Home Forums General Discussion magnesium benefits vs. deficits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dawn
    Participant

Both myself and my friend have RA and have dramatically changed our diets, supplements and activities to try to get, and then maintain, an upper hand.

Recently she introduced magnesium into her regimen in order to aid in sleeping at night, however, she is finding that each time she has included it – her inflamation seems to go up correspondingly. I have not been able to notice any response like that for myself – but to be fair, I am still battling inflammation at this (now not so early) stage of my RA while waiting for Plaquenil, Minocycline, and the dreaded and unfortunate dosage of Predisone to have their impact on me.

I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience with the magnesium; as she does feel it should be a part of her regimen; but does not want to disregard the inflammation occurring if that is trying to tell her something.

I researched what I could on the matter, but I am coming up blank with any connection to getting inflammation from it’s use; rather than the opposite.

Any ideas or experiences that you feel would bear on the subject would be welcome!

Best to all,
    Dawn

DawnF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

What magnesium product was she taking, and what dose was she taking?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

razzle
    Participant

If she’s taking the magnesium at the same time as other medications or supplements, the magnesium may be preventing the absorption of those other meds/supplements.

Also, some forms of magnesium are not well absorbed and may speed up transit time in the gut – thereby reducing absorption of meds and such. Magnesium Malate (malic acid + magnesium) is supposedly the best form for those with connective tissue disorders/Fibromyalgia.

Dawn
    Participant

We have both been using “Calm” magnesium citrate, at about 350 mg. in the evening before bedtime – not with other meds/supplments.

DawnF

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hello Dawn,
    I believe the magnesium citrate to be the best one, as I did a lot of reading up about magnesium. As you I’ll know magnesium is essential for all muscles including heart, nervous system as well as other things.
    I wouldn’t have thought it would make your friend worse, but who knows with this silly affliction with have? 🙄
    I wish both good luck! And get well soon!
    Rosemary UK

Dawn
    Participant

Appreciate the responses PhilC, Razzle & Rosy – I will share them with her. Kinda seems like just another “strange” thing to be sure. Just shows how much this is very individualized with respects to the triggers. She and I are both thankful for the common denominator to at least be identified to the degree that we have an idea of the enemy and how to attack!

We’ll just track more carefully how soon, how long, and if she really should cease the dosage – or maybe break it out into smaller amounts or a different form (pill rather than liquid).

Our best to everyone here, the small and the great postings are everyone of them useful!!!

Dawn

DawnF

A Friend
    Participant

@Dawn wrote:

Both myself and my friend have RA and have dramatically changed our diets, supplements and activities to try to get, and then maintain, an upper hand.

Recently she introduced magnesium into her regimen in order to aid in sleeping at night, however, she is finding that each time she has included it – her inflamation seems to go up correspondingly. I have not been able to notice any response like that for myself – but to be fair, I am still battling inflammation at this (now not so early) stage of my RA while waiting for Plaquenil, Minocycline, and the dreaded and unfortunate dosage of Predisone to have their impact on me.

I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience with the magnesium; as she does feel it should be a part of her regimen; but does not want to disregard the inflammation occurring if that is trying to tell her something.

I researched what I could on the matter, but I am coming up blank with any connection to getting inflammation from it’s use; rather than the opposite.

Any ideas or experiences that you feel would bear on the subject would be welcome!

Best to all,
    Dawn

Hello Dawn,
    Just read the posts under your quote above, and thought if you don’t know about this online book on magnesium that can be searched, you might find it helpful:

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/preface.shtml

There is a search window on the first page of the book that shows up when using the above link. It will let you define the search words you would like to use. This book is considered one of the best sources of research information about magnesium. I personally have found amazing and helpful information in it. Dr. Seelig, now deceased, was one of the foremost researchers on this subject. Such a treasure to have this complete book online for searching and reading.

Don

Dawn
    Participant

A friend,

Very helpful website, bookmarked and I will peruse it as I can. The reasoning for the acidic state could very well apply; she slipped on taking her supplements regularly and in measured doses due to finances and has recently returned to them and we thought the magnesium would be a good addition for sleep and because she has been using a fir sauna now.

Hummmm…got some deeper thinking to do, but it feels like a real possibility.

Stay well, stay better!
    Dawn

DawnF

kali
    Participant

Hi Dawn,
    I recently added both zinc and magnesium to my supps. After about 3 days of imflammation gradually building it hit a peak and I attributed it to the addition of these supps. Once I stopped them, the imflammation subsided. Since I did them both simultaneously I am not sure if one or both brought on this state and I’m unsure if they caused a herx or just a bad reaction somehow. I will not be taking them for a while!

Kali

A Friend
    Participant

@Dawn wrote:

A friend,

Very helpful website, bookmarked and I will peruse it as I can. The reasoning for the acidic state could very well apply; she slipped on taking her supplements regularly and in measured doses due to finances and has recently returned to them and we thought the magnesium would be a good addition for sleep and because she has been using a fir sauna now. Hummmm…got some deeper thinking to do, but it feels like a real possibility.

Stay well, stay better!
    Dawn

Dawn, about your comments which I’ve highlighted with bold red print above. This might be the problem. My thinking on this (and, of course, is not in stone) is:

First, it is my belief that those of us with chronic illnesses are already deficient in many needed vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, and especially in amino acids if/when we become unable to digest protein foods efficiently — all these just naturally needed even when we are healthy, to stay healthy. After we are ill for a while, our bodies become unable to do important tasks that when healthy we routinely do. (A biggie is to make more glutathione when what the body has made runs out. This was a problem for me, and I found I needed such as Non-denatured whey protein (a therapeutic kind, not the products usually found even in a health store; there are posts on this subject, too.)

Second, assuming your friend was deficient and ill, and then was not able to consume/absorb needed nutrients, her condition might deteriorate a bit more.

Then third, when she began the FIR sauna, it is excellent to help the body detox through the skin, increase circulation, and a lot of other good things happen. However, to cite Dr. Sherry Rogers’ detailed instructions about FIR use, she instructs on this and warns about the necessity of certain supplements and fluids to use prior to, during, and after sauna use — because sweating can/will further deplete our body of minerals, trace minerals, and other nutrients. The book title is “Painfree in Six Weeks” (which I purchased from PrestigePublishing.com when I heard Dr. Rogers speaking about the FIR on a weekly Dallas radio program, “Healthy by Nature.” (Dr. Rogers does not sell anything; she is a medical doctor with about 5 degrees.) I was very impressed with information about its use after I heard her hour-long interview on this. A friend I shared the recorded tape with, actually was so impressed, she began a business. You can go to the host’s online site and actually listen to this program even now. (If you need details on accessing it, I can find it for you in the archived show list. The program has now changed to XM radio.)

The above may or may not be why your friend has further gone downhill, but my best guess is that she is quite deficient in needed nutrients to help keep her pH in a healthy range. When I finally tested my pH when I had been going through such a painful long period of time, I was as acidic as the pH strips measured. I’m sure there probably are many posts by myself and others on this topic on the BB which can be searched.

Good luck to both of you,
    AF

Dawn
    Participant

A friend,

I will review with her the website link you provided and the (very helpful) additional detail. Thank you very much for saving me numerous brain cells in thinking activity on the topic. It does pretty much present with the acidic facts/reactions – maybe she needs to get more ontop of the background minerials, then add small dosing/small increases in the magnesium moving forward? It will be her decision (ha! always was!) but everyone’s thoughts on this are most helpful in feeling more confident about choosing a direction.

Can’t thank all enough except to say I hope I can supply back anything in comparison with what I’ve learned!

Have a wonderful day,
    Dawn

DawnF

A Friend
    Participant

@Dawn wrote:

A friend,

I will review with her the website link you provided and the (very helpful) additional detail. Thank you very much for saving me numerous brain cells in thinking activity on the topic. It does pretty much present with the acidic facts/reactions – maybe she needs to get more ontop of the background minerials, then add small dosing/small increases in the magnesium moving forward? It will be her decision (ha! always was!) but everyone’s thoughts on this are most helpful in feeling more confident about choosing a direction.

Can’t thank all enough except to say I hope I can supply back anything in comparison with what I’ve learned!

Have a wonderful day,
    Dawn

Dawn, one more thing I noticed, and made note of it. I did a search on Dr. Seelig’s book using “magnesium chloride”, the type magnesium I learned about in a paper on this topic by P. Braun and S. Rogers, when I was thinking I would probably have to resort to Magnesium IVs to adequately elevate the levels of magnesium I needed to address the apparent buildup of acidic wastes in my fascia, etc. The search just now indicated the preferred one per their research was magnesium chloride (and gave very interesting historical information in research for prostate and urinary problems, and senility. The research mentions that magnesium chloride is available in a pill form. The one I’ve used for several years is a liquid in a dropper bottle, and lasts a while — about 3 bottles for $45. (The pill form is the same type magnesium and was/is very beneficial for guys with problems during the night and their prostate problems. A simple search on Dr. Seelig’s book, using the words “magnesium chloride” should find this again easily under section 13, labeled “Prostate” and the next paragraph “Senility.” If I weren’t already convinced about mag. chlor. being a good one, I would become so after reading there. This was the type magnesium available in the dropper bottles at strengths close to those gotten in the IVs. I was relieved to find it in the back of one of Dr. S.R.’s books, for I knew IVs would be much more expensive than a supplement.

Also, just found a link I’d saved in a paper back in 2008, that may educate you and your friend a bit more on magnesium chloride:

Magnesium Choride for Health & Rejuvenation by Walter Last
    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/magnesiumchloride.html

AF

Trudi
    Participant

Dawn–
    I also use magnesium chloride, but in a topical form. I get my magnesium oil from Ancient Minerals.
    http://www.ancient-minerals.com/products/magnesium-oil/

Here is a website that has a ton of information on magnesium chloride (as if you need more 🙂 )–
    http://magnesiumforlife.com/product-information/why-magnesium-chloride/

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Dawn
    Participant

Oh my! What a help this all is! I’m thinking I may make a switch (or an addition) to my supplements as well as my friend doing similarly.

I sure couldn’t realize what a help this small posting would prove to be! I sure hope others get to benefit by the information you’ve contributed.

Thank you as well for the links to the items you are both using!

Dawn

DawnF

Trudi
    Participant

Dawn–
    The Ancient Minerals is having a 40% off on all their products in the month of June. I don’t know if I can post the promo code on here, but if you are thinking of using any of their products, PM me and I will give it to you.
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.