Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline questions (from Trillium17)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

Trillium17,

Hello Vinny: I have been having flares in my hands since the Fall. I have been using doxycycline hyclate 100 mg BID for a while, manuf. identifies as “Mutual” which I looked up and find is Sun Pharmaceutical Mumbai India. but not seeing much relief. Since I have never tried minocin/minocycline before, am planning to call Dr. Monday to get an Rx. (Am on forum today because I knew I needed to know something about manufacturers before I do that and get the wrong one chosen for me.) I seem to recall being warned away from TEVA out of Israel? Is that right? I have also looked up canadadrug.com and find Minocin out of NZ for $2.33 per pill. What is best source right now price-wise.

Original location: https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/relapsing-due-to-inability-to-lack-of-brand-minocin/page/3/#post-461668

These are the main minocycline generics most of our U.S. members have been taking:

Teva (formerly Actavis) capsules – Made in India
    Torrent (formerly Ranbaxy) capsules – Made in New Jersey
    Zydus (formerly Teva) capsules – Made in Pennsylvania

How long have you been taking doxycycline, and how long have you been taking 100 mg BID?

How long have you been taking LDN? Did you start at 3.0 mg, or did you work your way up from lower dose? The reason I ask is because LDN may be making you feel worse rather than better.

How much vitamin D are you taking? Years ago, when I was experiencing joint and muscle pain, vitamin D made me feel worse. Because of that, I used caution when supplementing with vitamin D by taking a multivitamin only once or twice a week.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Trillium17
    Participant

Hello Phil: Thank you for your response. First, I should say that I have had definite success with doxycycline in the past. My original rheumatologist was not in favor of a trial…and not at all in favor of minocycline. He had me try plaquenil and sulfasalazine/naproxen first, kept telling me that antibiotic therapy had been found to be ineffective, the old story, but by November 2015, I got an Rx for doxycycline. I also use sulfasalazine (2 grams/day rheum. said that’s not a large dose) … naproxen 500 mg at need, for my hands. My hands are my problem now. I have one crippled joint and 2 others trying to go there… besides two crippled toes. (Should say, was afraid to lose that Rx, I didn’t push rheumatologist for minocycline again. He got testy. In fact, he pestered me so to go on methotrexate, I have never been back to him yet. My GP supplies the Rx at this point.) I had lots of trouble walking until I tried Doxy, but for me, it kicked in very quickly. No more trouble walking. I took it twice daily until last summer, when I tried an elimination diet, & took a break from all 3 drugs. Then, my husband became seriously ill, and I kind of didn’t pay enough attention to my own issues. By Dec, much stress. Major, painful, flare in hands. But also, new GUT issues… some unfamiliar constipation. I thought I’d work on that before restarting doxy. I’ve taken daily probiotics, prebiotic and glutamine in early AM, for months, before any food or any drugs. Then, I restarted doxy about 3 weeks ago.

2) I read about LDN, tried it at 1.5 mg. At first it worked as expected, then no more. I went up to 3 mg/day but it seemed like I was indeed, beginning to think… do I feel worse? Just recently, I am trying it again, back at 1.5 mg/day.
    3) As to Vitamin D, only 2000 IU daily. I don’t get outside or exercise enough in the winters. No multivitamins… but I do take B-50 complex, etc. Liposomal Vit C., Vit K2, N-acetyl cysteine. Am trying MSM as of yesterday. But do you ever just get sick of taking pills? I’m trying to be selective about supplements, watch my diet… am not overweight and thyroid okay.

I hope this was not too much detail, and that I have answered your questions. Sorry for posting in wrong place and being a bother. (Still getting comfortable with posting at all, if you know what I mean!!)

Psoriatic Arthritis (hands/feet) b4 May 2013; diag Oct, 2013. Family history: GrF 100% disabled & died of RA age 42. Mom prob had PA, had patches of eczemas, undiagnosed, untreated, deformed hands. Me: HLA-B27 Positive; RA factor Neg; ANA negative; CRP & CCP Ab negative; Sed Rate low.

PhilC
    Participant

Trillium17,

As you have probably realized by now, stopping the doxycycline was a big mistake. Because you did that, it’s quite possible that it will not work as quickly for you as it did the first time. Also, three weeks is not enough time to assess whether the doxy is going to be effective for you.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Phil,

I’m curious about your comment about Vitamin D. I have naturally low Vit D levels so I supplement with 5000 IU. Yet recently, I’ve noticed a worsening of my osteoarthritis. Where did you learn of a connection between Vit D and joint pain?

vinny
    Participant

I stayed off minocycline for 3 weeks to verify that it was causing my low blood count. By the end of the third week I was in unacceptable pain in neck and both shoulders. I started on Plaquenil and daily minocycline. I also added doxycycline, taking it in the morning and minocycline with supper. It has taken several weeks, but am out of pain this week. I buy Minocycline TABLETS called Minoz from alldaychemist. On the box it says made by Rexcin for Sun. These are made in India and have always worked best for me.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

PhilC
    Participant

I’m curious about your comment about Vitamin D. I have naturally low Vit D levels so I supplement with 5000 IU. Yet recently, I’ve noticed a worsening of my osteoarthritis. Where did you learn of a connection between Vit D and joint pain?

I read about it years ago in a nutrition book. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the name. 5000 I.U. per day is a lot of vitamin D. That dose may be safe (for people who are deficient) on a short-term basis, but I doubt that it’s safe when taken on a long-term basis. Currently, I can tolerate about 800 I.U. per day. I actually take less than that because one day a week I take 400 I.U. instead of 800 I.U.

- Albert Einstein

Spiffy1

Yes, I had always heard that tablets were a bentter choice than capsules. I don’t remember the specifics as to why. Possibly it was because of the fillers or something.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

vinny
    Participant

My theory is that that tablets metabolize at a much slower rate than powder filled capsules. Branded Minocin has pelletized filled capsules which take longer to metabolize. My theory only!!

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.