Home Forums General Discussion Lyme article- injection to protect against tick bites

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donna RA
    Participant

Looking for some other information, I came across this interesting article.

http://www.researchednutritionals.com/information.cfm?id=140

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Donna,

Thanks for posting this article! I'll post it to my Lyme support group and see if they have any insights about it.

The article says: 

“We have shown that a single injection of sustained-release antibiotics can prevent both diseases in mice.? A single dose of doxycycline given orally is only 20-30% effective at preventing these diseases in mice. The researchers found that a new formulation of doxycycline hyclate that is programmed to release the drug over a 20 day period is 100% effective”.

What I find very interesting is that they are producing this long-acting antibiotic injection of doxy, as a preventative measure, essentially a prophylactic, against Lyme. What confuses me is who do they plan on treating and would it have to be a continous 3 weekly shot? Lyme is found in every US state now and in many parts of the world. Also, you can get Lyme and, if treated promptly get over it, but you can still get repeat infections, if bitten again. Getting Lyme once doesn't protect you from future infections. Just trying to figure out how they plan on using this. 

Perhaps even more surprising is that this is the result of CDC (Centers for Disease Control) govt. funded research, which has been denying both the extent and the fact that chronic Lyme exists, with their concerns about abx resistance and long term use.

This is obviously a great advancement, but other considerations may be the other coinfections passed by ticks, like babesiosis, bartonella, ehrlichia (I always spell that one wrong!), etc., that often get missed and require other treatments. Mind you, I guess it's something that they're actually recognizing the anaplasmosis coinfection!

Wouldn't it be great, if they could produce a mino shot like this for us all?! Although….wouldn't help the pulsers much, I suppose.:doh:

Very interesting….thanks, Donna.

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

I was wondering if a mycoplasma immunization could be developed, like the pneumonia immunization. Or are there too many kinds of mycoplasma, plus, like you said, babesia, bartonella, etc. I suppose we could immunize ourselves to death and there would still be bugs out there that cause AI diseases. Still, an abx injection every 3 months sounds much better than the pills. I think the problem of pulsing might be addressed in the future with nanotechnology- but then again, you all know how I love my sci-fi!

linda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Lyme article- injection to protect against tick bites’ is closed to new replies.