Home Forums General Discussion Minocyclene price

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy

Imagine my husband’s surprise when he went to Target to get my Ranbaxy brand that we normally pay a 20 dollar copay…..240$. Target did not know why and suggested we hAd not met our deductible. I have been on Doxy or Mino since Dec. 2014. This has not ever been an issue. I know Sun pharm. bought out Ranbaxy so maybe this has something to do with it even though my bottle says Ranbaxy. I also know that Rite Aid has taken over the Target pharmacy…at least the one I go to. I have always been so pleased that my medicine has been very affordable. Any thoughts?

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

SherryP
    Participant

I just picked up a prescription from WalMart for Ranbaxy minocycline and paid around $33. we have no insurance so that is our self pay price. It is higher at Rite Aid but not THAT much more!

Sherry

Maz
    Keymaster

Spiffy, I had the same shock-horror moment when I went to pick up my generic clarithromycin from Walgreens last month and this month…same exact issue. Never happened before, even when deductible wasn’t yet met for the new year. These pills probably cost a few cents each to produce, so this is absolutely ridiculous and someone is on the make. I think Phil posted something about pharmaceuticals, like Valeant, teaming up with specific pharmacy chains to be sole sellers of their medications, and I have a bad feeling that monopolies, like this, are doing it for less than altruistic reasons.

richie
    Participant

The prices on antibiotics have gone crazy –my last RX for minocin brand cost my pharmacist 7000. for 180 capsules –the current owner of minocin Valeant -there day of reckoning has begun –Investigations etc –Not to mention SEC woes –stock has gone from over 150 to the thirties

richie
    Participant

I finally got my log in straightened out —I am technologically challenged !!! Valeant sent 100 million dollars to a pharmacy they set up to dispense their meds –this pharmacy filled the RX,sto the consumer for very low money –valeant shows a sale of the med on their books -this pharmacy that was banked by Valeant sells the med at a huge loss –Valeant shows a profit -the pharmacy shows a loss –they actually lost money that was funded by Valeant back door —their entire operation is being scrutinized by many federal agencies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

richie – noticed you hadn’t been around. Don’t ever sit getting frustrated with login issues, send an email to forumadmin@roadback.org. Can pretty well assure you it can be sorted for you in a few minutes 🙂

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

jasregadoo

Spiffy, that’s discouraging. I was on Ranbaxy for awhile, and I did well on it. I haven’t been able to get it recently…I wonder if next time I ask, if I’m going to be hit with sticker shock like this?

Richie, welcome back! You’ve been missed. Glad you got your sign in issues worked out. I had a bit of an issue when we first transferred over to the new website as well.

Spiffy

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Looks like I might be trying Wal Mart next time. I have no idea. Maybe this will encourage me to go back to 100 mgs MWF instead of twice! Yikes!

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

richie
    Participant

I am a very strong believer in using a small pharmacist for all my meds –better service-more experienced -and its all the same price –When one is sick they should have a care team in place –doctors and then a competent pharmacist –I honestly think a small private pharmacy is a superior option !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Richie

CMS12
    Participant

Yeah brand Minocin according to Walgreens is now $3,000 for 30 pills. I got lucky. I just entered Medicare status and Medicare part D approved it for me for one year. I was shocked. Even though the price has gone up it hasn’t gone up yet in tiers. So my copay is miniscule because it’s still classed as a standard antibiotic. Of course I haven’t hit the donut hole yet in Medicare where I have to pay for my scripts up to $4K. At that point I’ll have to pay for it myself but only a couple of times.

Hopefully, this gets straightened out soon. The cost of Minocin has skyrocketed in the last two years.

jasregadoo

I tried the small private pharmacy option, and didn’t have any luck. They didn’t have any better prices, and they didn’t have any options different than at CVS or Walgreens. I was trying to get a better generic than Aurobindo, and was getting the run around. I called two small pharmacies, and one compounding pharmacy. Very frustrating. I’m not discounting Richie’s experience with his local pharmacy, and perhaps I should have kept trying. But I found the entire thing to be disheartening. I can’t see why we can’t all get the brand name for a reasonable price. It’s not like it’s a new drug in any way shape or form. $3,000 for 30 pills, and I take 2 a day. There’s an argument for pulsed dosing right there, but one that we shouldn’t have to make!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Today, I told my AP Doctor (in Sydney Australia) about the price brand mino is currently in the U.S. She asked me to repeat what I’d said because she thought I’d made a mistake or she’d heard wrongly. When I did, she was absolutely incredulous. Minomycin (the brand we have here, distributed by Aspen) is in a pack of 60 x 50 mg tabs. It’s currently AU$15 (about US$11.5) at a discounted pharmacist. What absolute madness the price is in the U.S.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

This was on the news this morning: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/blink-app-is-like-groupon-for-discount-rx-drugs/

I checked the website and 60 capsules of minocycline 100 mg came to $32.20. Might be worth checking out.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jasregadoo

Trudy, that’s generic, so not the issue that the brand name is. I think I pay about $25 a month for my generic rx.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.