Home Forums General Discussion magnesium benefits vs. deficits

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dawn
    Participant

Trudi,

I just PM’d you, let me know if I needed to do more.

Thanks!
    Dawn

DawnF

Trudi
    Participant

I just sent you the info–
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

bonnielou
    Keymaster

I have used the Calm magnesium as well, and never had a bad reaction from it. I read Carolyn Dean’s book The Magnesium Miracle and found it very helpful. She also has information on her website http://drcarolyndean.com/.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Dawn,
    @Dawn wrote:

We have both been using “Calm” magnesium citrate, at about 350 mg. in the evening before bedtime – not with other meds/supplments.

I prefer to take smaller doses throughout the day so as to minimize the laxative effect. The highest dose I will take at one time is 200 mg. My preference, though, is for a smaller dose– about 150 mg per capsule or tablet. I always take magnesium with a meal.

Your friend may want to try a different magnesium citrate product, or a different form of magnesium. A good alternative to magnesium citrate is magnesium malate, which is what I take (Source Naturals brand).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Dawn
    Participant

Trudi, Thank you! Received the PM info. and will make use of it!

Bonnie, the CALM seems good for me; just not for her (at this point). Your regimen seems very similar to mine – so I’ve been (secretly) using you as a touchstone.

Phil, that’s what I was thinking for her – smaller/and possibly different form of magnesium. I handle the full 350 mg. well and sleep WAY better than prior to adding it (use to be 2 1/2 to 3 hours, now 5-6 hours).

Okay, I’m off to share all my findings from everyone, I think she’ll be thrilled with the additional info. and thoughts.

Can’t thank ALL enough, ever, just hoping everyone gains the upperhand in their own very personal battles!
    Best,
    Dawn

DawnF

Valsmum
    Participant

Dear Dawn,

I take magnesium almost daily , I think it helps with so many things, but I am wondering why your friend feels worse after taking it. Some people are sensitive to starches, I know I can’t eat any without feeling worse and whenI avoid them completely I feel wonderful,it just takes a lot of will power on my part and I fail often.Is the magnesium a pill ? Maybe the filler is bothering her? That is my only guess, hope she feels better soon.Take care.

Dawn
    Participant

Valsmum,

I didn’t see any additives in the CALM that we’ve been taking. However, you are correct in that she is extremely sensitive to starches (and gluten) and does avoid those like a plague. I do not seem as sensitive, but definitely do try to avoid without going to the umpteenth degree; I am more militant about sugars.

Appreciate the insight there and will verify with the shop as to any “binders”. The CALM is in a powder form that is added to any drink including just plain water. Also, it is not a flavored mix.

Best always,
    Dawn

DawnF

kali
    Participant

Here is an exerpt from Dr. F. after a recent round table discussion by several physicians in Tampa, FL. Here is a link to that discussion: http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/264-physicians-round-table-2012

Protomyxzoa is likely transmitted by mosquitoes. Ticks are being analyzed.
    The protozoan is believed to be the foundation pathogen.
    It is not an intracellular bug; it is a big bug. Likely exists more on the surface of the RBC, not inside.
    Patients often get worse when on magnesium. He does not support the use of topical magnesium either.

Of course you don’t know if you have this Protomyxzoa Rheumatica unless tested for it.

Kali

RBFV Edit: AP Physician’s name removed to protect physician privacy, as per forum guidelines. Thanks for your understanding.

Trudi
    Participant

@kali wrote:

Patients often get worse when on magnesium. He does not support the use of topical magnesium either.

Hi Kali–
    Thanks for bringing this entire article to our attention. What a massive amount of information and differing of opinions. I like this one the best: Dr. Gruning,

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Dawn
    Participant

My friend just read through all these posts so she could absorb firsthand the (excellent) posts and subsequent details shared here. She felt just the same as I do: what an exquisite resource this is to have so many with such varying degrees of challenges grouped together as a collective mind on “any” matter respecting this therapy.

The post concerning the mosquitos although last in the lineup (thank you Kari) – seems to be most indicated in her instance; go figure! In trying to ascertain a “trigger” instance for her RA, she recalled a mosquito bite that seemed to cause a large reaction both on her skin and internally.

We both giggled and winked on the “chocolate” post too, however! 😆

Hugs to all, and may the healing(s) continue (for all)!
    Dawn

DawnF

kali
    Participant

In regard to the low fat diet that many of us may be wondering about after reading some of the round table discussion: Here is some info from a friend of mine that sees a world renowned LLMD and her comments on the subject:

I asked Dr. D about the FL1953 parasite that lives in a biofilm that loves fat and here is her reply:

They assume that every patient has it and treat accordingly. She herself has talked to Dr. F. about this and so has Dr. K. When they first discussed it Dr. K was very much into putting their patients on an ultra low fat diet as suggested but they all went downhill and felt horrible. The body needs fat to make hormones and I would most likely gain weight due to hormone deficiencies and also because a low fat diet leads to a high carb diet. Eating a high carb diet can make you gain weight especially since my blood sugar already runs high on a low carb diet.

They have other/more effective ways of breaking up biofilm with enzymes, clay, and cistus tea and addressing the parasite like with Tri-Quench and Allicin in an inhaler and retention enemas with freeze dried garlic and artemisinin .

Kali

RBFV Edit: AP Physician’s surname removed to protect physician privacy, as per forum guidelines. Thanks for your understanding.

York
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

I tried Calm for my son and myself and for some reason we could not tolerate it at all. Terrible nerve pain, electrical zap feelings came. I’m still stumped by this one. We have had good luck with magnesium glycinate. Magnesium aspertate was good for us too, but I feel we got better results from glycinate.

I think sometimes we just have to try different types to see what works best for us. I hope your friend finds one that works for her soon.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

I tried to find the ingredients in magnesium Calm, but they are not listed. It only says “natural ingredients“, so it means that there is more than just magnesium.
    If you check the container, is calcium listed, too?
    Some supplements containing magnesium also have calcium added, usually in the ratio 1:2, which happens to be what healthy people need.
    My need for magnesium is very big and any amount of calcium, especially in double the amount of magnesium, constricts the veins and produces muscle spasms, pain, heart problems.
    Pure magnesium is great, though occasionally when I skip it for a day, I can get some short spasms of pain right after I take magnesium, when some bigger tension in the muscles is being released.

If the acidity of magnesium citrate bothers you, you can add a little bit of baking soda to the solution.
    I take magnesium malate capsule in the morning and then 1 or 2 times a day I add magnesium citrate powder to ascorbic acid powder + a bit of baking soda + some juice for the taste. Occasionally I use additionally magnesium chloride spray.
    I hope your friend finds what works best for her.
    Krys

Dawn
    Participant

York & Krys,

Thank you for the additional information – she will look into another form of Magnesium as she feels it should be part of her diet regularly since she uses the FIR sauna in addition to many other things. I didn’t see where the CALM had any additional ingredients (listed anyway) either – so I will check with the CN we both use that is pretty savvy to most supplements and the various brand differences.

Again, appreciate the additional insights, this post appears to have turned out far more useful than I could have imagined!

May all thrive!
    Dawn

DawnF

richie
    Participant

Hi–A few years ago I remember using chol mag tablets –which is choline magnesium –it was 750 mg twice a day for my terrible back at the time –two weeks of taking it –no more back pain !!!!!
    richie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.