Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline and iron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

On http://www.nps.org.au it is said that there can be interference between minocycline and iron. I was taking mino in the past and iron supplements at the same time. Could it be the reason that it didn’t work for me?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

OH LA LA.Iron,calcium never should be taken with most antibiotics.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Linda,

See FAQ:39 on the main website.

Do you have a copy of the Henry Scammell book? Dr. Brown talks about the anemia experienced by RA patients and that very often it resolves over time after being on AP (provided it’s not caused by co-morbidities e.g., hypothyroidism, stomach/gut ulcers, etc., that require other interventions).

Have you looked back at your old posts here on the forum? There are quite a few relevant discussions you might like to re-read.

Linda L
    Participant

Yes, I have the book. I will read it again. How to find my old posts on the forum? Is there any search system? Thank you Maz.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Linda,

You can search your old posts by typing your user name in the search box at the top of the General Discussion area – Linda L – and then all topic discussions will pop up with your name in them. Any trouble, pls let me know…

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,

I was taking mino in the past and iron supplements at the same time. Could it be the reason that it didn’t work for me?

Probably not. Were you taking them together, at the same time, or at different times of the day?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

At different times of the day.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

If you took iron and minocycline at least two hours apart, then there shouldn’t have been any problem. You only took mino for a little over a year. What dose were you taking?

- Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

I started in April 2014 with 50mg Mon/Wed/Sat. After 20 days 100mg twice a day every day. After two weeks 100mg every day. In October 100mg twice a day Mon/Wed/Sat. From December 100mg Mon/Wed/Sat. End of February 100mg twice a day every day. I stopped taking it at the end of August. I was in touch with Dr Sinnott and followed his instructions. During that time I was still taking prednisone and methotrexate, decreasing and increasing up-and-down a few times. Pain wasn’t improved and despite taking good probiotics I fighted with kind of inflammation in my lungs all the time.
    Some months before that experience I was on AP protocol with an experienced AP doctor. That time I asked for Mino, but she said that they had better antibiotics and prescribed Biaxsig, Amoxil, Klacid, Ceclor, Ciproxin. This situation was similar, also like having flu, dark phlegm and temperature. Pain increased. I was on this protocol for about three months. I had to stop it because when I came to the doctor I was walking freely and after three months I started to have problems with walking. I felt so much worse.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Linda L
    Participant

I think that after pneumonia x 3 my lungs are weak.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,

One thing that really stands out is that your treatment was very aggressive. You started out taking 50 mg on Mon/Wed/Sat, but then jumped to the full dose after only 20 days. That was a very abrupt change. I would have increased the dose in a much more gradual manner.

Regarding the lung inflammation you experienced, there’s a possibility that you cannot tolerate minocycline. One of the possible side effects of minocycline is pulmonary eosinophilia.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

In the past I had three times clamydia pneumonia detected as low positive. Of course they never know if it’s present at the moment or was in the past.
    Thank you Maz and Phil.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.