Home Forums General Discussion My renewal script for Minocycline just arrived. Problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RevereRosie
    Participant

My original Minocycline script came from a manufacturer called “Watson”.

The renewal Minocycline script that was delivered today is from a company called “Teva”.

I had to call the Pharmacist to obtain the above information the minute I noticed the capsules were a different color.

I do know each manufacturer compounds their stuff differently and also changes the color and I always have adverse reactions to the color red dye.

My orig. capsule is blue/cream color. New new script is red/cream color. I’m freaking out because of my allergic reactions whenever this happens.

Has anyone had the same script change on them? Any problems?

I sent an email off to my Doctor’s, Office Manager to leave a note on his desk for tomorrow morning to see if he and/or his staff can help me out with this dilemma. My doctor’s office closes at noon time on Wed. My insurance company pays for my Minocycline fortunately. I’m upset because after 5 months on this script I was finally starting to notice very subtle changes and welcomed them with open arms.

Eileen
    Participant

Hello Rosie,

This had happened to me. A quick call to the pharmacy will clear it up. Talk to lead pharmacist and have him/her mark on their computer “Watson” brand only on your refills or new scripts. Just explain to them that you’ve had adverse reaction(s) to other mfgrs.
    Eileen

richie
    Participant

Hi Both are considered generics –doubt if the doctor can help -but its worth a try —-IMO Teva is an excellent mfg with a great reputation –It was mentioned here Watson now manufactures in India —-probably Teva is preferable –but in your case the issue of red dye complicates matters –you might want to call the pharmacist and get the complete ingredients of the Teva product to be certain it contains red dye –
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi Went to a site called daily med where ingredients are also lited –bot Watson and Teva contain red dye –if you got a half red capsule –from Teva –I think thats 75 mg –is that the correct dose ???????
    richie

RevereRosie
    Participant

No, mine are 100 mg.

I did speak to the Pharmacist and I was told that she could not get the Watson. She said many other patients are on this med and they are concerned as well.

I just got an email from my dr’s office manager and was told to call CVS or Walgreens tomorrow morning.

Thanks Ritchie and Eileen for your input. I was really freaking out because I just mentioned to my doctor how I was just starting to feel a tad better and this happens.

I’ll keep you posted as to what I find out tomorrow. And, again, it feels so good to know you guys are out there for me. R/A and Scleroderma is not easy to deal with emotionally and mentally and physically. I’m trying real hard and thought I was doing good handling the awful pain and discomfort and trying to cook, clean and do errands and having to alter ways of doing things because I can’t use my left hand at all, my wrist feels like it is broken……….Ugh.

I was told by an old Pharmacist years ago, that when a company has their product go generic, it sells so many units to a manufacturing company and when that is up, they sell to another????? If that makes sense I don’t know. I guess to give everyone a piece of the pie?

kater
    Participant

I got my SD into remission on Teva Mino and Doxy–other antibiotics too for Lyme. I am in Canada and the 100mg caps of teva are blue and orange. I didn’t have any issues with it but am not dye sensitive. Have you checked out ordering from Northwest Pharmacy to see what they have.–mail order from Canada and I think the prices are good. I have heard people say they also get aknemin from there. I can’t even view the site in Canada to check for you but looked and I can see it when in the US. Interesting.
    good luck
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

PhilC
    Participant

Most minocycline capsules contain dyes. These generics do not contain dyes: Caraco tablets, Indicus tablets, Par tablets, Ranbaxy capsules and tablets. That’s for the 100 mg size.

All the pharmacies that I have called can get more than one kind of generic minocycline. However, they may not volunteer that information unless you ask.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

FYI, CVS will not get Watson. I tried. Walmart carries Watson.

richie
    Participant

Hi Jan —That is why I prefer to deal with a smaller local pharmacist —I have found they will go out of their way to try and accomodate –for example my guy knows I do not want ANY med made in India –while he may only stock the particular generic only from India {cause its cheaper} he does go out of his way to find a generic for me that is made either in the US or Europe –remember even a small drugstore deals with 2 or 3 distributors —A big chain like CVS or Walmart does not give the individual store the leeway to order a specific generic –whatever maker is in the program -that is what the patients get without any deviation –the pharmacist is not permitted to find an alternative –they get zero leeway !!!!!!!!!!!–I figure its all the same price –I prefer the better service from a small local !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

@richie wrote:

A big chain like CVS or Walmart does not give the individual store the leeway to order a specific generic –whatever maker is in the program -that is what the patients get without any deviation –the pharmacist is not permitted to find an alternative –they get zero leeway !!!!!!!!!!!

Although I haven’t tried getting a different generic from CVS or Walmart, I’ve had few problems getting my preferred generic from the local Walgreens. The main problem I’ve faced is that it’s slightly inconvenient — I need to speak with the pharmacist or a pharmacy technician every time my prescription for mino is filled; otherwise, my prescription would likely be filled using their preferred generic. Having the doctor specify a particular generic on the prescription helps, but it doesn’t solve the problem because the pharmacists will often (always?) ignore it, which is why my input is always required.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.