Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma vs. Mycobacteria

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

About 10 years ago, my family started spending time with a friend of our from a small region of the Himalayas between Pakistan and India, called Kashmir. Our friend eventually found out that he had a pretty rare strain of tuberculosis from that region of the world. As far as I know, he got it under control. At the time we all had the skin test done for TB just for precaution.

All these years later I am really starting to feel worried about something.

I am not sure about the difference between mycoplasma and mycobacteria. Is it possible that my body’s scleroderma reaction is from the cause of some rare kind of TB spread to me? I know I tested negative, but I still wonder.

I know that probably not many people here are doctors, but it’s a genuine question.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

P.S.
    I did test positive for mycoplasma infection, and I am already on Minocycline.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Read about walking pneumonia. Many people have it and don’t know about it. It is the least scary type of pneumonia. More and more common. It affects millions of people each year in the United States. We had an outbreak in NSW in September 2013. It is often mistaken for a cold or a flu. It is called mycoplasma pneumonia.
    Linda L.

PhilC
    Participant

They are not the same thing.

See:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/c/question/36362/127008

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

Very interesting, Phil.
    Linda L.

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I did have a really terrible case of pneumonia when I was 8 years old. I was very close to my lungs needing to be drained.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.