Home Forums General Discussion minocycline, does it affect urine PH or citrate?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

So, since I’ve been on minocycline, I’ve had a sudden flare of kidney stones. Never had kidney stones until about 5 months after starting minocycline. I’ve gotten 3 more since January. And since I’ve been taking Mino every day for 3 weeks, my stones have grown by 3 milimeters each, whereas it had taken 4 months for them just to form. The only single thing changed in my diet and lifestyle is the increase in Minocycline. My stones are caused by a decrease in citrate and a low PH level. I really don’t think my body suddenly started making kidney stones this rapidly for no reason. It seems abundantly clear to me that something I’m taking is causing this to happen. These stones have literally almost doubled size in3 weeks. And it just so happens that I started taking Mino every day, starting exactly 3 weeks ago( i was trying to prevent infection from the stones). Somebody has got to know something about this! It’s either that minocycline is messing with my phosphate levels, or its doing something to dump more calcium or oxalate in my urine.

richie
    Participant

Minocycline is really not advisable if there are underlying kidney issues —kidney function when taking minocycline should be checked every 6 months or so –BUN and Creatinine –
    richie

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

All my kidney function tests are totally normal

Maz
    Keymaster

Chris, do you know what type of kidney stones you’re dealing with? Note from mayo article that Struvite stones can develop pretty quickly and have been attributed to urinary tract infections.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/basics/causes/con-20024829

You may have trouble discovering if mino is involved in your kidney stone formation, but one theory is that the human body tries to wall off infection by forming cysts, fibrotic growths, nodules, stones, etc. I had this discussion with a mainstream orthopedist when he was draining a ganglion cyst and he totally agreed, which actually kind of shocked me! 😯

If you can have a stone tested to determine type, you might have a better answer as to cause.

I beg to differ with Richie on the point that folks with renal disease shouldn’t use mino. There have been SD patients with kidney involvement who find AP later on and they have tolerated it well. There are studies confirming its safety profile in renal failure patients and it’s more a question of dosing (must not exceed 200mg per day). Each person’s situation is unique and Ritchie’s suggestion that close medical supervision in such patients is a wise and prudent thing to do.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC429414/

http://www.globalrph.com/renaldosing2.htm

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

My stones are calcium oxalate/calcium phosphate

Maz
    Keymaster

@JustDiagnosedChris wrote:

My stones are calcium oxalate/calcium phosphate

Has Dr. F. checked parathyroid function (parathyroid immuno assay), Chris?

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I need to ask him, I’m sure he has but I will double check. Or maybe I’ll have my GP check since I can’t see Dr. F until august

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.