Home Forums General Discussion Missed Dose

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jasregadoo

I’m currently up to 200mg a day. I take supplements and other meds with breakfast. Then I take my minocycline 2 hours later. I take my second dose of minocycline a couple of hours after dinner.

My problem is that I sometimes forget that first dose of minocycline. I am going to try setting an alarm, and see what that does for me.

BUT, if for some reason some days I miss that first dose, do you think it’s better to skip that dose for the day and just take the one after dinner, or is it better to just double up my dose (take 200mg) after dinner?

Thanks

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jas

Would not think taking a double dose would be helpful. You’ll find that advice with almost all medications in the ‘how to take’ leaflet that comes with them. Additionally, you might want to consider this from the Pulsed Protocol document:

Because absorption takes place from all levels of the alimentary tract from the stomach onwards, but is never complete, the larger the dose the lower is the proportion of it is absorbed. The mechanism responsible for the decreased absorption appears to be two-fold:

tetracycline soluability is better in the more acid solution of the stomach; less so in the alkaline solution of the intestine.
    tetracyclines also tend to combine with divalent metals, of which calcium is likely to be present in the largest amount.

https://www.roadback.org/resources/recommended-reading-viewing/pulsed-antibiotic-protocol-and-rationale/#tetracycline

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Hi, Julie. I’m currently trying to increase to 200 mg on MWF, and have decided to take one daily dose instead of 2 daily doses due to the timing issues with supplements, and trying to take on an empty stomach. There seem to be about as many ways to take minocycline as there are patients taking it. I can identify with forgetting to take a dose. I used to take my first one 2 hours after breakfast, but if I forgot, then I had to wait to eat lunch later. So I started taking my dose as soon as I get up around 6:00 a.m., then I can have breakfast an hour or so later. I can then take my mineral supplements with lunch and hopefully not have them interfere with the mino.

I seem to remember a post from a long-time user who said he takes his mino only once per day.

Karen

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Began abx treatment 12/2014.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

richie
    Participant

`Hi Ifyou missed a dose –its gone -doubling up not really a good gold idea —heres a thought -get a pill case and put your days meds in it —i found this much easier to keep track of meds —
    richie

JoAnnC68
    Participant

I was always forgetting to take my mino too. Now I have a timer set-up on my I-phone, it will go off at 10am and 3pm daily to remind me. If I don’t get up and go get it right then I will forget!! 😉

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

jasregadoo

Thanks everyone. 🙂 I’ve been setting a timer to remind me this week, and haven’t missed any doses. So I found the answer for now. Thanks for letting me know to not double up, as that was my question.

Julie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.