Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline Absorption

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Luck20
    Participant

Any tips for best absorption of Minocycline? I know about avoiding iron supplements and calcium at the same time. Someone told me about avoiding probiotics at the same time, but I couldnt find anything to back that up.

Does anything increase absorption?

Thanks!

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Luck;
    I also had/have Lyme and SD.It sounds like you are on the right combination of antibiotics since you think you have Lyme or more likely one of it’s co-infections.I was told to take mino on an empty stomach for maximum benefit and I thought I would die from stomach pain and nausea.I have to take it with food and have never had a problem since
    I found out about digestive enzyme that help immensely with digestion.They make the food transition to the gut much faster and that aliviated swelling and gerd since there was nothing left in the stomach to come up and haunt me in the night.Before bed I would take a glass of water with 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda to counteract the remaning acid in the stomach.After a couple weeks I did not have to use any acid preventing meds.They are cheap,I found that the blend made by GNC was best for me as it has around 16 kinds of enzymes,one for cellulose,one for meat,one for dairy etc.The GNC brand comes in a big blue or beige bottle of 240 capsules and costs around 30$ I take 2 with a meal and 1 with a snack.Never take your probiotics along with the antibiotic as it will kill off the good bacteria,wait a couple hours after eating

Luck20
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Lynne,

I can’t handle mino on an empty stomach either. I switched from a generic to brand name Minocin in mid. Dec. Maybe the name brand is easier on an empty stomach? I’ll have to try it and see if I can keep it down without food.

I’ll have to look into the digestive enzymes. I’ve never heard of that. It sounds great.

Thanks for the confirmation on the probiotics. I figured that but I was curious because I seldom find info warning thats a problem.

As for the lyme, I had a bulleye once but dismissed it at the time because I never had or saw a tick and never developed a fever. So glad my doctor is covering that without a positive test. I’m getting better, so whatever I’m doing must be working!

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Also I know it helps me at least to drink a LOT of water with the mino. If I dont drink enough, that’s when my stomach is gonna get sick. But if I drink a ton of water with it I dont have a problem.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Maz
    Keymaster

Just for possible interest’s sake, a compounding pharmacy in MA is now offering Liposomal minocycline (as well as other classes of abx) to aid in absorption.

It’s okay to eat a light meal with minocycline if it’s hard on an empty stomach; just nothing with heavy mineral content (e.g., iron or calcium-rich foods). Some folks here will take it with apple sauce or crackers, for instance.

Luck20
    Participant

I’m sure to drink a glass or two of water with it. I read some scary things about it being very damaging to your esophagus if you take it with only a gulp of water and it comes back up. I also read about the name brand Minocin being easier on people than generics because its pelleted instead of powdered. Sorry I don’t have links. I gotta get better at recording sources of info.

redrock
    Participant

Luck20, where are you getting brand Minocin? I’m not sure where you are located but it stopped being manufactured in the U.S. about four years ago.

Does anyone know if you can take Mino and Nexium at the same time?

Luck20
    Participant

Bylowdrugs from Canada. Its around $70 a month out of pocket. They import it from England. They seem real polite and professional. I’m saving a bundle getting the Tinidazole there. Its 1/5 the price I was paying. You can go to the website and check prices real easily. Only drawback, is they only sell in prepackaged quantities and fda only allows a 90 day supply.

redrock
    Participant

Are you talking about Aknemin?

Luck20
    Participant

$70 month for Miocin name brand of Minocycline. I get the 3 month supply for around $210. So, yes, you can still get name brand shipped to you in the US.

I just started getting the Tinidazole too, way cheaper than going through my insurance. Its Fasigyn or Pfizer brand from India. Just starting with that. Not sure of the quality, but way cheaper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.