Home Forums General Discussion Minocin and generic minocycline

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    leerobert
    Participant

Hi,

I have checked with my local small town pharmacy and they are able to get Minocin 50 mg (Valeant). They are also able to get minocycline manufactured by Torrent, Teva, and Alvogen. Since we were questioning a drug sensitivity to minocycline back in Nov/Dec when my husband stopped medication, questioning if we would be better off with the brand name. His doctor wants to try him again on minocycline starting out with 50 mg dose. Just wanted to let you know that I am able to get Minocin currently, but only 50 mg dose. Any suggestions with the generic brands?

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

leerobert
    Participant

My pharmacist also called company to find out if generics are gluten free and Torrent was, but Teva/Actavis would not guarantee it. She is waiting to hear back from Alvogen.

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

CMS12
    Participant

Wow, that is great news for your husband. Brand Minocin is always the first choice. I did find that Torrent capsules worked well, but not Teva or Watson. I’m expetimenting right now with par tablets as my pharmacy couldn’t get Torrent. Good luck to you.

Cindy

PhilC
    Participant

Alvogen is an interesting new generic minocycline that contains no synthetic dyes; it is made in Portugal. Looking at the list of ingredients, I see no potential sources of gluten.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

I picked up Minocin at pharmacy on Monday and it was $332.00 for 60 capsules – 50 mg. Insurance would not cover without prior authorization, didn’t even try. Hope we are able to keep getting the brand. Was questioning our pharmacist about it and she said on the drug ordering site they don’t have it listed as discontinued and she said it will come up that way even if distributor has some of med left in stock but manufacture has discontinued it. The pharmacies here in North Dakota have to be owned by a pharmacist (state law) so we don’t have any large chain pharmacy, the only one being cvs cause they were grandfathered in years ago.

richie
    Participant

Believe it or not –that is a fantastic price –incredibly low –

leerobert
    Participant

McKesson is the distributor my local pharmacy uses. I didn’t think the price was bad either. We are able and willing to pay the higher price if we get good results as long as its not too bad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.