Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline prescription tip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

When I recently started taking minocycline, I started out taking 100 mg, but quickly realized that was too high of a dose for me. So I decided to look into how minocycline is normally prescribed and found this:

Infections, General Dosing
    ———————————————–
    Initial: 200 mg PO/IV, THEN 100 mg PO/IV q12hr, OR
    Initial 100-200 mg PO, THEN 50 mg PO QID

Ref.:
    http://reference.medscape.com/drug/dynacin-minocin-minocycline-342549

In plain English:

The usual dosage of minocycline hydrochloride tablets is 200 mg
    initially followed by 100 mg every 12 hours. Alternatively, if more
    frequent doses are preferred, two or four 50 mg tablets may be given
    initially followed by one 50 mg tablet four times daily.

Ref.:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=37baf13f-cc65-44a1-93d9-e5213875af1a

Based on this information, I asked my doctor to write the prescription for minocycline according to the alternate dosing schedule of 50 mg, four times daily. That way, it is very easy to adjust my dose. I also asked my doctor to specify minocycline tablets on the prescription so I could reduce my dose even further (if necessary) by cutting the tablets in half.

I just thought I’d pass this information along since I believe others may find it to be useful.

EDIT: By the way, in case anyone is confused, the idea is not to take 50 mg of minocycline four times a day; the idea is to have the prescription filled with 50 mg capsules or tablets while still having it written “by the book.” Doing things “by the book” (or the appearance of doing them “by the book”), when possible, helps avoid unwanted questions from insurance companies and the like.

Added on 28-May-2016:

Another, more flexible option is to have your doctor write the prescription for 50 mg capsules (or tablets), but without changing the dosing schedule, in which case your prescription might read (for example) something like this: “Take 2 capsules by mouth twice daily.”

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

I can see the value of 50 mg doses however if one is following the so-called Harvard Protocol which calls for no food or other meds for two hours before or two hours after –the day isnt long enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,
    @richie wrote:

I can see the value of 50 mg doses however if one is following the so-called Harvard Protocol which calls for no food or other meds for two hours before or two hours after –the day isnt long enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. This tip is mainly of value to people who are just starting on minocycline and may not be able to tolerate a 100 mg dose. It would also be useful to people who want to try a higher dose, such as 125 mg, 150 mg, 175 mg, etc.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.