Home Forums General Discussion neck pain and RA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LAR362
    Participant

Hi all. I have been doing well on AP for about a year now and just recently have had  neck pain and stiffness. I have also noticed that the tingling that used to be in my feet and wrists (my worst areas of pain before AP) is now in my neck area. I am very concerned that I may have Lyme and am wondering if it is possible to have Lyme even if I have been on Mino & Zith all this time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lar

Kim
    Participant

Hi lar,

One of the quirky things about Lyme is its migratory nature.  It does have an affinity for necks and knees, however. 

You mentioned you've been on Mino and Zith which are abx used in Lyme treatment, but when used in Lyme treatment they are used at much higher doses and with many other abx in the mix.  Lyme tx is extremely complicated and definitely needs to be in the hands of an expert (LLMD). 

Many Lymies get exposed at some time in their life, but don't get sick.  It's when for whatever reason their immune system is compromised or overloaded that all hell breaks loose.

If you think Lyme is a possibility it would be worth having the Igenex test and see if anything shows up and if you hit on any of the important bands, seek out a Lyme doc.  If you use the “search” feature we've had lots of discussions on Lyme testing that may help.

Take care…..kim

LAR362
    Participant

Thanks Kim. I am wondering if I can just contact my dr. and ask if he can order the western blot? I understand that it has to be pre paid before testing. When I went ot the Igenix website I did see a few difft tests. Which one is the best to order and are you familiar w/ the costs involved? thanks

LAR362
    Participant

also, does Roadback have info on LLMD in my area? thanks

lar

Kim
    Participant

Hi lar,

Yes, we can send you a list of LLMDs for your area, but need to know your state. If you're in an endemic area for Lyme, you'll have access to doctors.  I'm in Indiana and there are none at all in my state so I have to travel.

Igenex seems to be the best lab for Lyme testing.  I overheard the receptionist at my LLMD telling someone on the phone he wouldn't even accept results from any other lab, so that's how strongly he feels about it.  You can order the basic Western Blot yourself (test #188 and #189) for around $200.  They will send you the kit, which consists of 2 vials and forms.  You do need a doctor's signature to return your sample and that doctor has to agree to receive the results because they won't send them to you.  My PCP (the one that told me we don't have Lyme in Indiana :headbang:) signed my form, to humor me, I'm sure.  Once I had the signed form I went to the lab, they spun the sample and I packed it all up and drove it myself directly to the shipper.  You'll need to include payment at this point.  My insurance reimbursed me, but many don't.  The most important thing is to get copies of the test from the doctor because odds are they will just tell you pos/neg and as you probably know a “neg” doesn't necessarily mean you don't have Lyme.  There are a number of sources for help in interpreting the results.

You can either PM me or just reply with your area and I'll send you the doctor's names for your area.

Take care……kim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ neck pain and RA’ is closed to new replies.