Home Forums General Discussion neck operation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi,

I have been trying to get on top of my neck issues for some time now. I have been having numbness and so much pain in the right side of my head, neck. I have minimal range of motion and have tried everything possible the natural way. After my GP decided to send me for a CT scan, resulting in negative results. my GP has urgently requested me to see the Orthopedic Surgeon at the hospital asap. The doc has told me I would have to undergo an op for my neck, she didn’t go into any detail though.

The results are, my Odontoid peg is significantly eroded. There is spinal stenosis and spinal cord compression.

Has anyone had this or similar operation on their neck, or is there an alternative solution, as I am not sure I want to go this way!

I feel on top of everything else, as my RA seems to be under control with my new Abx regime, if only I could cut off my head, lol.

But seriously I am really quite terrified at the thought of the operation and any positivity would be very much valued.

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Annie,

First, so happy to hear your RA symptoms are feeling so much better on your new abx regimen! Also glad you popped by as we had been notified by Maz_Aust that you had to get to a safe house due to the big cyclone. Glad you and your loved ones are safe! 😀

I haven’t seen A Friend around here in a while, but would suggest connecting with her, as she has some terrific insights for restoring bone health. It sounds like you have a degerative issue going on with the vertebra in your neck and so sorry you’re in so much pain. 🙁 Did it begin with a neck injury? Maybe longterm pred use? Any possibility there is an overlap with AS?

Sometimes just being acidic can leach calcium from our bones, as the body strives to maintain homeostasis. Restoring just calcium isn’t the answer (as am sure your AP docs in Auz have shared with you), but A Friend has posted often on this topic and you might also find a lot of info by just typing in “Acidosis and bones” in the search box at the top of the forum. There is a lot that can be done to restore bone health in the longer term, but if you’re in so much pain, you may need a surgical intervention to help more immediately.

Please let us know what you discover, Annie, and sending good vibes your way as you decide which way to go with this.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Maz,

We finally have power back after losing it last Wed night just before the Cyclone hit. Cairns was very lucky, but some of the towns just South of us were not. Thankyou for your kind thoughts and vibes, I certainly will look out for them.

I tried to do a search as you suggested, but only your reply came up, is there another way to get to the old posts, as I would love to read what A Friend has to say about calcium and bone. I do know that I have a problem with calcium leaching as my blood levels are very high when I have my monthly bloods done.

I have never had a neck injury, but my RA started with a stiff neck and I really have had trouble with it since then, only now with the spinal cord compression, the numbness and tingling is unbearable at times!

I feel silly asking, but what is AS.

Thanks again Maz, I knew I could can’t on your reply and kind words…………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Annie – so glad you and yours are okay. Re the search – if you are using the search box at the top of this thread, then only results in this thread will come up. Use the search box at the top of main page in General Discussion (the one that lists all topics). If you have been doing that, then try changing your search words – generally fewer words are better. Hope this helps. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I have had neck damage for 20 years and work around it. Physical therapy has helped. Has a therapist ever tried to help you make accommodations?

Rockin Annie
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

I have had neck damage for 20 years and work around it. Physical therapy has helped. Has a therapist ever tried to help you make accommodations?

Hi Jan,

Thankyou for replying. I have been seeing a very good physio 1 – 2 times weekly who has helped me quite a lot, but its the numbness and tingling that scare me. After the CT scan my GP told me it was very serious and a wrong jerking of my neck could lead to me being paralysed, she also told me not to go back to the physio until I have seen the Orthopedic surgeon. I guess in the long run I have to check it all out and then make up my own mind. If it was just the pain and stiffness I can cope, with the help from the Physio and my hubby’s massaging, but its the scare of being paralysed that has me terrified.

I do hope your neck pain has eased some, how does it affect you and how do you cope with lack of range of movement?

Rockin Annie
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Hi Annie – so glad you and yours are okay. Re the search – if you are using the search box at the top of this thread, then only results in this thread will come up. Use the search box at the top of main page in General Discussion (the one that lists all topics). If you have been doing that, then try changing your search words – generally fewer words are better. Hope this helps. Lynnie

Hi Lynnie,

It was a very terrifying time for all of us, all it ok now though, just lots of clearing, cleaning and fixing the roof.

Thanks for the info re the search box, I thought it was a bit strange only bringing up Maz’s reply, silly me I should have realized.

How did you cope with the heat, my daughter lives in Paddington and she said it was unbearable and my daughter from Cairns went down for the week-end and said to her “this is nothing compared to Cairns” but Syd is a very dry heat compared to the humidity here in Cairns. Hope the weather is better now for you now.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Was staying with a friend in Port Stephens. We stayed in on Saturday in the air condititioning! Sat temp at 3.30pm reached 41.3 degrees (106.3 degrees farenheit). Cool change came in on Sunday afternoon after 7 days straight of great heat and hottest night ever on record Saturday night (27.4 degrees – 81.3 farenheit). Weather is certainly making its presence felt everyhwre right now. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.