Home Forums General Discussion MTHFR and RA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

So I join those of you who have MTHR mutated gene. I am heterozygous with A1298C. So for many years I was fed with Methotraxate and big amounts of folic acid and it was a poison to my body.
    Two extracts from different websites:

The results of our meta-analysis suggest that the MTHFR C677T and A1298C polymorphisms are associated with MTX toxicity in RA patients

A heterozygous gene for A1298C (1 copies, from one parent) results in about a 30% reduction in methylation from normal activity.
    The A1298C mutation may cause a decrease in neurotransmitters or catecholamines including serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine.

The A1298C mutation is also a cofactor in the production of nitric oxide.
    Supplementing with L-Methylfolate can help alleviate the effects of MTHFR A1298C as well as lower the homocysteine levels.
    Avoiding all synthetic folic acid and folic acid fortified foods such as cereals and all white flour enriched products is also strongly recommended.
    Removing other types of synthetic folic acid from any supplements is strongly recommended, as they can compete with L-methylfolate.

Thank you Trudi.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

@Linda L wrote:

So I join those of you who have MTHR mutated gene. I am heterozygous with A1298C.

Welcome to the MTHFR club, Linda…we both share the same heterozygous a1298c marker. We’re better off than some, who have both the main types and are homogenous (genes from both parents), but important to know about, as you have discovered, to ensure right supplementation, to avoid medications that interfere further with methylation, but also to share this info with children so they and their partners can receive genetic counseling, if planning a family and to help protect their health.

I have found this site very helpful, if you haven’t seen it yet:

http://mthfr.net/

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Maz. It is very important.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Linda,

Here’s an article re: MTHFR and hypothyroidism (specifically Hashimoto’s) that I thought you and others might find of interest.

http://www.thyroidpharmacist.com/blog/mthfr-hashimotos-and-nutrients

It’s not at all uncommon for rheumatic patients to have overlaps with thyroid disease, including autoimmune thyroid diseases. I have a lovely mix of Hashimoto’s and several hot hyperfunctioning autonomous nodules, so I have a confusing mix of both hypo and hyper symptoms that wax and wane. I am hopeful that by discovering that I also have one of the MTHFR gene mutations and learning what to do about will help to support my thyroid and systemic inflammation associated with RA, as well. Just another piece of a wide and varied puzzle! There is no doubt in my mind that folks with this genetic mutation have difficulty metabolizing folic acid and may be why some people do not do well on methotrexate, which interferes with and depletes folate. Choosing the right type of methylfolate and methylcobalamin and appropriate dosing is critical in this setting.

The Thyroid Pharmacist is worth subscribing to for some really informative articles on how to support thyroid health. Dr. Izabella Wentz, the author, is a very well-informed doc and was able to reverse her thyroid disease. For anyone else with Hashimoto’s overlap with their rheumatic disease, she has a book, called, “Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Root Cause,” which can be found on Amazon:

Linda L
    Participant

maz,
    You are aMAZing. I have ordered the book and subscribed. In fact it was sitting in my mind that my thyroid conditions is not clear to me. I don’t know much about it and don’t understand. So I hope this book will help me. It is like you have made one step ahead for me.
    I suspect /maybe I am not right/ that it is very difficult to distinguish between hypothyroidism and Hashimoto”s disease.
    Symptoms are so similar.
    Thank you very much!
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

A Friend
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Hi Linda,

Here’s an article re: MTHFR and hypothyroidism (specifically Hashimoto’s) that I thought you and others might find of interest.

http://www.thyroidpharmacist.com/blog/mthfr-hashimotos-and-nutrients

It’s not at all uncommon for rheumatic patients to have overlaps with thyroid disease, including autoimmune thyroid diseases. I have a lovely mix of Hashimoto’s and several hot hyperfunctioning autonomous nodules, so I have a confusing mix of both hypo and hyper symptoms that wax and wane. I am hopeful that by discovering that I also have one of the MTHFR gene mutations and learning what to do about will help to support my thyroid and systemic inflammation associated with RA, as well. Just another piece of a wide and varied puzzle! There is no doubt in my mind that folks with this genetic mutation have difficulty metabolizing folic acid and may be why some people do not do well on methotrexate, which interferes with and depletes folate. Choosing the right type of methylfolate and methylcobalamin and appropriate dosing is critical in this setting.

The Thyroid Pharmacist is worth subscribing to for some really informative articles on how to support thyroid health. Dr. Izabella Wentz, the author, is a very well-informed doc and was able to reverse her thyroid disease. For anyone else with Hashimoto’s overlap with their rheumatic disease, she has a book, called, “Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Root Cause,” which can be found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615825796?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0615825796&linkCode=xm2&tag=thyroipharma-20

Maz, all,
    For the past year or two, I have been submerged with involvement with family hospitalizations, etc. plus trying to recuperate from a couple of years of debilitating problems of my own. Am hoping we are seeing some “light at the end of the tunnel.”

I’ve just been skimming over my inbox and am very impressed with the depth of information all of us reading on the BB might further learn on the subject of gene involvement and related health problems. I have copied and am about to paste information from a very knowledgeable pharmacist, which can/will increase our knowledge and understanding of various illnesses. Hope this information will be clear to us. (If not, there’s always the EDIT option, isn’t there?)
    So glad I read deeper into the information in this link from Suzy Cohen, which came today and was in my Inbox. There is much we who have experienced (or, who are experiencing) chronic illnesses want to know –

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.