Home Forums General Discussion Minocin vs. Generic minocycline

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bonnielou
    Keymaster

Cindy, thank you for providing your update. The brand/generic issue is a big one, and it affects many of us — including differences in each of the generics. I am glad you are able to manage the cost yourself and hope you are feeling good again shortly.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Maz
    Keymaster

Here’s an interesting perpective re: Multiple sclerosis and minocycline and why it is believed the cost was increased three-fold. Bearing in mind that Lederle sold its patent on Minocin and stopped producing its generic some years ago, I reckon this argument dates back to well before Lederle sold Minocin to Wyeth around the same time that Wyeth was launching its new blockbuster drug, Enbrel. Just found it interesting that the MS community thinks similarly to the rheumatic community re: the inflated cost. (See #4)

http://yournewswire.com/multiple-sclerosis-is-actually-lyme-disease-heres-why/

There never will be a cure for MS until the scandal breaks and new antibiotics are developed that work better than the few currently available antibiotics that cross the blood-brain barrier. As it stands, it has been more than twenty years ago since any new antibiotic was developed. As soon as it was found that Minocycline helped with MS, its manufacturer, Lederle, tripled its price.

richie
    Participant

Hi Its ironic –Wyeth raised the cost of minocin capsules to 3.50 each and there was a great outcry —its gone through about three or four different hands now and the wholesale cost is about 35–38 per capsule –before it was bad now its obscene !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMS12
    Participant

It is really obscene! Retail for me for 30 Minocin capsules is $3,000 according to Walgreens. That’s $100 a capsule. Unbelievable!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.