Home Forums General Discussion NEAR Infrared Sauna treatements

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gonnaBhealthy
    Participant

I am looking at purchasing an infrared sauna…a hefty investment and not one I want to make a mistake on. I am looking at Full Spectrum saunas but have a concern about using NEAR infrared. My understanding is that the near wavelengths deal with skin and help produce collagen. For most folks, that would be lovely. But if you have SD, aren’t we already OVER producing collagen? So, is near infrared a bad idea? No doubt the far and mid wavelengths would be beneficial but I am not wanting to make a dangerous mistake and cause complications. Any one have experience/knowledge about this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

This was quite a topic many years ago and the info should still be around if yuo look.If I recall correctly those that got a small portible(amazon) Fae infrared sauna just loved it.I have been thinking of getting one ever since but always found a way to sped my money on orchids.

gonnaBhealthy
    Participant

Thanks for your response Lynne. I did a search of this site before I posted this and I did find the posts that applied. The difference in those posts and what I need to know has to do with the spectrum. The saunas that are mentioned in those posts (mostly around 2013) are just FAR wavelengths. At that time, saunas were not readily available that offered FULL spectrum – NEAR, MID, and FAR infrared. All 3 have different results/functions. My concern is the NEAR infrared, which is reported to assist with wound healing, aging skin, and collagen production. As I stated before, I don’t want to make a costly purchase of something that might make my condition worse. Would appreciate any info/experience that anyone might have pertaining to IR saunas and/or NEAR infrared. Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

GonnaBeHealthy, I have a Far Infrared Sauna and love it. I think for SD patients, the main point of using this type of sauna is to promote sweating and relieve pain. The skin is the largest organ in the body and when SD folks can’t sweat that puts them at a disadvantage in terms of the body being able to naturally detox. I haven’t read up about full spectrum saunas but if the goal is to promote collagen, it follows that it might not be beneficial for SD? I think if I was worried about that, I’d just invest in Far infrared for the detox benefits, while also putting strong emphasis on healthy eating and supportive supps.

Good luck in your decision-making process! Let us know how you get on after you decide what to do. One thing I have read here is to go very low and slow with both time and temp in sauna if one has SD. To heat the body before one is able to sweat effectively is too hard on other organs. Once one is able to sweat, replacing fluids and electrolytes is important, too, keeping any supps well away from mino doses in case they affect absorption.

gonnaBhealthy
    Participant

Maz – Thank you so much for your reply. I have had SD for 40 years (originally dx w/ Dermatomyositis) and I have done a good bit of studying it out. That is what made me question the NEAR IR and it’s effects. I see a Functional Medicine doctor in the DFW area but he does not know a lot about SD. He told me he did not remember ever hearing a precaution about SD patients using IR saunas of any wavelength but then again, in the “big ocean” of diseases he deals with, SD is more rare. He is the one that suspected Lyme Disease and had me test for it. Sure enough, there it was.

I stepped out and ordered my sauna today. Was able to purchase a Far IR with an additional Full Spectrum heater that can be turned off. With this feature, my husband will be able to take advantage of Full Spectrum w/o me being exposed to it. I do very much appreciate your response in letting me know I am thinking along the right track.

I am not taking mino and I don’t think I have a problem sweating. I do yard work most of the summer and joke that it is my detoxing time. I am on lots of different supps and rxs…don’t know why my signature w/ info is not showing up on this post. Need to check my settings maybe. I shall try to post an update on how the sauna is helping me after a few weeks of trials. My FM doctor has advised me on a low temp, short sessions, 2 times a week regiment to start w/ use of niacin before and charcoal or chlorella to assist w/ detoxing.

Again THANKS for your thoughts. You have been very helpful
    GonnaBHealthy

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

My family’s rheumatologist, who is a functional medicine doctor, recommended a FAR IR sauna back in 2008. He was recommending it to most of his patients. One thing of interest that he shared with us is that many of his chronically ill patients did not sweat initially. But with repeated use, they began to sweat efficiently and their health did improve in line with the increased sweating (however this was NOT their only treatment). My daughter who has Scleroderma, initially did not sweat at all while using the sauna, but eventually broke through and began to sweat efficiently.

Good luck!

Cheryl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.