Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma antibodies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

My daughter was diagnosed with JRA 3 years ago when she was 14.Having read The New Arthritis Breakthrough I went to the doctor and askjed them to test for Mycoplasmas.They said the only one they could test for in New Zealand is M.pneumoniae.

Got the results back yesterday and it showed antibodies to this mycoplasma.I was thrilled.But the doctor said that does not mean she has active mycoplasma so does not indicate Ap therapy would benefit.She said all it meant was that she once had pneumonia-which I don't believe she ever had.

Did the doctor do the right test-the test in the book regers to mycoplasma complement fixing reaction.

Is the doctors interpretation correct.From my reading if you show antibodies it means the mycoplasma cou;d still be in your body.

I would appreciate any advice as I am new to this.The doctor wants to go down the heavy metal track first but I think Ap therapy holds more promise.

Thanks

casey
    Participant

Hi ,

I would go ahead and find an AP doc and get started ASAP! And There are 2 antibodiy titres you could look at here. The IGG and the IGM. If the IGG is positive , it shows acute infection (previous). Well , if she has JRA, and you treat with abx, i will bet that the IGM will become positive after awhile and as treatment progresses , the IgG will start going down.

We have the same situation here with our 13 yr old son, who was showing lupus on his blood tests. I had him tested and he showed antibodies to myco pneumonaie. The doc said a previous infection will do that but doesnt mean he has lupus from mycoplasma infection. He is on abx and is showing negative now (fingers crossed he stays that way).

I ended up finding a lab that does PCR testing for infectious pathogens and he was positive by PCR, but here they lump 4 myco species together and tell you you are positive but we dont know for which ones. I tried to narrow it down by having the antibody titre test and they do the antibody test here for myco pneumoniae only. In the end , i think we are positive here for more than one. These tests can be good to narrow down which species as different species respond to different abx.

In the end , i have learned to NEVER listen to the reg docs or rheumies, ped or adults. JMO! Given the fact that she has JRA tells me she more thatn likely has infection and abx will be the only treatment for long term remission.

Dr. Brown also felt ,the younger the patient and earlier you catch the disease, the better the response.

You can also call Dr. S in Ida Grove , Iowa ( he is in the book) and he will talk to you and any doc you have that is willing to help. He will guide them through. He spoke to me personally about our situation and asked for nothing in return.  He will do IV's on children and has treated them as young as 4.

Bottom line….you are on a better track far more than the doctor. And your interpretation of the antibody presence is right.

By the way, I have to look this up but there is a place in New Zealand that does PCR testing for mycoplasma. I will look up the name and pm you as soon as i find it.

Casey

casey
    Participant

Also, one can still have infection and show negative by PCR testing.

Casey

casey
    Participant

sent you a PM!

Fran
    Participant

Casey-  Do you know anything about interpreting the mycoplasma lab tests?  I had mine done with Dr. S and the m hominis was titer 200 and the m pnemoniae was titer 100.  Do you know what the titer means?  Is there any way to tell if that means current infection or a past infection?  Also you mentioned something about the IgM and IgG and mine was negative.  What are the IgM and IgG testing for?  This is all so confusing!

casey
    Participant

Fran,

IgG positive tire means evidence of previous (non acute) infection.

IgM positive titre means active infection present.

Even though  the IggG is saying previous infection does not , to me anyway, mean it is just a past infection but i believe it is (myco)  still there.

I also read in “scleroderma, the proven therapy that can change your life, by henry Scammel at the back on page 172, a case study about this.

It is about a girl who had sclero and was treated by Dr. F in california.He did some tests on this patient and it showed she had myco IgG antibodies, an immune response to a remote infection. The myco IgM antibody is the response to a recent infection. Often, when patients have a negative myco antibody titre and are treated with abx that penetrate the cells, those titres become positive,aafter the abx, dead myco particles and toxins cause an antigenic stimulis and trigger antibody formation. Even though the first titre for myco IgM, which is for recent infection, was negative,the second and third were positive. the titres were rising in response to the effectiveness of the Minocin. As the IgM antibodies increased progressively, the IgG antibodies, for remote infection,which were positive to begin with started to decrease.

Also , as i have followed the way these titres worked hold true for my sons case with his ASO titre. This is for strep and i can see how this all works.

For yourself and i am not a doc but you have high titires to both  . I would say but again i am no expert that you possibly have a higher hominis infection than the pneumonaie but they are both there. I do know that hominis is a tricky one as it can be resistant to many abx. You can look this us on “pubmed” and clik in mycoplasma hominis and antibiotics”.

I believe we have the same here as you do and we are on different abx for different species. Mycoplasma species respond to different abx and you have to find the right one or combo, dosage ,daily or pulsed.

Floroquinolones have been proven to work for hominis (and others) but it is a powerful abx. I did this for 3 weeks last yr and the whole month of Jan as doxy and zith wasnt cutting it at the time. I do believe levaquin was a jump start that i needed. Time will tell what goes on next. Clindamycin works well for hominis from what i have researched.

hope this helps,

Casey

casey
    Participant

Fran,

You said you were pos for 100 and 200 but negative for IgM and IgG. What kind of test were you positive for?

Casey

Fran
    Participant

[user=9]casey[/user] wrote:

Fran,

You said you were pos for 100 and 200 but negative for IgM and IgG. What kind of test were you positive for?

Casey

Casey-  I was positive 1 : 100 for pnemoniae and 1:200 for hominis but negative for IgM and IgG (pnemoniae).  is what my lab report said.

Currently, I'm not on anything as I've become sensitive to mino and so I switched to zith but that raised my liver enzymes so I'm waiting to see what to do next.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Mycoplasma antibodies’ is closed to new replies.