Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline, & Minocin, Whats the difference ?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nico
    Participant

Minocycline & Minocin what is the difference between these two. And do they do the same thing? I'm new to this and there's lots of words, & initials flying around, appreciate it !

Thanks 🙂 Nico

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=268]Nico[/user] wrote:

Minocycline & Minocin what is the difference between these two. And do they do the same thing?

Hi Nico,

Do you want the long or the short version of this? LOL 😉  Oh heck…might as well go the full hog!

Minocin is the “brand name” of minocycline, patent originally owned by Lederle, but sold to Wyeth Pharaceuticals, who gave distribution rights to Triax in the US and Stiefel in Canada. Brand named Minocin comes in a pea-green, two-toned capsule and the medication is pelletized. Some say the brand name is superior, because it doesn't contain fillers and the pellet form affords a slower, more controlled release into the bloodstream.  It is also believed to be less erosive to the esophagus for those suffering with scleroderma or reflux.

The downside of brand name Minocin here in the US is that Triax is a cosmetic drug company and when they got distribution rights, they began selling Minocin in zit packs for acne at an inflated, extortionate cost. When I first got a prescription for “brand only” Minocin, my insurance carrier covered less than half for 60 caps and I paid a further $500 odd. I soon learned it was much cheaper to buy Minocin from buylowdrugs.com, a Canadian online drug company, and now get Stiefel brand Minocin (exactly the same as Triax, but in a purple/orange capsule). The full cost for 100 count caps was about $115 including postage and packaging.

Minocycline is the “generic no-name” version of minocin. In other words, other pharmaceutical companies have copied Minocin, but aren't actually allowed to distribute it in exactly the same version. So, minocycline will come in powdered form in capsules or pill form. Some people find they fare just as well on generic minocycline and don't bother with the brand. Others say they are sensitive to the fillers or that the generic is less effective for them, some generic versions being less “trustworthy” than others. Two generics that seem to have the thumbs up from users here are made by Teva or Watson in the US, though there are other generics out there.

Generics are usually fully covered by insurance carriers aside from any co-pay, but some have managed to get approval for full coverage on Minocin, if the doctor cites special circumstances that require the brand. Here is a useful link giving info about putting individual cases forward for approval to insurance companies for using brand name mino:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/170.html

Under the Education tab on the main page is an article that discusses the efficacy of brand name drugs vs generics, by clicking on “Articles”:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/120.html

Think I got the facts straight here, but please feel free to correct me, if I've got something askew.

Nico – hope you're not even more blinded by science now – I know I was in the beginning!

Peace, Maz

Nico
    Participant

Which brand is the best ? The one you use from buylowdrugs is that a good generic? or is it in your opinion best to use the brand name Minocin.

Thanks Nico

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Nico,

Well, I currently use the brand name Minocin distributed by Stiefel in Canada and purchased through buylowdrugs.com. I haven't tried the generic 'no name' minocycline (like Teva and Watson here in the US) just because my comfort zone when I began AP was to ensure I was getting the full whack for my severe RA. I also have a bottle of generic Watson minocycline as a back-up, in case I don't get my Minocin orders on time, but haven't needed to try it yet.

If it's within your budget to buy Minocin from Canada (about $115 for 100 count of 100mg caps incl postage & packing, taking about 10 days for delivery after making online order), then you could have a go with the brand. The “border patrol” puts little red labels on the package warning the US consumer of buying non-FDA approved drugs from Canada and that orders may in future be seized, but haven't heard of that happening to anyone here…yet. But, you can smile a wry smile, considering Stiefel brand Minocin and Triax brand Minocin are both made by Wyeth! My Dad, a veterinary surgeon, used to work for Eli Lilly Drug Co up in Canada on the animal drug admin side and he says the quality control is pretty darned strict for all drugs in Canada, so I have no concerns about buying from there and buylowdrugs is frequented by many here who all have been satisfied with the service.

Otherwise, there are users of the generic no name minocycline here who say it's just as good as the brand name Minocin and they only pay their insurance co-pay. As I say, I haven't tried the generic yet, so can't really make a comparison about efficacy from personal experience. Others who have used a generic may be able to share their experience of them.

It's really a personal choice. As a suggestion, you could try a generic first (checking with your pharmacy which generic they supply) and, then, if you don't feel much improvement after a few months or just want to compare the generic with the brand for yourself, at least you know there is the option of purchasing Minocin cheaper from Canada.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation! Just trying to cover corners… 😉 Richie is so masterful with the one line explanations, but I just ramble on and on…

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

The “border patrol” puts little red labels on the package warning the US consumer of buying non-FDA approved drugs from Canada and that orders may in future be seized, but haven't heard of that happening to anyone here…yet. 

It happened to me!  When we bought our first batch or Brand Mino from Canada, our first shippment was seized.  The good news is that the company quickly replaced it, there was probably only a one week delay. 

Last week, when we were coming back from Mexico with some of the med that Jess uses for her Raynaud's and I had been debating coverage with my new insurance company, the Border Patrol asked if we had any prescription drugs.  Of course, we answered yes, they asked what, I told them, they asked who was carrying it, I told them Jess had the drug.  The guy almost fell over, he said, “she is the last person that I would have thought would have that drug.”  (It is commonly known for another use by men)  So we had to go into another room and the agent gave us a BIG lecture about how the FDA doesn't recommend drugs from outside the US.  It was all I could do to keep Jess from making a smart remark!  I just asked the officer if it was legal, he said yes and I said thank you, trying to imply that we didn't need his lecture.

Cheryl

Nico
    Participant

Thanks fo the info. Thats not that much to pay for the real thing.  Now I just need to get one of my Dr. to write a perscription for it, or don't I need that ?

I have several Dr. from Rumy, skin, to finger etc. I hope I can get one of them too.  I wish there where more Dr. willing to try this AP, you know its not like we got alot to lose !!

Thanks again,

Nico 🙂

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=268]Nico[/user] wrote:

Now I just need to get one of my Dr. to write a perscription for it, or don't I need that ?

Nico,

To order from Canada you do need an prescription.  There are some online dealers where you can buy from India without an RX, but I have never heard anyone say they thought that was a good idea. 

Cheryl

Maz
    Keymaster

Nico – a few things worthy of mention….if you decide to order online from buylowdrugs.com, be sure to add on the drug description line that you want “Stiefel Brand Minocin – Pelletized Only”. This way there is no confusion in the order. The capsules you receive should be purple on one end and orange on the other.

It's also a good idea to call them at the customer service phone # on the website an hour after faxing your prescription and order form to be sure they received the fax.

Also, when I placed my order, my doc had written the prescription for 90 caps, but I called in advance of placing my first order and they said if I wanted they would make it 100 caps so that the container I received would be sealed. Of course, I paid for the extra 10 caps, but, hey, who's gonna argue with that offer?  :roll-laugh: LOL

Peace, Maz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Minocycline, & Minocin, Whats the difference ?’ is closed to new replies.