic. Here’s my solution: I always talk to the pharmacist (or a pharmacy technician) every time my mino prescription is filled, before it is filled. It’s also a good idea to also ask someone at the pharmacy which generic they used to fill your prescription before you pay for it. That way, if they didn’t fill your prescription correctly you can reject it and make them do it over.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Yes, definitely. However, be sure to call several pharmacies in your area to find out which generics they are able to order. Be sure to ask about generic minocycline capsules and tablets. I’ve found that pharmacies often won’t offer the info about which minocycline tablets they can get unless I ask.

Is it better to get the generic capsules or tablets?

My problem is that I will be ordering from one of those 90-day mail order pharmacies so it’s not like I can go to my friendly neighborhood place and they know me and to only use Teva.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.