Home Forums General Discussion minocycline and plaquinil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    isobelle44
    Participant

Can a person take minocycline and plaquinil at the same time?  Thanks, Sharon

Joe M
    Participant

Yes.

I think John McDonald was on plaquenil for a while… maybe he can provide some input. 

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

The rheumy that Jess was seeing last summer RXd Plaq for her while she was on the Mino.  Of course you should check with your pharmacist for any contraindications, but this doctor wanted Jess to take it.  We never filled the RX.  He even gave me a copy of a sceintific article explaining how Plaq is antimicrobial.  Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

Cheryl

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Isobelle,

I was on plaquenil in combo with tetracycline and biaxin for 4.5 months…used as a cyst buster for Lyme Disease, as well as immunomodulatory effects on rheumatoid disease. Just be sure to have regular eye check-ups – every 6 months. The chances it will affect the eyes are very small, but better to play it safe. I had to come off it, though, as I started to get aura migraines once or twice a day…blind spots and jagged flashing arc-like lights.  They stopped as soon as I came off it. Wasn't bothered by stopping it cold turkey, but probably because it hadn't really had time to kick in properly. Can take 3 to 6 months to reach full effect. I think my reaction was pretty rare. 😉 

Peace, Maz

JBJBJB
    Participant

Sharon,

I am on 200 mg Plaquenil and also 200 mg minoncycline. Before I started AP, I had 400 mg plaquenil, after 2 weeks on AP, I dropped 200 mg Plaquenil. Two well-known doctors I talked to suggest I drop all of them if I see improvement on AP. I am planning on droping the rest of 200 mg three months later.

Here is the link of previous discuss on this topic. http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=542&forum_id=1&highlight=plaquenil  

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi Sharon. I have been on mino and plaquenil since last October. I am moving a little more cautiously than JB. I also started at 400 mg plaquenil, went to 300, now I am at 200.  I will likely stay on plaquenil a full year — cutting down to 100 in late summer, and then — if all is well — eliminating at the end of October.

I had an eye exam on Friday and all still looks good. The  complications are rare, but real. The minocycline and plaquenil play well together. The only downside — both are hard on your stomach — so together they are a tough prescription. Be sure to take care with your diet and supplements.

Bonnie Lou

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Parisa
    Participant

My husband has been on plaquenil for over a year now.  He gets his eyes checked every six months.  His last check up showed no problems from the plaquenil but he is starting to get cataracts from the  prednisone.  We're hoping to get him off it in the near future (although the process will take about six months).

klogan
    Participant

I tried plaquenil before I started on AP. After three weeks, I got a full body rash, dry mouth, depression, and itching. I think now that this could have been a herx, so I may try it again with doxy, but SLOWLY. I have heard others say you can herx with plaquenil, so it is worth ramping up slowly. Conventional rhuemies will say that it only works at a certain level, but I know that my immune system kicks into overdrive herxville with small amounts of antibiotics and even detox (not baths with backing soda and peroxide, for example).

Slow, that's the ticket.

KAnderson
    Participant

To prevent stomach problems with the Plaquenil you have to take it with food. Ive been taking it for over a year now with no side effects, other than yellow wee!

Its great for Scotland as the midgies dont seem to bite you when your on it :roll-laugh: woohoo

K

Maz
    Keymaster

Karin…love your new avatar…I didn't want to say anything before, but the other one looked a bit like a tick and was freaking me out! :roll-laugh: I know, I'm a nut.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Maz,

You must have not fed your tick well enough because my two are still alive after 8 days in a zip-loc baggie, which is freaking me out. 😯     kim

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Kim…I dunno…mine died so fast, I was concerned I may have left a body part in my scalp. :sick: If yours are still alive, it's a good sign you got all the bits. Ugh…horrible critters.

Peace, Maz

KAnderson
    Participant

ewwwww guys thats gross. OK a tip, Ticks love horses and I used to have one, a horse that is:). To remove them we would burn their bums with a hot match, that way they would pull back their heads and you could get rid of them. Luckily in Scotland we dont suffer much from them, although the scouts came back from camp with a few!!!  Light the match blow it out and press the blackened end to the bum quickly.

Yeah, my new avatar……dont mess with me, bad mood! :roll-laugh: I thought he was very apt for today.

K

Maz
    Keymaster

Even in a grumpy mood, all kinda green and fluffy :sick:, you look kinda cute in your furry slippers, Karin, if your avatar is anything to go by.  LOL

Yes, I'd always been told to burn the little blighter with a hot match end, too. That's always been the traditionally accepted means for doing it, but then someone on a Lyme group said this was ill advised, because before they let go, they spew their saliva (spirochete load and all) into the host. Some people use soap, too, and that apparently works to detatch them, but causes the same thing. Ugh… Who knows? I just pluck them with tweezers now to be on the safe side. Don't know if horses get Lyme/coinfections or not (?), but poor ol' dogs do.

Peace, Maz

KAnderson
    Participant

:roll-laugh: thanks Maz that image will stay with you forever now!:cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ minocycline and plaquinil’ is closed to new replies.