Home Forums General Discussion Minocin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

Does anyone know if they make 50 mg of brand name minocin. I tried to order it from CVS but they said that it was discontinued.

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

Aboyer, Valeant now owns the original brand Minocin (pelleted caps) and I think they are only available thru Walgreens in the US now due to some deal struck between these two corporate giants. Should still be available in 50 and 100 mg, but it’s cost is now beyond the reach of most folk:

http://www.drugchannels.net/2015/12/walgreens-and-valeant-devise-new-twist.html

aboyer
    Participant

I just called Walgreens and another pharmacy and they said that the manufacturer discontinued making Minocin and it was no longer available.
    I guess I’ll have to get a generic brand, just not sure which is the best generic to get.

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

Aboyer, ask Richie, because I’m pretty sure that he is still getting the original brand.

Alternatively, buylowdrugs.com is offering the Cynomyin brand: http://www.buylowdrugs.com/rx-drugs/minocin.php

Re: generic brands, there are a few recent discussion threads on this topic. You can find them by using the search box at the top of the page.

richie
    Participant

Hi Reading this it infuriates me —I just refilled my RX june 10 with brand –these companies are just damn lazy or are unable to go outside their own distribution . This is just one reason I prefer a small local pharmacist –its called service !!!!!!!!!!

richie
    Participant

Another reason is just plain economics –the med costs the pharmacy anywhere from 35–40 per capsule —I am friendly with my pharmacist –it costs him about 7200 for my supply of medicine –he makes the dispensing fee –and the co-pay which comes to about 95.00 –he told me when I renew – it throws his profit figures off for the entire month –but he does it –and quite frankly he has to make this investment cause he gets plenty of business from me and my wife —you take a giant chain like CVS Walgreens etc –they wont fill this because it just isnt worth it to them and they generally do no have any personal relationship with their customers

richie
    Participant

A last thought –Valeant customer support number is 800–321–4576 -suggest you folks call them directly

Maz
    Keymaster

Thanks for chiming in, Richie….yes, infuriating is an accurate descriptor!

CMS12
    Participant

Minocin has become a nightmare to order. I have been getting my script filled through Walgreens for years. I had trouble getting it last year and went on generic which just didn’t work for me. I did finally secure it last February and started seeing remarkable improvement just recently. Now Walgreens says they can’t get it. Further they claim it has been discontinued. So I called Vsleant and they said they are still manufacturing it and it is not on back order. They gave me the NDC code that pharmacies use to order it. I called CVS, Riteaid, King Soopers/ Kroeger, Wal-Mart and none of them can get it either. So, it seems Minocin may no longer be available through any chain pharmacies. Richie has recommended using a small non chain pharmacy but I am not pulling up any on google in my area. I am at a loss as to how to get it and Valeant was not helpful in that regard. They were at a loss as to why no pharmacy will fill for me. The pharmacies all told me the same thing. Their warehouse doesn’t stock it and won’t let them order it. Any ideas?

Maz
    Keymaster

Did Valeant give you any clues as to where you could buy it? Maybe call them again and ask if they can supply you with pharmacies in your area who will? If not, have you tried calling any online pharmacies in the US who might be able to special order it? Scraping the barrel here, but something odd is going on, because Walgreens and Valeant are supposed to be working together on distribution of their drugs!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/expectations-valeant-pharmaceuticals-2016-150758782.html

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Maz – After three hours of calling pharmacies it appears Express Scripts mail order can fill. I am having my prescription transferred to them and will keep everyone posted. Valeant had no answers for me when I called them as to what pharmacy could fill and simply reiterated what Walgreens told me which was to call all pharmacies. Walgreens told me Minocin had been discontinued. I was aware of the deal between Valeant and Walgreens but it seems Valeant’s increased price for Minocin has made it a drug that not many are using and it is not kept in stock. I suspect that it doesn’t pay to keep Minocin in stock at distribution centers that service pharmacies like Walgreens because after a year the drug expires and can’t be used. I’m just guessing on that but makes the most sense to me.

On a brighter note I am finally feeling well again. Not quite back to where I was two years ago when this debacle began but close. I started back on Minocin February 12th and began to have reduced symptoms about a week ago. Prior to that I was severely disabled. Now I am moving freely again but I did up my dose of Minocin from 200 mg. MWF by adding 100 mg. T,Th,Sat and Sun. That seemed to push me back towards remission. It took four months.

Good luck to everyone on this winding journey. Considering my experience thus far with trying to get brand Minocin it seems that we all may have to search for an alternative soon. It does not appear it will be available much longer. Valeant has priced themselves right out of the market.

Maz
    Keymaster

Well, the best news is that you’re getting back into remission! Yay!!! All in all, maybe the fight to find a supplier is worth the mental frustration, just for that….I think you’re right on about Valeant pricing themselves out of the market on Minocin. Ridiculous, considering it probably costs cents to produce each capsule! However, with the history of Minocin being a strong competitor against new rheumatic drugs in development, there could be a longer term market strategy with this. It’s business and all about profits.

Nikkoal
    Participant

What about ordering through a Canadian pharmacy?

CMS12
    Participant

Well darn! Express scripts said they were sending me Minocin and I received Torrent. I’ve tried Teva and Watson which didn’t work for me but it sounds like some have had good luck with Torrent. I’ll do a separate post since this isn’t my thread but wanted everyone to know I couldn’t get Minocin after all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.