Home Forums General Discussion Minocin vs. Generic minocycline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CMS12
    Participant

Hi All – I posted over at Rheumatica but thought I would try to get some feedback here too. I started AP in 2008. The results were remarkable for me as after a couple of years of MWF 100mg. Minocin 2x day I went into near remission. I then did brand Minocin MWF 100mg. 1xday until last March when my regular prescription was filled with generic and not brand. I have since learned I’m taking Teva generic. To make a long story short it took several months but I have slowly declined to where I am almost the same as when I first stated AP. My knuckles on my hands are so swollen I can’t see them. My shoulders hurt and I cannot lift my arms. The balls of my feet make it hard to walk. Now my knee pain is coming back too. In short I’m pretty dysfunctional (can’t open bottles, write, wash my hair, hold a cup, and of course the pain….RRRRR). On a positive note though it’s nice to be reminded how well AP worked for me.

So, I figure this must be from the generic. I began researching and discovered Minocin is still being manufactured now by Onset so I ordered it but Walgreens says it is back ordered and I can’t get it until next week.

Has anyone else had a flare when switching from brand Minocin to generic minocycline? Do you think I am right that is the problem and getting brand Minocin will solve it?

Cindy

m.
    Participant

Hi Cindy, I am not taking minocycline, so I’ll let others respond to your questions.

But I noticed you’ve been on AP since 2008.

At the RBF main page, upper right, go to Studies, then Protocols, then Historical Protocol, then Drug Rotation.

Thomas McPherson Brown, MD, originator of antibiotic therapy, found rotating the antibiotic every 4-5 years, even within the same classification, decreased the possibility of developing patient tolerance to the drug. After a rotation period, the original drug may be reinstituted.

richie
    Participant

I would forget about drug rotation I have been taking minocin for 16 years –still in remission –you bet the problem is switching to the generic after being on the brand –the pelleted minocin has superior penetration and also a modified release while the generic is dumped in the gut all at once —I am disappointed to read that you accepted generic instead of the brand –if your prescription read brand and if you had insurance I would inquire of your insurance co how the druggist billed them –The reason most folks take the generic is due to cost –the brand retails for 10–13 per capsule while the generic is far far cheaper—
    richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Cindy
    If you use the search box at the top of first page of General Discussion (where all topics listed) and type in words/phrases such ‘generic mino’ a lot of discussion on people’s experience will come up for you to look through

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

CMS12
    Participant

Hi – Thanks everyone.

Richie – Good to hear you confirm my thoughts that it is the generic! I just wasn’t sure. I was doing so well when I got the generic a few months ago I didn’t think it would matter. Whoa….did it matter! My pharmacy (Walgreens) quickly corrected the problem when I brought it to their attention last Sunday and told me they would dispense brand to me but the manufacturer is out of stock. I hope to get the brand Minocin next week.

Cindy

A Friend
    Participant

Cindy,

As I reply to your post, I have noticed you have received a number of replies, with varied responses.

I would especially be reading what “m” wrote, as well as the others who referenced links and information. Just because one patient may suggest to do what he/she has done because that worked for them, we need to remind ourselves that we are all different… and our body’s response to most everything can be very different from other patients.

Something that was important for me was to often analyze the symptoms that were prolonged, and learn all I could about possible causes of such, and what (often simple) thing might possibly be the “needed” thing to address a symptom causing us discomfort.

Some of the simple, but helpful things that many us have done that had big healthy impact was such as determining if our bodies are overly acidic and learning about and correcting that; also, well away from medication, try the Whole Lemon Olive Oil drink at bedtime to help cleanse the body of wastes (even on immed.org, site of one of the foremost scientists who helped so many veterans figure out their Gulf War syndromes) has written about the lemon/olive oil drink… as well as other doctors/scientists. Our bodies can be overrun with all kinds of waste material that is working against our immune systems.

Also, when we are on AP, if we have become magnesium deficient (which most of us are), magnesium is needed in over 300 different functions in our bodies, and if we do not have enough for our metabolic detoxification nightly/daily, we can end up with the body having to store the daily die-off and wastes in our bodies, and this only adds to the acidic load our bodies have to deal with. A biggy for myself to learn was that I needed especially more magnesium (magnesium chloride by Dr. Sherry Rogers in her book Pain Free in Six Weeks has been VERY helpful). The wastes in our body have to be neutralized before they can be flushed through the kidneys in urine and not harm the kidneys; but the body will store these wastes as long as it can if enough minerals are not still available to safely “borrow/steal” to continue excreting them.

Some searches (by clicking on General Discussion above, will take you to the first page of the BB, where you can type in search words in the little window and find many previous posts on many subjects). By the way, do you just happen to have any root canals, fillings with mercury, or have you had any of your wisdom teeth removed in the past that may have developed cavitations??? Ironically, after 20+ years of chronic illness, the part these played in my own chronic illness have only the past several months been definitely tied to these and remedies done.

Good luck on finding/reversing anything that may need a special kind of help. What I mentioned above is just a few among many things that may need to be known about.

AF

CMS12
    Participant

Once I get the Minocin I will post back here to let you all know the result. I have gotten a couple of responses from folks by email that said they had the same thing happen. For all of you please know that I changed my diet first before I found AP. I even went raw for awhile. Diet helped a lot (and continues to help), but I know this has taught me an invaluable lesson. AP works! Nothing I’ve done other than AP gave me the results….Nothing….and without posting a really long post just know I tried everything!

Hope to report a successful recovery soon. Thanks to everyone for responding. Stay well.

Cindy.

Patti1
    Participant

Hi,

I am taking 100 mg of mino m/w/fri of the generic but do not know what to do if it is not covered my insurance. Should I appeal it or ask the pharmacist what to do. I have more acid reflux with it and really do not feel well with it — and am so emotionally with it. I have a doctor finally who is working with me on this but is somewhat skeptical with this protocol. Should I have another antibiotic with it or fliconazole? I have lung involvement with severe raynauds like to move where it is warm year round.

Thanks,

Patti1

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patti,

Are you taking the minocycline with food, or on an empty stomach?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Hi All – Finally got the brand Minocin. In the end it was only a $70 copay on my insurance. Not sure why Walgreens decided on their own to change to generic last March. The Minocin was back ordered and I didn’t get it until 9/3.

So now I’m really sick….just as sick as I was when I first started AP six years ago. I have been taking Minocin MWF 100 mg. I suspect a herx but I need some reassurance. I’m in bed most days…can’t walk very well…can’t sleep well…in pain….trouble dressing myself…pliers to open even water bottles, etc. Also I had been down to a Celebrex maybe 2-3 x a week. Now I’m taking it 2 x a day and not getting much relief. Before this whole snafu I was in or near remission for several years. Needless to say I’m scared…is this a herx (I was taking the generic minocycline faithfully 3 x week before my symptoms started to return)? Or, is this a failure of AP?

A Friend
    Participant

@CMS12 wrote:

Hi All – Finally got the brand Minocin. In the end it was only a $70 copay on my insurance. Not sure why Walgreens decided on their own to change to generic last March. The Minocin was back ordered and I didn’t get it until 9/3.

So now I’m really sick….just as sick as I was when I first started AP six years ago. I have been taking Minocin MWF 100 mg. I suspect a herx but I need some reassurance. I’m in bed most days…can’t walk very well…can’t sleep well…in pain….trouble dressing myself…pliers to open even water bottles, etc. Also I had been down to a Celebrex maybe 2-3 x a week. Now I’m taking it 2 x a day and not getting much relief. Before this whole snafu I was in or near remission for several years. Needless to say I’m scared…is this a herx (I was taking the generic minocycline faithfully 3 x week before my symptoms started to return)? Or, is this a failure of AP?

CMS12,

So sorry you are having such a difficult time. Sounds like the Minocin may be hitting its mark, and you possibly are having a herxheimer reaction. Even though you’ve taken abx in the past, your body could have become even more acidic and a haven for more organisms since that previous period of time you were taking abx.

It would be helpful for those who would like to reply and share some suggestions with you if they knew more of your health history, current abnormal labs, your diagnoses, other medications, supplements, and protocols you are on. This might help to better assess what may be going on and be helpful.

If you don’t know how to add your profile so it will appear beneath your posts, just ask. Most of us know how it feels those early days. Keep the faith.

Gentle hug,
    AF

CMS12
    Participant

Hi A friend – thanks for your replay.

I have had RA for 14 years. Started AP April 2008 on brand Minocin after finding Roadback book and web site.Went into remission by December 2010. Did well until generic minocycline RX received in March of 2014. By late August 2014 was doing poorly. Finally got brand Minocin again in early September 2014. Taking that MWF 100 mg. now and doing really badly particularly on the days I take Minocin. Diet is super healthy. I changed that first in 2004. No sugar or white flour etc., no junk/processed foods, only organic, and lots of vegs. Pretty much nothing out of a box or package. Meat is primarily turkey. No pork and very rarely beef. If I do beef it is grass fed pasture beef only. Labs haven’t been done in awhile but have a doctors appt. next week. Six months on AP in 2008 RF and CRP started to drop dramatically. Labs were normal last time I had them done a year ago but not sure if RF was as that hasn’t been done since 2010.

Cindy

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Cindy

Sorry about your current woes. Sounds like a herx. De-tox – including drinking loads and loads of water – to help flush the toxins. If it becomes unbearable, you may need to dial back the dose even further and work up slowly. It would also be good to consult with an AP Doctor. People sometimes experience difficulty getting back on track symptom-wise after a break from mino. If you don’t have one and there’s no one near you, Dr S in Iowa will consult with your family doc or directly by email. You can ask for his details.

To put info about your history, labs, current regime and supplements etc in to your signature so that it automatically appears every time you post is a good idea. Take a look at others who have done this (A Friend’s, mine, Maz’s, m.’s etc).
    To do this, click on User Control Panel (above left). Click on Profile, then Edit signature. Input the information into that box and submit. You can update at any time by doing the same thing. Summarise because there is a 250 character limit (includes spaces)

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Lynnie – Thanks for your response. That’s the thing. I haven’t been off mino since 2008. The only thing that changed was six months of generic mino (Teva) until early Sept. this year when I demanded brand name. I had taken brand name only from 2008 until 2014. They gave me generic in March 2014 and that is when I started to decline.

I don’t know if this is a herx or not. I know I am getting worse by the day. The question is whether the generic mino caused this and now I’m herxing on brand name mino or if I need to change antibiotics! I’m stumped.

CMS12
    Participant

I wanted to respond to this old post by me. At that time I had been on brand Minocin for one month at 100 mg 1 x MWF and was definitely herxing. In the end I went back and researched what I’d done to get in remission the first time on Minocin in 2009 and 2010. I discovered that I had been taking a higher dose. For me I started improving dramatically in February of 2015 when I changed to 100 mg. 2 x a day MWF. So to be clear my symptoms remained severely disabling until I UPPED my dose. Once I did that I improved by about 75 percent. I mention this only because for some this may be true. The lower dose didn’t work for me. Once in remission the lower dose did keep me there for several years though.

As I’ve mentioned on another post I switched back to generic again in November of 2015 because insurance wouldn’t pay for Minocin. By January 2016 I had declined significantly so I decided to bite the bullet and pay for Minocin myself which I’ve been on now for five weeks. I’m still herxing but it’s only been five weeks so I’m hopeful.

Cindy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.