Home Forums General Discussion Lyme Walk and Arthritis Foundation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Parisa
    Participant

I just found this link on Lymenet regarding a girl who has been very sick with Lyme disease. Some of her friends have organized a walk to raise money for her treatment. Some of the money will go to the Arthritis Foundation and they are going to be speaking at the walk. Are they actually acknowledging Lyme disease and its involvement in arthritis??? I’d be interested to hear what they have to say at the walk.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/106261#000004

Suzanne
    Participant

My understanding is that Lyme has always been connected to arthritis. In children, it has been explained to me by the powers that be, Lyme would present with one big fat knee. I think the controversy is what happens after they treat the acute Lyme disease. I think the Arthritis Foundation would then consider any remaining arthritis to be treated with traditional meds, as a chronic condition. i don’t think anyone disputes a connection between Lyme and arthritis, though.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Parisa,

I’ve followed the story of the little girl on lymenet. She has severe RA, and is severely debilitated from lyme and arthritis. Her parents are divorced, and it was difficult for her mother to get lyme treatment for her daughter, due to the dad’s resistance. At this point the arthritis is so bad, she’s had to turn to a biologic to keep her from further joint destruction.

They’re probably representing both sides; Lyme and the Arthritis Foundation. It’s great that she is getting support for all her medical bills and treatment. I’d like to be a fly-on-the-wall at that talk too…
    nancy

Suzanne
    Participant

Parisa’s link to the thread works, but the link within the thread for the .org doesn’t. I takes me to GoDaddy.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Suzanne,

I don’t think they’ve set up the page yet on GoDaddy. I think they were excited about the walk and wanted to get word out before the page was set up.

I know Lyme has always been associated arthritis. It’s getting rheumatologists and other doctors to even consider testing for it or looking for it that’s the issue. Then, as you say if the patient does test positive, they’ll give a short course of antibiotics and declare everything else “post-Lyme.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.