Home Forums General Discussion Mayo Clinic article re RA, cancer and other diseases

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cookie
    Participant

Some research on RA etc.

Today, I found this article in my local paper: A DIFFERENT MEANS OF ATTACK

Could controlling blood vessel growth in the body be a key to treating rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other diseases?
    The answer is perhaps, according to Mayo Clinic experts.
    Angiogenesis is the term used to describe blood vessel growth. Researchers are trying to understand and better control this complex process. Most recent research has focused on cancer.
    Tumours can’t grow to life-threatening size unless they’re adequately nourished by blood. Therefore, they produce substances called angiogenic factors that promote the growth of tiny blood vessels.
    In rheumatoid arthritis, the abnormal growth of blood vessels contributes to joint damage. By developing medications that control blood vessel growth, this damage may be avoided or minimized.
    In the future, antiangiogenesis therapy may be part of a strategy for treating other diseases as well, including psoriasis and eye diseases such as glaucoma and retinitis pigmentosa.

From the Toronto Star April 23rd, 2013

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

Maz
    Keymaster

@cookie wrote:

Could controlling blood vessel growth in the body be a key to treating rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other diseases? The answer is perhaps, according to Mayo Clinic experts.

From the Toronto Star April 23rd, 2013

Hi Cookie,

Thanks for sharing this article you have found.

Incredible to think that the tetracyclines are still so under-rated by the field of rheumatology. It’s long been known that this class of antibiotics possesses anti-angiogenesis (anti-MMP) properties, first discovered by dentists! The following article was published in 1995…what is so surprising is that a presigious hospital, like Mayo, is only just getting it? 😕

http://www.brainlife.org/abstract/1995/gilbertson_beadling_s1995.htm

What’s kind of interesting is that there are currently pharmaceutical companies trying to develop a tetracycline without its anti-bacterial props, just for its immune-modulating effects. What will be interesting is how this type of tetracycline will work for rheumatic diseases. Will it be as effective as without the anti-microbial props? What of herxing? Without the anti-microbial props, herxing will no longer occur…bugs causing herxing will still be creating trouble in the body. We know that bugs like p. gingivalis (oral bacteria causing gingivitis) causes citrullination, the mechanism that activates anti-CCP antibodies and is indicative of more erosive, severe disease. While the effects of p. gingivalis may be ameliorated, the bugs causing the problem in the first place will still be there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2748386/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.